old Fenix LD01 vs new Fenix E05

HighLight

Enlightened
About 7 years ago I purchased a new Fenix LD01. This light has a Cree XP-E R2 emitter and the published specs of this light was as follows:

85 Lumens (1 Hrs)
28 Lumens (3.5 Hrs)
9 Lumens (11 hrs)

I was researching a new replacement and was going to settle on a Fenix E05 2014 edition. The specs for this light are:

85 Lumens (45 mins)
25 Lumens (4 hr 15 min
8 Lumens (15 hrs)

Since both are single AAA lights I'm curious as to why after 7 years the run time at the highest output of the latest E05 is actually less then the run time of the older LD01 by about 25 percent? I'm guessing that Fenix didn't report actual specs as per ANSI FL-1 guidelines back in 2009 and now they do? Or was my old LD01 that much more advanced back then.Granted the low and midrange runtimes have increased but the highest output runtime was a bit of a surprise to me.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience after doing a number of run time tests is to take the specs with a grain of salt. Some times they are pretty accurate. A lot of times not. Since the E05 utilizes the XP-E2, I'm pretty sure, if you did a run time test of both lights with the same battery the E05 would outperform.

HighLight

Enlightened
My experience after doing a number of run time tests is to take the specs with a grain of salt. Some times they are pretty accurate. A lot of times not. Since the E05 utilizes the XP-E2, I'm pretty sure, if you did a run time test of both lights with the same battery the E05 would outperform.

Given the price of a Fenix E05 I think I will purchase one and see how it stacks up. I was attracted to the Fenix E05 because it was even smaller lengthwise then my current LD01 while offering roughly the same performance so that in itself is an improvement. If anyone else has both the older LD01 and the newest E05 and can comment on both it would be appreciated.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
The old ld01 had a timer step down, so it went down to 50 lumens on hi after 5 min or so. I can't access the manual right now, but I think the new e05 doesn't have this step down, so its 85 lumen for the full runtime (or at least till its battery voltage drops to low). This could explain why the e05 runs shorter on hi but longer on low (newer more efficient led and driver)

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Only bad thing about the E05 is there is no slow taper of output to signify the need to change out the cell.

You are using the light one moment and then BOOM lights out and youre left in the dark. Had two of them and gave them both away because of this.

I would rather have an E01 with 10 purple lumens that doesn't leave you in the dark than 85 white lumens that let you down in a crisis.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Fenix%20LD01%20SS%202010%20UK.html

This review is of the LD01 SS but I've seen the same stepdown profile in reviews of the regular LD01.
The E05 also has a step down, but the hi runtime is the accumulated runtime (restart on hi every time it stepsdown), while the old LD01's runtime on hi is including the stepdown.

Wow, you got me ! :eek:oo: That's an undocumented feature. I've been using LD01 (both version, pwm and CC) and never noticed any drops...

Streamer

Enlightened
I have both LD01 SS & Fenix E05 old model (w nice stock neutral white emitter, sold the cool one.) Never noticed step down on LD01