Let's Reminisce About The Flashlights Our Relatives and Neighbors Used

ericjohn

Enlightened
Note:
It could be what your neighbors or relatives currently use, but should be what they used years ago.

The only reason why I didn't list the current ones is either because I don't know or the person has passed away.

If you remember what flashlights your relatives and neighbors use(d), the post on this thread.

So, here goes:

I am attempting to document all of the flashlights that my neighbors and relatives used when I was a child in the late 1980s through the 1990s. I say neighbors and relatives because many of my relatives were also in fact neighbors. This was truly an awesome time for flashlights, as it was the last decade before the personal lighting equipment industry lost its innocence to the LED. Aside from modern flashlights, the three decades of flashlights I enjoy most are the 1960s and the 1980s-90s.

My family did not subscribe to Internet service until the Summer of 2000. Therefore, the only brands I was familiar with were those sold in brick and mortar stores. I knew mostly about your run of the mill Rayovac, Eveready/Energizer, Garrity, Brinkmann, Coleman, Maglite as well as the in house brands. I had no knowledge of Sure Fire or Streamlight. That meant that Maglite was what I and most everyone else who didn't have Internet access thought was the ultimate flashlight available. Also there was no Terralux, Fenix, 4Sevens, Thorfire, Tank007, Olight, etc invented yet. Actually the first time I saw an LED flashlight was in the Fall of 2002 in the C. Crane Catalog, but that's another story.

The only person on my street beside myself who owned Maglites was my great uncle by marriage. He was an ex Marine and a jack of all trades, not to mention an excellent auto parts salesman. Needless to say he purchased top quality equipment. He had a Maglite of some sort in each of his vehicles and the original 1982 Mag Charger in his home. At the time I only had a 4 D sized Maglite which I was quite proud of. We would sit and talk about flashlights quite often. Unfortunately, he passed away in September 2014. God I miss him.

My Paternal Grandfather was a foreman at a sugar factory but also raised cattle and produce during his off hours up until his late 80s. He mostly purchased budget-friendly 6 Volt lanterns, such as the Eveready Commander or Rayovac L295. These were for tending cattle or sowing crops after dark, but probably assisted him when working nights at the sugar factory as well. He also had a Bright Star 575 which kept me entertained while we ran away from Hurricane Andrew (we went to Brookhaven Mississippi.) He had later bought some Ozark Trail 6 Volt lanterns which he still has. Whenever he bought one of these lights, he would always take a knife and scratch either his name or at least his initials on the body of the lantern. Sometimes he also used a paint marker or a Sharpie. I wonder if he picked up this habit at work so no one would take them. However that is only a guess. I do the same thing whenever I buy a 6 Volt lantern.

My Paternal Grandmother carried a red transparent plastic flashlight in her purse for years. Looking back I'll assume that it was some incarnation of the Pelican Mity Lite, but I'm not 100% sure. It was given to her by my great aunt, who was married to the first person mentioned in this piece. It had a magnet on the end, a twist on/off bezel and ran on 2 AAA batteries. I remember her saying that she had it in WDW Hall of Presidents when another tourist had lost a piece to an expensive camera. They were lighting matches to find it under the seats, so my Maw Maw kindly lent them her flashlight to prevent a potentially serious disaster. They were able to locate the piece and she would frequently tell me this story. My Maw Maw would also inspect our throats with this light whenever any of us fell sick. Unfortunately this light had cracked and fell apart and she had replaced it with a cheap LED some time in 2006.

My Maternal Grandmother kept a rechargeable lantern in her kitchen between the refrigerator and stove. I'm guessing it was either a First Alert Ready Lite or one of the Radio Shack Archer flashlights. It was given to her as a gift and I had always admired it whenever I would visit her house. She had passed away in 2003 and life hasn't been the same ever since. I wish I would have asked my mom for that light right after my grandma passed, but I didn't and I don't know what happened to it. One way I remember her is that I keep a rechargeable flashlight plugged in my kitchen wall. Her husband (My Maternal Grandfather) passed away 29 years before I was born so I unfortunately never knew him.

There was a man who lived down the road from me who worked in the chemical plants. One night in August of 1998, he had discovered a nine foot rattlesnake by his pool. Thinking quickly, he retrieved a boat paddle and bludgeoned it to death. He then took it to my grandparents' house in a five gallon bucket to show us. Since it was dark (and about to storm) he had his work flashlight an Eveready 1259 with him and shone the light on the dead snake. I pulled out my Garrity Mini Rugged Lite and also shined it on the dead snake. I was amazed how my light was brighter. I now fully realize why it was brighter and will explain further if anyone asks.

My parents had several Eveready 3251 flashlights (those are the Value models), a Bright Star 575, a Sears All Weather Floating Lantern and eventually my Paw Paw's Eveready Commander. All of these are now gone and have been upgraded. The Sears lantern is probably what sparked my interest in flashlights because my mom would turn off the lights and shine it on the ceiling and walls when I was an infant, to amuse me. Unfortunately for Halloween of 1991 I was insisting that I needed a flashlight for trick or treating and went into the utility room cabinets to retrieve it only to find out that the battery and/or bulb was no good. For whatever reason my mom threw it out that very afternoon. I really wish she wouldn't have. Another story I have was in the Summer of 1990: My brother and sister were newborns and I was three. I was watching them while my dad was at work mom was preparing lunch (home made Popeye's biscuits.) There had been a storm going on and I believe there was a tornado nearby since it became dark as night and the electricity was knocked off. We all went into the hall by the light of that Eveready Commander lantern.

I have an uncle by marriage who also lived next door to me. When I was young he worked in the shipyards as a welder and that meant going to work before the sun came up and coming home many times after the sun went down. So he always had a flashlight with him. He had many over the years, but I never really saw any of them up close. I know he had a Rayovac 6 Volt lantern with a pivoting stand and a Rayovac Workhorse Fluorescent Tube lantern. I remember one time I was about seven years old playing in my backyard after school with a small Eveready In-215 and he was coming in from work and going to his barn. I shined my flashlight at him and he acknowledged with his bigger and brighter flashlight. He and my Aunt also gave me my first flashlight for Christmas of 1988, one of those Playskool 2 C lanterns.

Those are all I can think of at the moment, not to mention my shoulder hurts from sitting here. I hope you the reader have been informed and maybe even entertained...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another good one Eric.

I remember as a kid every house you went to had a flashlight of some sort magnetized to the refrigerator.

At one point my pop had a Mag 2D. Then a 4D. I remember feeling like Mr. Big-stuff whenever I got to use it or hold it for him shining the beam on whatever he was working on.
I always tried to predict his movements and which angle served him best. But sometimes he hollered anyway as I had become distracted and lost my focus on the task at hand.

I do remember a couple of proppelerhead type neighbors having flashlights way brighter than most. But never enquired what they had done to tweak them. They were the neighbors with rotating roof tv antennas (rotated when changing the channel), ham radios or home computers that ran off reel to reel tapes.

My mom had a Mag 4C at one point. But I was told my pop gave it away when she died. He was so shook up he gave away or sold nearly all of her stuff.

I remember my doctor had an Eveready pen light. I remember because he gave one to my mom who was his part time document recorder. I found it not long ago and got it going again.

Thanks for doing this ericjohn. Sounds like you grew up in the Danger Zone of America.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Another good one Eric.

I remember as a kid every house you went to had a flashlight of some sort magnetized to the refrigerator.

At one point my pop had a Mag 2D. Then a 4D. I remember feeling like Mr. Big-stuff whenever I got to use it or hold it for him shining the beam on whatever he was working on.
I always tried to predict his movements and which angle served him best. But sometimes he hollered anyway as I had become distracted and lost my focus on the task at hand.

I do remember a couple of proppelerhead type neighbors having flashlights way brighter than most. But never enquired what they had done to tweak them. They were the neighbors with rotating roof tv antennas (rotated when changing the channel), ham radios or home computers that ran off reel to reel tapes.

My mom had a Mag 4C at one point. But I was told my pop gave it away when she died. He was so shook up he gave away or sold nearly all of her stuff.

I remember my doctor had an Eveready pen light. I remember because he gave one to my mom who was his part time document recorder. I found it not long ago and got it going again.

Thanks for doing this ericjohn. Sounds like you grew up in the Danger Zone of America.

Thank you for your reply and input about your neighbor's flashlights!

Sorry I took a while to answer back, but I've been busy. The most pressing thing was I had to get my car fixed, but by God's grace it is being fixed for a fraction of the cost...

Yes sometimes Louisiana can be a danger zone because of disasters (both man made and natural), crime and even animals!

You're very welcome and I only hope that more people enjoyed this thread.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I enjoys yours and minimoogs thinking outside the box threads.

I understand animal induced car repairs. I had a mouse decide to build a home on top of the fuel tank of my pickup...twice. It's a version of the Ford Ranger only made with the particular fuel line to fuel tank connection for the 1995 model year. And both times the mouse decided it was in the way of his/her bedroom...
First time I scored a used part. By the second time Snap On was make a DOT approved fuel line repair kit.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is a really cool thread. Unfortunately I only remember a few lights my relatives used when I was young. My dad and grandpa both had the typical 2C maglite. I remember thinking it was so much better in terms of output than my 2AA version.

I also have big memories of waiting for a storm to pass by as a child and proudly getting my maglite out so I'd be ready if we lost power. However, on occasions when we did lose power I often thought about how much cooler it would be if the lights were a lot brighter. And luckily nowadays we have crazy amounts of power on hand!

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of those fun times with my siblings waiting for the storms to go through, everyone having a maglite in hand.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night while out walking around the block I pondered this thread. Not in terms of my youth as much as the current crop of neighbors.

Some of what I'm about to say is speculation based on styles of neighbors past and present. Some of it is stuff I've seen recently.

As kids playing hide and seek a few times somebody would have a flashlight. Usually a 2 C cell their parents let them use (or they'd snuck out in some cases). I remember red rings surrounding the beam. Those type were apparently pretty popular with the typical neighbor who still drove a 20 year old car.

Now down the street we had 'the Jones' family...literally the Joneses. Mr. Jones owned a fiberglass repair shop that molded dune buggy bodies and built racing boat hulls. His wife worked for the gov't. They had loot. Their kids drove new cars like Camaros or Mustangs...Mach I's and Z28's... so they probably used Captains or Sportman flashlights...maybe even a 'Kel-Lite' imported from California.

Across the street we had the chemist whose wife stayed home, watched tv and ate bon-bons all day. They had a slew of kids and he drank a lot. His name was Lee and we called him the General (for good reason). He yelled a lot, but his kids were off the chain wild n crazy. They probably had the cheapest lights available. But may have had some home brew batteries built by the General. He was a chemist afterall.

Around the corner we had the Cole brothers. They raced motorcycles as kids and were walking Yamaha billboards. They probably had Burgess and Bright Star flashlights in the garage littered with motorcycles...probably Bianchis and Kel-Lites too.

The house I live in was once owned by the meanest, nastiest cop in the town...until he got busted for selling confiscated drugs from the impound. He probably whacked a few kids over the skull with his 4 cell Kel-Lite(s)...

Meanwhile the masses probably had one magnetized to their fridge in case the lights go out. Hippies used candles.
But everybody had hurricane lights back then. Oil filled decorative base of lead crystal and a globe that acted as a magnifier. Heck those things were way brighter than some flashlight.

I do remember times when a storm had knocked out power riding a bike in darkness and seeing plenty of room filling light at neighbors houses. Especially the little old ladies and spinsters.

These days it seems the sphelt neighbor who runs marathons likes to brag on his 500 lumen sphelt 3C Defian. The Hells Accountants guy with the Harley has his big ole 5D Mag. The hunter/fisher guy across the street has 18650 nite cores on the opposite side of his belt from his sidearm. The typical dog walker couple have his n her Wal Mart lights. The single lady (who has a lot of male company if you know what I mean) doesn't need a flashlight, she has men for that. The kids play hide n seek with cell phones or $2 multi led lights.

The chemist is long since dead. The Jonses live in Hawaii or something. One of the Cole brothers limps around from more broken bones than Evel Knevel, barely coherent from decades of drug and alcohol abuse while the other one is a banker. The cop is out of jail now and works as a maintenabce man at a motel 6 (still saying "I was screwed by the man").The guy with the 20 year old car still has it and still drives it (well into his 90's), probably still has a Rayovac magnetized to his fridge. The old hippies still use candles, and when a storm knocks out the power there are still a bunch of living rooms lit by hurricane lamps where I live.

That was fun.

Last edited:

Roxxolid

Newly Enlightened
My introduction to the "powerful flashlight" family came in high school, many many many years ago ;-) when I was out in the night wandering the neighborhood in search of teen girls, and I found a scuffed up police 3C Maglite in the middle of an intersection, just lying in the pavement. I turned it on and.. WOW. LOL

ericjohn

Enlightened
Yes, this is a really cool thread. Unfortunately I only remember a few lights my relatives used when I was young. My dad and grandpa both had the typical 2C maglite. I remember thinking it was so much better in terms of output than my 2AA version.

I also have big memories of waiting for a storm to pass by as a child and proudly getting my maglite out so I'd be ready if we lost power. However, on occasions when we did lose power I often thought about how much cooler it would be if the lights were a lot brighter. And luckily nowadays we have crazy amounts of power on hand!

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of those fun times with my siblings waiting for the storms to go through, everyone having a maglite in hand.

I remember praying for power failures so I could have a chance to use my flashlights for something that was actually practical (and to show off as well.)

What's strange is, the power failures seem to be more frequent now than when I was a child. One thing is I've noticed is that children tend to deal with the heat caused by the incapacitated AirCon systems better than adults. At least that was the case for me. Now that I'm grown (I'll be turning 30 in January), I still enjoy showing off flashlights when the power goes out, but the Louisiana heat (which is almost year round) can make any power failure miserable. This is especially true in the aftermath of a hurricane of which I experienced quite a few. The power is off for days and sometimes weeks (over a week in the case of Katrina.)

About the 2C Maglite, I find for whatever strange reason that a 2C Maglite with stock bulb was somehow brighter than a 2D Maglite with the same respective stock buld. I think this is because the 2C model was shorter (less current loss) and had better conductivity in the switch mechanism, but that is just an educated guess. Sorry I don't want to deviate from the main topic.

What part of the country (assuming you're in The States) are you from?

ericjohn

Enlightened
Last night while out walking around the block I pondered this thread. Not in terms of my youth as much as the current crop of neighbors.

Some of what I'm about to say is speculation based on styles of neighbors past and present. Some of it is stuff I've seen recently.

As kids playing hide and seek a few times somebody would have a flashlight. Usually a 2 C cell their parents let them use (or they'd snuck out in some cases). I remember red rings surrounding the beam. Those type were apparently pretty popular with the typical neighbor who still drove a 20 year old car.

Now down the street we had 'the Jones' family...literally the Joneses. Mr. Jones owned a fiberglass repair shop that molded dune buggy bodies and built racing boat hulls. His wife worked for the gov't. They had loot. Their kids drove new cars like Camaros or Mustangs...Mach I's and Z28's... so they probably used Captains or Sportman flashlights...maybe even a 'Kel-Lite' imported from California.

Across the street we had the chemist whose wife stayed home, watched tv and ate bon-bons all day. They had a slew of kids and he drank a lot. His name was Lee and we called him the General (for good reason). He yelled a lot, but his kids were off the chain wild n crazy. They probably had the cheapest lights available. But may have had some home brew batteries built by the General. He was a chemist afterall.

Around the corner we had the Cole brothers. They raced motorcycles as kids and were walking Yamaha billboards. They probably had Burgess and Bright Star flashlights in the garage littered with motorcycles...probably Bianchis and Kel-Lites too.

The house I live in was once owned by the meanest, nastiest cop in the town...until he got busted for selling confiscated drugs from the impound. He probably whacked a few kids over the skull with his 4 cell Kel-Lite(s)...

Meanwhile the masses probably had one magnetized to their fridge in case the lights go out. Hippies used candles.
But everybody had hurricane lights back then. Oil filled decorative base of lead crystal and a globe that acted as a magnifier. Heck those things were way brighter than some flashlight.

I do remember times when a storm had knocked out power riding a bike in darkness and seeing plenty of room filling light at neighbors houses. Especially the little old ladies and spinsters.

These days it seems the sphelt neighbor who runs marathons likes to brag on his 500 lumen sphelt 3C Defian. The Hells Accountants guy with the Harley has his big ole 5D Mag. The hunter/fisher guy across the street has 18650 nite cores on the opposite side of his belt from his sidearm. The typical dog walker couple have his n her Wal Mart lights. The single lady (who has a lot of male company if you know what I mean) doesn't need a flashlight, she has men for that. The kids play hide n seek with cell phones or $2 multi led lights.

The chemist is long since dead. The Jonses live in Hawaii or something. One of the Cole brothers limps around from more broken bones than Evel Knevel, barely coherent from decades of drug and alcohol abuse while the other one is a banker. The cop is out of jail now and works as a maintenabce man at a motel 6 (still saying "I was screwed by the man").The guy with the 20 year old car still has it and still drives it (well into his 90's), probably still has a Rayovac magnetized to his fridge. The old hippies still use candles, and when a storm knocks out the power there are still a bunch of living rooms lit by hurricane lamps where I live.

That was fun.

Thank you for your detailed memories and current observations! That's perfect for this thread.

I'm trying to figure out which part of the country you're from. At first I would guess California (especially mention of hippies/suburbia), but then you said Kel Lites were imported from the said state.

All in all it was very interesting and informative...Thanks again!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thank you for your detailed memories and current observations! That's perfect for this thread.

I'm trying to figure out which part of the country you're from. At first I would guess California (especially mention of hippies/suburbia), but then you said Kel Lites were imported from the said state.

All in all it was very interesting and informative...Thanks again!

I grew up about halfway between North Carolina and Washington DC about 200 yards from I 95.
Life was like that kid Kevin from the 'wonder years' if you remember that show.

Also being near a military base with officer training schools we saw vast cultures come n go through our school.
Lots of the hippies were "military brats" back then.

California ways played a big role in my surroundings as a number of kids I knew emulated the culture. And it rubbed off on me I suppose.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember praying for power failures so I could have a chance to use my flashlights for something that was actually practical (and to show off as well.)

What's strange is, the power failures seem to be more frequent now than when I was a child. One thing is I've noticed is that children tend to deal with the heat caused by the incapacitated AirCon systems better than adults. At least that was the case for me. Now that I'm grown (I'll be turning 30 in January), I still enjoy showing off flashlights when the power goes out, but the Louisiana heat (which is almost year round) can make any power failure miserable. This is especially true in the aftermath of a hurricane of which I experienced quite a few. The power is off for days and sometimes weeks (over a week in the case of Katrina.)

About the 2C Maglite, I find for whatever strange reason that a 2C Maglite with stock bulb was somehow brighter than a 2D Maglite with the same respective stock buld. I think this is because the 2C model was shorter (less current loss) and had better conductivity in the switch mechanism, but that is just an educated guess. Sorry I don't want to deviate from the main topic.

What part of the country (assuming you're in The States) are you from?

Yes, we once had the power out for a week in the summer and it was miserable.

I grew up in the northeast but it still got pretty hot sometimes. I couldn't imagine the heat in the south!

ericjohn

Enlightened
I grew up about halfway between North Carolina and Washington DC about 200 yards from I 95.

Also being near a military base with officer training schools we saw vast cultures come n go through our school.

California ways played a big role in my surroundings as a number of kids I knew emulated the culture. And it rubbed off on me I suppose.

Your post definitely made me think of The Wonder Years. Maybe that's why I was thinking California to begin with.

There is a restaurant called Hardee's which was started in Carolina but definitely reminds me of California.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Yes, we once had the power out for a week in the summer and it was miserable.

I grew up in the northeast but it still got pretty hot sometimes. I couldn't imagine the heat in the south!

It's not so much the heat, but when you add in the humidity, that's what makes it miserable especially in coastal Louisiana. I live about ~65 miles from the Gulf, but if I go just 25 miles south, the humidity is significantly worse and it only gets damper [and feels hotter] the closer you get to the Gulf until you're actually on the beach.

In July of 2013, I went to San Antonio Texas and was outside during most of the day. It must have been close to 100 Fahrenheit, but we couldn't tell because of the low humidity. The only time it was miserable was early in the morning when there was still dew...

dreze888

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine busted out his MKII camping the other day and changed my life! :) I was like wth is that!!?? Now I need my own! :)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I seem to get miserable with humidity or without humidity unfortunately. I like colder weather as a general rule. You can always put more clothes on, but there comes a time when it's just way too hot! People have gone with me to places with less humidity but I still end up getting pretty uncomfortable when it's hot. Maybe I'm just a complainer.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an elderly client who lives alone, and during a recent storm, a very large tree was knocked down across the street from her, which landed across the power, cable tv and phone lines. A large branch in her backyard also came down across all the lines running to her house. The electricity was out during the day and into the night.

All she had was an old 6v flashlight with a mostly dead 6v battery. So I loaned her my Spark edc light overnight, then last week I donated my unused Jetbeam PA10 AA light to her. I paid almost $60 for it 4 years ago, but I don't use it.

She didn't have any AA batteries, so I temporarily left an Eneloop in it til I can pick up a pack of lithium AA batteries for her. I don't use ANY primary batteries in sizes AA, AAA anymore, and if they ever come up with LSD rechargeable C and D batteries, I'll start using them too.

Anyway, I gave her instructions on how to use the PA10, and included the nice thick plastic case it came in, with holster and parts. She seems to like it better than the 6v light that weighs 5lbs and puts out 20 lumens top!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Growing up, we had cheap plastic incandescent lights that normally had weak batteries and terrible darkish yellow tints with no spill. They seemed to have poor parasitic drain. Pretty much everyone I knew used these cheaper lights until Maglights became known in the mid 80s. But most people didn't have them.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

It kinda sounds like you lived near Fredericksburg. I was born in Kinston NC in Lenoir county in flat country. We lived relatively near bases like Seymour Johnson AFB and 40mins from Camp Lejeune. But now we live 500 miles north.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Next time I'm at my pops Eric I'll snap a pic of an old Hardees drinking cup you got when you bought a milkshake. The lid was a miniature frisbee. Both featured their answer to the McDonalds gang. Hardees had "the adventures of Gilbert Giddyup and Speedy McGreedy. lol.

Man, I hear ya on the heat thing Blah. I've been out in the heat since I was 9, which was when I discovered baseball. We stayed in the sun all day long until the folks called us in for lunch, supper or because the streetlights came on.
As life progressed more of the same summer or winter. Nowadays I bake in the sun or do the freezer thing as part of my job. Humid or not humid, hot is hot and cold is cold. I've never liked either, just adapt to it and avoid the direct sun in summer as much as practical along with wind in the winter.

Nice of you to donate that light highlander. Mighty nice.
I tried the $15 ea Imedion C's and D's. They're great, but heavy. So now if it's a light that gets used right regular I do regular Eneloops in C or D adapters. Run times are less but the weight reduction is well worth it and it's easy enough to carry an extra pair of pre charged double a's.

Last edited: