received Acebeam K70 today

boo

Newly Enlightened
Took 20 days to get it.
Was shipped from China.
Installed some batteries and it works.
It is daylight outside, so the only thing I
have done is shine it on a interior wall.
Does not tell me much. I`ll have to wait till dark.
Will post my thoughts after I have a chance to
check it out good.
May have to order some more powerful batteries
to get max throw. Will see.

boo

Newly Enlightened
:popcorn:
Well? Did you use it last night? Thoughts? What brand and capacity of batteries did you use yesterday?

Yes, I tried it out last night. It was throwing a beam so far I did not have enough room
in my neighborhood to get a good feel for it s capabilities.
There is a park close to my house with at least three large ball fields. I plan to take it
there to get a better idea of the beam distance.
Sure wish I had a range finder.
I hate it when people show beam shots and do not tell the distance. Also not fond of
people doing beam shots of white buildings.
For the time being, i`ll have to guesstimate distances.
Some here have suggested the batteries I bought may not be the best choice for this
light.
So far it seems to hold turbo pretty good but, I have not had time to fully assess the
batteries, power, run time etc..
The batteries I am using now are Orbtronic 3400Ah 18650 protected Panasonic 3.7V
10 amp dual protection BT.
Some members here have suggested these might not be the best choice for the K70.
I plan to try some Samsung q30 s from Mtn. Electronics when they get them back in
stock.
I need more time to give an honest assessment of this light.
I am kinda new to LED. This only my third quality LED light,
and my first thrower.

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Buy a Lemax LE 70, with almost 3000 kcD, and 3 kilometers of reach...3000 meters.

A friend of mine, has also a k70vn, or so, and still cannot outthrow a carhighbeam....of a Renault Scenic...2006...2010, or so.

He tested his k70vn, against his TM36, with 300 plus kcD, and, there was not much difference...read..his words..NOT mine.

I think i go buy, the Lemax LE 70 HID spotlight, with 3000 kcD, and then you beat ALL light sources...Airplanelights....carlights......and so on.

I want the best of the best.

He says, all lights below 1000 kcd, are poop. Above 1000 kcD...you are gonna get somewhere.

boo

Newly Enlightened
I think there is a range measuring feature in Google Maps. Other CPF members report using it.

Cheers.

Thanks, i`ll check it out.

Update: I tried it and found out how to use the
distance feature.
Very pleased to have learned this.
Thanks again.

Other than general searches, Google Maps and YouTube
are my two favorite things on the net.

Last edited:

boo

Newly Enlightened
Buy a Lemax LE 70, with almost 3000 kcD, and 3 kilometers of reach...3000 meters.

A friend of mine, has also a k70vn, or so, and still cannot outthrow a carhighbeam....of a Renault Scenic...2006...2010, or so.

He tested his k70vn, against his TM36, with 300 plus kcD, and, there was not much difference...read..his words..NOT mine.

I think i go buy, the Lemax LE 70 HID spotlight, with 3000 kcD, and then you beat ALL light sources...Airplanelights....carlights......and so on.

He says, all lights below 1000 kcd, are poop. Above 1000 kcD...you are gonna get somewhere.

I have not had time to evaluate the light I just bought.
If I find it does not suit me, I will consider your suggestion.
Thanks.

ven

Flashaholic

Remco , has the Reno got maxabeam head lamps? :laughing:

What batteries is he using ? Something is not right there at all, I can tell you no car highbeam is getting close to my k70vn and can see the difference over the 400kcd tn32UTvn!!

Seriously you take the comment all lights bellow 1000kcd are *beep* . That's probably one of the worst single minded comments I have ever read.......

Anything 200kcd or more is impressive to me, still ample light down range for most uses......

You really need to move away from LED type throwers and look at maxabeam type lights to get your expectations met IMHO .

All things considered (cost/size) the k70 is a mighty fine thrower ....

easilyled

Flashaholic

What batteries is he using ? Something is not right there at all, I can tell you no car highbeam is getting close to my k70vn and can see the difference over the 400kcd tn32UTvn!!

Seriously you take the comment all lights bellow 1000kcd are *beep* . That's probably one of the worst single minded comments I have ever read.......

Anything 200kcd or more is impressive to me, still ample light down range for most uses......

You really need to move away from LED type throwers and look at maxabeam type lights to get your expectations met IMHO .

Mark, some people will only be satisfied with a flaslhlight that reaches the sun and then lights it with a brighter spot than the rest of the sun!!

RemcoM

Enlightened

Yes, maybe, my friend, has used very bad cheap batteries. I will ask him.

ven

Flashaholic
Unless it's faulty that can be the only explanation I can think of tbh Remco . It is quite an outstanding performer , certainly impressive!

easilyled

Flashaholic

A few points come to mind here .... but I may be wrong ... I'll stand corrected if I am.

Isn't the Lemax LE 70 about twice the size and weight of the K70?
Isn't it more than 10 times the cost?
Can the human eye see 3000 meters?
Are HID bulbs as durable and as long lasting as leds?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few points come to mind here .... but I may be wrong ... I'll stand corrected if I am.

Isn't the Lemax LE 70 about twice the size and weight of the K70?
Isn't it more than 10 times the cost?
Can the human eye see 3000 meters?
Are HID bulbs as durable and as long lasting as leds?

I've yet to see a LED light usable on a heavy gun like a M134 or M2 Browning. That's durability.

The LED can operate at its maximum rating for 10-15 minutes maximum, while HID lights will run at full power till the battery is depleted.

HID bulbs in handheld lights typically average 2500 hours of operation.

boo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help guys.

To KeepingItLight, your suggestion on using Google Maps distance option is a good one.
Now I have a new tool to use.
Using Google Map distance option I discovered that 1300 meters is a long way.

To Ven Your advice has been very helpful, thanks.

To Easilyled, in your post you said you wondered if a person can see at 3000 meters.
This is something I have been thinking about lately.
What is a practical distance one can see using a thrower light in the dark.
I know other things come into play like, poor eye sight, corrected eyesight,
telephoto lens, binoculars, etc..
This is something I plan to investigate further.
I would like to post some honest and accurate night time beam shots with the K70.
Unfortunately, I do not have the proper equipment to do it at this time.
Anyway, thanks to all of you.
boo

ps: What do you all think of scannerguys review of the K70?.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
believe it or not OP the best beam shots I have seen on the forum were taken with iPhones....I never have tried it that way but man..some of the best shots on the entire forum were taken with the average iPhone...how they set up the phone and the light for the shot I am not sure but it gets done. Accuracy of the iPhone pics is surprisingly good. All the pics I have posted were taken with an old Canon G10 the shots are so-so.

Google maps is either really good or really wrong. I have not used it as a range finder yet but when it comes to using it for driving Google maps has literally told me to say take a right turn...which would have led right into a cement wall etc. Good pro range finders are out there and fairly priced I think. I had one of the first laser rangefinders it worked for years but died. Luxmeters abound. Lots to choose from I am stuck between 3 at the moment.

Have not read scannerguys review yet will go do that. Read most of the K70 reviews so far and they are all nuts! This thing is a laser! Also kinda useless in my area...would easily get me in trouble accidentally lighting up somebodies house blocks away etc...its a BIG light TK61 size or a bit bigger that is pretty big.

As for cells..you are using Orbtronic 3400's? Okay those are actually fine. Read the confusing K70 manual and well..their own specs were attained with 3400mah cells so I am not sure what they are talking about when the manual says to use high amp cells. 3500mah 10ampers would be fine. The Samsung 30q's are actually overkill but are also fine.