If marijuana was legalized, would -

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
now i'm not for the legalization of marijuana, but -

if marijuana was legalized, would all the citizens in prison be released, assuming they weren't in violation of anything else except possession?

i'm thinking not, 'cause it was illegal when they did it, but i was thinking about the backlash from ppl who have been convicted on related charges, and was really wondering this.

LukeK

Enlightened
On the topic of legalizing marijuana:

If pot were legalized the world would look like a 24 hour grateful dead concert. Now think: Is that REALLY what you want?

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brite one said:
Personally, I think that cigarettes and alcohol should be made illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might take a look at the time of prohibition earlier in America's history. Prohibition didn't turn out too well.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll never in a million years happen, we're a "free" society bound by extreme puritanical morals. I'm shocked that alcohol is legal in the US, well, at least there are "dry" counties that know better-they always seem to be in the most intelligent parts of the country-no inbred idiots there.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think alcohol is more unsafe the weed.i dont smoke weed though.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me going on this subject...oops, too late.

Every mind altering drug should be legal to use under certain circumstances. All these drugs are available to those who want them and those people are using them now, anyway, and the world isn't coming to an end because of it. Taxpayers would be relieved from supporting nonviolent prisoners who make up much of the two million incarcerated now. Let the burn outs die just like butt smokers and alcohol abusers - it's self limiting.

The 35 year old war on drugs has inflated the cost of drugs, lawyers, police, and prisons. We spend less on public education than prisons. Moreover, at least 10% of the population already gets to enjoy legally prescribed drugs.

500,000 or more die every year from alcohol and cigarettes. At best, 5000 die, annually, from drugs, so what's the REAL health problem, here? The real problem is that voters keep electing politicians who favor draconian punishment rather than education and treatment.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
The 35 year old war on drugs has inflated the cost of drugs, lawyers, police, and prisons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for one, illegal drugs have dropped in price... Here is an article from the UK about prices in the last 12 years.

Cost of illegal drugs plummets

[ QUOTE ]
The price of illegal drugs has fallen sharply over the past 12 years, triggering claims that drugs are now cheaper and more attractive to young people than alcohol.
According to Home Office figures released today, the prices of ecstasy, cocaine, heroin and cannabis have all dropped since 1990.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet the same is true in the US.

Hmmm, alcohol and cigarettes are legal and expensive because the government makes big bucks on them.

How about the same for "illegal" drugs.

Hmmm., many legal prescriptions drugs are hyper expensive in the US... Perhaps they should make those illegal to get the prices down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

-Bill

Against Drugs, but more against Big Government

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
...Let the burn outs die just like butt smokers and alcohol abusers - it's self limiting...

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

i think the effects of drugs are not at all limited to the users.
not only are the users being hurt, but innocent people are being hurt too.
escpecially with the "heavier" drugs. people on drugs tend to do some really dumb things, including (but not limited to) drive poorly, make poor decisions, become unaware of the difference between dream or reality, become violent, etc etc etc.

with pot, this isn't so much a problem. i admit that i know very little about drugs, but while pot seems to be fairly "safe", other drugs are a definate threat not only to the users, but to anyone in proximity with them.

of course it can be said the same thign with alcahol to. thousands of people a year die from drunken driving (drunks and sobers alike). this is a horrible thing, but the effects of alchahol are less drastic than most drugs.

i'm personally of the opinion that it should not. it has far too many drawbacks.
the same can be said about alchahol. it can be used in an appropriate manner, but too often it isn't.

without turning this into a thread about laws and penalties involving drugs and alchahol, i'd like to say that the only thing that's sure to help is tougher punishment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

rehabs sometimes work, sometimes they don't. if a person doesn't get through rehab, lock them in jail. sure, jail is expensive, but so are medical and legal bills.
argueing that prisons use more money than schools is completely irrelovant. sure i want to trim prison spending down, and sure i want to increase education, but i don't want to let criminals run free just so we can spend more money on schools.

if alchahol and pot are going remain/become legal, then certain laws and regulations should be put in place, with severe punishments.

sorry for going off on some tangents there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have always had some levels in addiction--A bad period was a result of the US Civil War (1860's). Many solders ended up hooked on Morphine.

The major efforts were the result of Nixon (1969 or so) seeing the rise in Heroin usage in several major US cities. And, an estimated 25% of the solders coming back from Vietnam with heroin addictions.

From what I had read, Nixon wanted to increase law-enforcement early, but he had a budget problem and instead, created/funded/increased (?) rehabilitation programs for the addicted--and, as I remember, it worked in a pretty cost effective manner.

Later, when more money was available, they were able to do the tough on crime / war on drugs type programs--that left us what we have now.

There are probably no safe drugs (I remember when Cocaine was thought to only be psychologically addicting and therefore not too bad). They all have pretty serious physical complications. And, if like alcohol and gambling, 10% or so of the population is genetically prone to abuse from their first use... Many can use (some types of) drugs without addiction issues (use recreationally). Some, after their first taste/use are hooked and are hooked and on a downward progression if help is not available (or even if help is available)--true for both alcohol and (I think) marijuana.

I don't know how we can become more draconian in our punishment--powder cocaine rots your nose off, heroin destroys your veins, injections give all sorts of diseases, ruins family and finances, risks jobs/jail, kills in auto accidents and overdoses, marijuana stays in fat cells for up to a month, LSD flashbacks, long and short term memory loss, etc...

A few more years in jail? Jail is already more comfortable than sitting on a cold/foggy sidewalk in SF. Death? Ruin your reputation? Drugs do this already. When we go into San Francisco, we point to the homeless and ask our daughters if they want to grow up to be a drug user...

Personally, I would address how welfare destroys families today... Makes males worthless (Uncle Sugar supplies more cash reliably), gives everyone too much free time (no workfare requirements). Males with poor to no schooling, no job skills, a culture of crime, young kids are in exposed situations (street sales, stealing, killings--juvenal will release kids multiple times on probation before first jail term, almost no chance of staying in jail past age 25 for juvenal offenses)...

Social Security Insurance / local city payments to homeless are made even if adiction/abuse is present/obvious. Food Stamps / ATM food program cards have little stigma and are convertible to cash for 50-75 cents on the dollar.

Giving money to beggars on street corners, freeway exits, squeegee men, etc.... All this (and charity/government monies) is funding the drug use, while homeless get free cloths/shelters/food kitchens/cell phones (yes cell phones) to supply their non-drug needs to the indigent.

All of the above have made Drug Use just another live-style option... In the old days, if you could not provide your own food / shelter, or follow someone else's rules (family, charity, military, prison, etc.) of proper behavior, you probably just died in the wilderness or the streets.

-Bill

now depressed for the evening...

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

Heck, I am probably too conservative to live in California at this point.

-Bill

Greta

Flashaholic
Bill... you really need to move to Arizona... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As usual, your post is my thoughts... only much better articulated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

One thing I would add to your statement, "All this (and charity/government monies) is funding the drug use..." ... drug addiction is considered a disability by the government and thus entitles one to a monthly SSI check. There have been many documented cases where the druggie gets his check and goes around the corner and hands it over to his dealer. Gotta love that system... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
If marijuana was legalized, would...we have not spent trillions of dollars in a futile effort? The war on drugs has produced no discernable results.

If marijuana was legalized, would...we not have over crowded prisons with non-violent offenders? No we wouldn't, and we wouldn't be dumping billions of dollars to support those in prison.

If marijuana was legalized, would...we have many people with ruined lives over something that recreationally is similar to alcohol, and argueably even less dangerous? No we wouldn't, and most people on marijuana are passive, while acohol tends to lead to a violent demeaner.

If marijuana was legalized, would...we have a world that looks like a 24 hour a day Greatful Dead concert? I think the repeall on probition proved that out. Not everyone got drunk when it was repealled.

If marijuana was legalized, would...we have more money? Yes considering the waste we now have, and the tax that could be collected. Which brings up another point, How can you tax an illegal substance without condoning it?

If marijuana was legalized, would...we have a government that is not secretly in the drug running business, while at the same time locking people up for the things they provide? No we wouldn't, as there would be no profit in locking people up. As things are now they make a profit from supplying the drugs, then they make a profit from locking up drug offenders. Does that seem like a conflict of interest to anyone else?

I could go on, and on, but the fact is the war on drugs is the biggest farce, and most monetary defunct venture to date.

And of course the disclaimer... we were talking about marijuana, a naturally organic plant, not manufactured chemical drugs.

jtice

Flashaholic
Alchohol and Ciggeretts have done ALOT more harm and death than pot ever will.

I truely cant beleave cigs are legal, and pot isnt. I mean, come on ppl,,, look at the facts. Which is worse for you?

Also,,, I hate when ppl say that there are plenty of auto accidents that happen under the influence of marijuana.
Why? Cuz alot of ppl get high! LOL
The accident wasnt CAUSED by marijuana, they were just under the influence of it at the time.
I am not saying that its not going to affect your driving at all, but, would you rather have a drunk, or stoned person drive you around?

If marijuana was made legal,,, alot less ppl would die over drug deals gone bad. Alot less ppl would be in jail for something as dumb as smoking alittle pot.

"But marijuana is a gateway drug!" What the heck is beer???

"Its still a "DRUG" that you are using." What is beer??? What is Nicotien??? What is CAFFEEN ???

I just think is alcohol is legal, marijuana should be. Sence every aspect of alcohol is worse.
Just seems as backwards to me.

P.S. Stay off drugs!..... and Especially Alcohol !!!