How often do your smaller lights end up in your mouth?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may seem a strange question, but it'll make sense soon..... Here's an example: I was at a client's home yesterday working, and he asked me if I could take a look at his recliner chair, which was broken yet again. Its not old, it just has really weak fastners that hold high stress parts together. It has a retracting footrest, which is attached to the underside of the chair with a metal bolt with a plastic nut. Worse yet, the plastic nut also acts as a bearing. So it was really just a matter of time before the soft, plastic nut wore out, cracked in half, or stripped right off the bolt. For the most part, all 3 things happened!

I'd replaced a nut on that side a few months ago with new metal bolt, washer and nut. However, the client had an authorized chair repairman look at it afterwards, and he was supposed to have replaced my work with properly designed & fitted fasteners. He charged $80 for it, but all he really did was loosen my fasteners and claim that he repaired it!

So after he loosened the fasteners I installed, they came loose and fell off. That was the new problem I dealt with yesterday, by installing a 2nd nut over the first, to lock them together(didn't have a lock nut).

But in order to be able to see what I was doing in there, I needed my Spark SL5 220cw to be pointed directly at the dark underside of the chair. As is often the case, I needed both hands to work, and there was nowhere to put the light where it would point in the right direction, except in my mouth.......

Fornunately it's a small AA light that I can hold between my teeth. I do a lot of mouth-holding with my Spark, and previously with my old/lost Zebralight SC-52 that I edc-ed for 3 years, and the Jetbeam BC-10 before it. Sometimes I'll hold the light in between my teeth long enough that my jaw muscles become sore.

This information may make it a bit harder to sell my Spark here in the future if I ever decided to sell it! That won't happen anyway. Does your primary light end up in your mouth?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the answer would be no, as my primary EDC light is an angle headlamp.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty often.
AA works the best. I also like AAA lights too. I like to use the new Mini Mag AAA and tuck it in-between my ear and head. Held in place by a ball cap. Or tuck it up in the hat. You can aim it forward. It is light enough to stay in place. Great for hands free working directly in front of you, like in your lap or on a desk. Not so good for trying to look too far forward. If you know what I am trying to say.
If you like mouth hold. I added a fishing reel silicon grip cover that goes on the handle. It slips right around the AAA Mini Mag, makes it easy on the lips and teeth. I also did a Plastiadip (however you spell that) on a old AA Mag. It came out ok. But the two AA format is a tad too heavy for the mouth position. Also, stay away from lights with aggressive knurling like Maratac. They hurt your lips! Plus the copper tastes a tad funny.
I also can't mouth hold Stainless lights. Tastes strange to me. So, Copper, Ti or Al works for me. Just Cu tastes strange sometimes.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself doing that sometimes too. Usually with a button light, one of the BLF 348s, or a TerraLux 80. The TerraLux actually has a rubber collar just for that purpose. I can't stand teeth on metal, so I usually lip the light instead. I agree, your jaw gets sore after a while, but usually I am done about then.
This is one reason (among many) that I really like the BLF 348. It has a nice wide beam without a hot spot, so I find I can lay it down pointed at the area I am working on, and the flood will usually light up the whole area nicely. The high CRI is nice too because it makes it so much easier to see things clearly. Last time I looked GearBest was still selling them so get yourself one or two before they run out, since they were a special run for a group buy.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I knew what you meant when reading the title Highlander.

When I buy a new small one I check the rear o-ring to ensure it's adequately thick enough to be drool proof.
After hearing my microstream sizzle a few times shortly before it shut off... well I just figure it's best to check.
Microstream has gone back to working each time but a new battery is required.

A Malkoff switch is easy enough to turn it off with your tongue. lol

Good thread btw.

Last edited:

Rutha73

Newly Enlightened
I do often, I got the 1 AAA protac Streamlight recently and if I am wearing a hat it has a 2 way clip I can clip to the brim. If I don't have my hat on it goes between my teeth. I am thinking I might try one of the Nite Eyez gear ties, i think it is basically a rubber coated wire. A couple wraps around the light and it looks like it could be bent to serve as a stand, or hanger

Strintguy

Enlightened
Often enough that my lips are pretty strong at holding different lights. Don't like biting them with teeth.

MRsDNF

Newly Enlightened
I laughed when I read the thread title. My work light was built to specifically hold in my teeth. Not sure how hygienic it is though. It also has a magnet in the tailcap. The red heat shrink is to stop any damage to my teeth.

IMG_4014_2.jpg

Taz80

Enlightened
Even though I EDC. a H502 along with a M10 for work, the M10 still ends up in my mouth once in a while. Phone wires that have been in a basement 20 years, never mind 50+ years are usually really dirty. So I try not to stick anything in my mouth while working. But as we all know the mouth is a handy place to hold things like flashlights, fasteners and connectors. At home, since I don't EDC. a headlamp after work, a light ends up between my teeth much more often.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple copper 1xAAA lights which are small, lightweight, and supposedly anti-microbial. Perfect for sticking in my face.

Swede74

Enlightened
Not often at all since this happened to a fellow countrywoman a few years ago.

gaffel2.jpg

gaffel.jpg

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't make eye contact with someone while I'm eating a banana so if a light has to go in my mouth, I'd just as soon use a headlamp.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This may seem a strange question, but it'll make sense soon..... Here's an example: I was at a client's home yesterday working, and he asked me if I could take a look at his recliner chair, which was broken yet again. Its not old, it just has really weak fastners that hold high stress parts together. It has a retracting footrest, which is attached to the underside of the chair with a metal bolt with a plastic nut. Worse yet, the plastic nut also acts as a bearing. So it was really just a matter of time before the soft, plastic nut wore out, cracked in half, or stripped right off the bolt. For the most part, all 3 things happened!

I'd replaced a nut on that side a few months ago with new metal bolt, washer and nut. However, the client had an authorized chair repairman look at it afterwards, and he was supposed to have replaced my work with properly designed & fitted fasteners. He charged $80 for it, but all he really did was loosen my fasteners and claim that he repaired it!

So after he loosened the fasteners I installed, they came loose and fell off. That was the new problem I dealt with yesterday, by installing a 2nd nut over the first, to lock them together(didn't have a lock nut).

But in order to be able to see what I was doing in there, I needed my Spark SL5 220cw to be pointed directly at the dark underside of the chair. As is often the case, I needed both hands to work, and there was nowhere to put the light where it would point in the right direction, except in my mouth.......

Fornunately it's a small AA light that I can hold between my teeth. I do a lot of mouth-holding with my Spark, and previously with my old/lost Zebralight SC-52 that I edc-ed for 3 years, and the Jetbeam BC-10 before it. Sometimes I'll hold the light in between my teeth long enough that my jaw muscles become sore.

This information may make it a bit harder to sell my Spark here in the future if I ever decided to sell it! That won't happen anyway. Does your primary light end up in your mouth?

Mighty fine story.
I have a friend who goes that extra mile for his client like you.
One day a client found out he likes cars and gave him a motorcycle that had been collecting dust. One of those racer looking road bikes...
It was a project he had started and halted along the way and figured my buddy would finish. He completed it this past winter. It's now called "Darth" because it looks mean.

Hopefully your client will get a better chair next time. lol

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
It's nice to know I'm not alone........
Working in the HVAC/R field I would have to come up with a good way to light up my work area using my 2 AA Maglite. I did not know of any quality headlamps. Also working outside one minute then inside the next, it is hard to know what to carry.

Lateck,

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do it constantly, it's incredibly convenient. I stopped doing it when that fellow posted here about the tragic accident he had -- I'm not sure it ever got root-caused, but he posted his story about how he had his light in his mouth, heard a sizzle noise, and then it suddenly blew -- the Li Ion battery juices when down his throat, he breathed in the vapors, doctors told him he'd never taste anything again, etc. I run most of my lights on Li Ion, and tend to avoid doing that now. yes, I know it's just one tragic story out of a zillion flashlights being held in a jillion mouths every year, but still... plenty of e-cig explosion stories going around.

Yes, okay, I admit it, I still do it sometimes anyway

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My copper Maratac AAA is held in lips often. I dont drool, and I dont put LiIon inside.

I live happily knowing that any germs on a copper light, be it from mouth, hands, or pocket, are dead within 30 minutes. So the next time I use the light, it is sterile.

I also often wear a billed cap, making my Maratac work as a hands free headlamp. I prefer reversible pocket clips on my AAA lights for that reason. I superglue the reversed clips in place, as I do not carry clipped to a pocket. Other than headlamp use, the primary function of my pocket clip is to keep the light from rolling off a table.

IMG_9837.JPG

and fwiw, I sometimes use a magnet when I want the light held in a position to illuminate something hands free. Since the light sticks sideways, it is easier to rotate and aim, than a magnet glued to the tail. Seen here on the side of my fridge, for illustration:
IMG_3447.JPG

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
Seems like I always end up putting my lights in my mouth to use both hands. Fenix P2D, UltraTac K18 and even my new Zebralights (SC600 HI and H600Fd headlamp I've put in my mouth sideways like a dog with a bone). Works for me.

If you don't like the feel you could always use some of that plastic dip for the end of a light (if there's no tailswitch).

Also, my son likes to put my lights in his mouth, LED-first, turn off the room lights, look in the mirror and see his entire mouth glow.:p

I've been known to do that too.:grin2: