Extra set batteries for Nitecore TM16 4000 lumen CREE LED flashlight

livemusic

Newly Enlightened
I own this -- Nitecore TM16 4000 Lumen CREE LED Flashlight/Searchlight, i4 charger, 4 X Nitecore NL183 18650 Li-ion batteries.

I want an extra set of batteries for fishing at night. I need to shine ahead of my boat while running the river, to watch for snags / stumps in the water. This flashlight is awesome, SO bright! I have read quite a bit and am more confused than when I started, lol. Can someone recommend good batteries to buy? The ones I have are fine but I want an extra set in case I run them down.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always just get a couple more sets of Nitecore cells. Keep power, Olight, Efest, Sanyo, Panasonic, AW, Samsung are all good brands as well. Right now the largest capacity readily available is 3400 mAh, I believe. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive. I personally would rather buy two sets of 2700 mAh or 3200 mAh cells instead. Not much more money for both sets than the single higher capacity set, and a longer available run time as well. Don't forget that Nitecore lights need their cells to have the button on the positive pole. Whether or not they are protected is your call. If you feel comfortable, adding a small high power rare earth magnet to a flat top cell will work, and you will see arguments both for and against.

Note: Right now BangGood is selling Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh unprotected cells for $6.99 USD, with free shipping. I know a lot of the Budget Light Forum members bought those as the button top was done as a special run for a group buy they had, and BangGood has some left over they are selling. I bought eight for my TM16GT and TM16.

livemusic

Newly Enlightened
Does the TM16 only allow button tops? That answer, and length requirements to fit in the light will narrow down the shortlist.

How do I find out the answers to this? (I only know of regular looking batteries; I didn't know batteries are available with flat tops.

What does "protected" mean?

BTW, I seem to recall that LED flashlights have some inherent danger to them but a google search didn't reveal much. Perhaps I didn't search for the right phrase.

I don't know much, lol, but I sure like my flashlight.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-Ion cells are made with flat tops and without protection. Some resellers add a protection circuit that guards against over charging, short circuits, and running the cell down too far. Usually when a protection circuit is added a button top is added to the cell as well. Also, the addition of the protection circuit adds slightly to the length of the cell, as well as its diameter. This means that a protected cell might not fit where an unprotected cell would.
Most protection circuits will shut off if more than three amps is attempted to be pulled from the cell. Some lights and other uses such as vapping require more than three amps, so unprotected cells must be used. Since there is no low voltage cut off without a protection circuit, it is the users responsibility to make sure the cell is not drawn down too far. Draining a cell below 3v will shorten a cell's life, and may physically damage the cell. Also, since there is no overcharge protection with an unprotected cell, a good charger is a must - one that will not overcharge the cell.
Li-Ion cells are touchy beasts. Over charging, over discharging (shorting, etc) can cause a cell to overheat and vent very noxious fumes. Draining a cell too low will shorten a cells life, and if low enough, will cause physical changes in the cell that can lead to internal shorts in the cell, which leads to outgassing, and possible explosions. A good, reliable volt meter is a must when working with Li-Ion cells to allow monitoring the cell voltage to determine when to recharge, and to keep from draining the cell to far down.
There is a section in the Battery University on the care and feeding of Li-Ion cells, and many threads here on CPF with good advice as well. Look at those, and feel free to ask any questions you may have here in the Forum. Remember, the only foolish question is the one unasked.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the TM16 only allow button tops? That answer, and length requirements to fit in the light will narrow down the shortlist.
Most, if not all Nitecore lights require button tops as part of their physical reverse polarity protection. They have raised areas where the positive end of the cell feeds the driver that will not allow a flat top to make contact. This keeps damage from happening if by chance a cell is inserted in reverse.