Sudden death of Nitecore HC90

faucon

Enlightened
I normally run my HC90 on a Nitecore 3400 mAh 18650 or equivalent, but tonight I popped in a couple of my newish Olight RCR123As just out of curiosity. Bad move. The headlamp came on for a second or two, flickered, then died. The color LEDs still work, but the main LED (or circuit) seems to be fried---nothing when tried with 18650s or CR123 primaries. This is a true bummer, because I really like this lamp and it's also my most expensive. It looks as if the Olights overloaded the HC90, which I didn't expect at all. Any theories? The cause may be obvious to the highly experienced but I'm not sure how this happened.

ven

Flashaholic
The RCR's are 4.2v so 8.4v total V, the recommendation is for 2 CR123 cells which are 3.0v cells, looks like its fried it with the excess Voltage:mecry:

May take chance with nitecore and see if repair(more than likely cost), or send to vinh for an upgrade/repair(also cost).

faucon

Enlightened
That's what I was afraid of. I have some 3.0v RCRs but dropped in the Olight RCRs instead without thinking. Dang. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll think over the options.

Dear @faucon,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sorry to learn your beloved HC90 turned malfunctioning.
You can still get served while this seems to be a man-made defect. Please contacte your seller for warranty service. That's the quickest way to get served.
Meanwhile please send us an email with details to [email protected]. We will see to your issue immediately.

Nitecore Team

Mountain Bloke

Newly Enlightened
If Nitecore fixes it for free then kudu's to them!
Maybe I should be getting a Nitecore for my next light...:thinking: