TV add military flash light

boo

Newly Enlightened
Been seeing an add on tv for a powerful flashlight.
The size is small to medium.
Here is the kicker, they are advertising this light as
putting out 5000 LUX.
At the moment the name of the light eludes me.
I think it is called the "Atomic Beam".
This is a joke, right?.
How could a small hand held light put out 5000 LUX?.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one in that ad is probably a scam. If its anything like the G700 or X800, they took a $6 light, jacked the price up to $75 and then advertised it as a "Navy seals" or "military" light.

That said, 5000 lux isn't ridiculously high for a small pocket light. Even those cheap zoomable scam lights will do 15,000 lux in spot mode.

There are small pocket-sized lights available which have over 20,000 lux. If you're willing to hot-rod a light with maximum power and top quality components, it's probably possible to get 60,000 or more lux from a pocket light. If you're willing to go for a larger non-pocket sized custom light, there are ones available that can output 1 million lux or more.

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Saw the commercial last night I think on cnn or discovery channel looked like a G700, two for 19.99, first time seeing the commercial made me laugh.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL oh man. It is amazing that people are apparently buying these things. They are made by Meco in China and Meco just inscribes whatever a mass buyer wants onto the light. What bothers me the most is that they often sell in packages with a mystery no name rechargeable cell and charger. Those cells are straight up fire hazards.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Saw the commercial last night I think on cnn or discovery channel looked like a G700, two for 19.99, first time seeing the commercial made me laugh.

Yes, I recently saw it too, and it was a reputable name, Bell and Howell, or GE, or something like that. Yeah... 19.99 for one, and another one FREE! Just pay an extra $10 shipping and handling.

LOL oh man. It is amazing that people are apparently buying these things. They are made by Meco in China and Meco just inscribes whatever a mass buyer wants onto the light. What bothers me the most is that they often sell in packages with a mystery no name rechargeable cell and charger. Those cells are straight up fire hazards.

I agree.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
So far I know three people that have bought them. Oh well, just more people with flashlights that put out 300 blue lumens. What are we going to do but sulk in a dark corner with our own flashlights?
Probably my biggest concern is that so many of their batteries will explode that the TSA will ban 18650 batteries on airplanes. Lucky for us not many people think to bring a flashlight on a plane so security can stay focused on walking replacements and leave my expensive batteries alone.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
theres a Shadowhawk(I think that is it)that is a 26650 light. Comes with mystery no print on the wrap 26650 and mystery charger. Just makes my skin crawl knowing that it is just destined that these things are going to end up starting fires and hurting people. I remember being a lithium ion Newb. I had just gotten my first Fenix the killer TK15 and two Ultrafire 3100mah red wrapper cells and the first i4 charger. Man those things...I am very luck that I did not burn my house down or get overwhelmed by the gagging strong chemical smell they put off when they were charging.

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
Lucky for us not many people think to bring a flashlight on a plane so security can stay focused on walking replacements and leave my expensive batteries alone.

Indeed. Needless to say, if the power goes out on an aircraft, illuminating the cabin is probably the least of your worries.

I saw one of these ads on TV just a couple nights ago too, when I was visiting my parents on Father's Day. I recognized the flashlight design IMMEDIATELY, and told them what a scam they were. I got a huge kick out of them showing an Amazon ad for another brand of the exact same cloned light.

Interestingly, I just checked Amazon. A large portion of the ads for these lights under all their myriad brand and model names have been deeply discounted. They probably realize that, now that the ads are on TV for these, these sellers will lose their shirt if they can't compete.

Not all of them, though. These guys remain stubbornly optimistic. XD

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Indeed. Needless to say, if the power goes out on an aircraft, illuminating the cabin is probably the least of your worries.
Well it is more about having the light at whichever place I am traveling to. I am pretty sure that it is not allowed to have lithium batteries in check bags already.