Poor man's zerorez switch

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
Just an idea I came up with yesterday. It takes minutes and little resources to make. I used 1/4" brass screw along with stainless steel locking nut and spring washer, but other sizes and materials could be used. Also, I used an aluminum retaining ring from a mcclicky, but it is possible to use additional spacers/washers instead on the outside of the tailcap. Strategically placed O-rings could improve it's water resistance, something I did not address in this built. Instead of coins you could use proper size metal washers. End of the bolt could be cut down and polished to enable tail standing, or left as is for optional attachments.

Material used:
z41 tailcap
Mcclicky retaining ring
1 penny drilled with 1/4" hole
2 pennies drilled, cut and cut/trimmed, I used side cutters
1/4"-20 locking nut, locking spring washer
1/4"-20, 1-1/4" long brass screw with sanded/polished head
few inches of electrical #12 copper wire, optional to fill the space inside the retaining ring

Process:
Take z41 tailcap and drop in penny with a hole for the screw.

Screw down mcclicky retaining ring to sandwich the penny between the ring and the tailcap.

Stick the bolt with needed amount of washers made out of trimmed around pennies(two in this case), that are large enough not to fall through retaining ring but small enough not to impede on the path of the host's body threads.

Tighten the nut and optional spring washer on the outside of the tailcap.

I tested it and it works flawlessly just as a real counterpart.

27144118656_59af2e3329_z_d.jpg
27144126216_b4ba5de80a_z_d.jpg
27177072955_a24fb3de7e_z_d.jpg
27082023992_dff0dbf673_z_d.jpg
26571290084_acddd5dfd9_z_d.jpg

Last edited:

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
Observation. By adding 2 more penny washers to the stack of two, making it a stack of 4 behind the bolt's head, creating a longer contact stem, it can be used with stock unbored 6p and 2x16340 batteries. Original zerorez switch did not want to work in this setup, perhaps batteries are too short.

Last edited:

Latest posts