Another Which SHTF Led Light Would You Choose

Spin

Enlightened
If you could only have the following in a shtf scenario.

1. You can only have two lights with unlimited batteries.
2. They can only use 1AA, 2AA, 1AAA or 2AAA. (No Rechargeables)
3. Runtime, ruggedness & dependability is your major concern. What would you choose?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmph...pretty limited. 2AA Fenix E25UE. Because it can run 2x alkaline AA 2x NiMH AA and 14500's as well and regular L91 lithiums. Output changes for each typed but you have 4 fuel 2xAA light capable of 5 well spaced modes at under 200 lumens on regular AA's more on lithiums and rechargeable NiMH and 14500 cells as well I know you said no rechargebles but the light takes anything AA sized rechargeable or not. Its only 50 bucks and built like a tank.

1xAA? SRT3 with a lithium L91. 1xAAA or 2xAAA? Ill use my Zippo. 3 or 4 AAA gets you into 200-350 lumens at any Lowes. Ideal main SHTF light would be a new 3rd Gen 50 dollar XML2 Mag light with regular D alkalines in it. Run time is incredible, output for its run time is incredible, range is also well above average can be found at any Wally World.

Concerns would be as listed in the OP. Run time would 100% be longer with the now multi mode D Mag. Ruggedness? Goes to the Fenix for its IPX8 rating. Dependability? Dead even. Cost low and dead even.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

3. Runtime, ruggedness & dependability is your major concern. What would you choose?

If that is my only choices... just shoot me then...put me outta my misery...

At least until the PK PL-2 arrives. After that, I'm good.

scout24

Flashaholic
Malkoff 1xAA MDC. Or, if I were feeling extra stylish as the zombies were roaming, a 1xAA Haiku from Mr. McGizmo. Both are as durable as can be, and would get the job done.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
somebody remind me what the Spy 007 runs off of? Got my full Malkoff D Mag drop ins ready to go as well. Tried out a fresh L91 in my pretty new SRT3 and was pretty impressed with it. I am thinking a SHTF light being anything and any cells you can get at Wally World or HD Lowes fast. Coast...yes I said Coast HP7 Pro 50 bucks at any HD or Lowes 4xAAA(one 4 pack off the shelf next to the register)360 lumens and an outstanding spot to flood focus and also have a low mode now. Lets see into my local Wally World and Ill have a new 3rd Gen 625 lumen 3 mode 3 D mag and a couple packs of new D alkies for it and be out for under 60 bucks.

New 200 lumen Mag XL50 3xAAA is actually good the beam is surprisingly well done. Your choice of AAA cells and your out the HD door for 35 bucks. If your good with a soldering iron and have some spare parts sitting around you can wire yourself up a hotwire incan Mag pretty quick for 20 bucks.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose a Malkoff MDC HA 2AA.
[h=1][/h]https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/malkoff-led-flashlights/products/mdc-ha-2aa-flashlight

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
i dont understand why non-rechargables would be preferable. SHTF, i would not want to keep track of or pack around as many cells as i might need for an indefinite amount of time, unless i was living in an actual cave. SHTF, i want bicycle parts, air rifle pellets, and solar panels..... not gasoline, gun powder and batteries.
Just my two cents. To each their own.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unlimited batteries???

In such a world, I would make a magnetically propelled shotgun. Powered by batteries and fires the batteries it just drained.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Malkoff MDC AA. It has pretty much made me stop buying flashlights. Tried the 2xAA version but really like the compact size of the single AA version.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
a huge santa sack of super modded Spy 007's and a few crates of CR123's. Have had the original TK32 bolted to my Mossberg 590 for a bit now. Amazingly has not skipped or anything just fine so SHTF kinda likely what I am grabbing to stop the zombie apocalypse...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I would trade the batteries for stuff as they are unlimited. :) I kinda prefer 1XAA or 2xAA which can run 1XAA with a spacer etc. less mix and match battery issues IMHO. My current INCH light is an Armytek A2 Prime. The TK20 is nice as well but keep taking it out of the INCH bag as it is so good. If not in the bag I might not have it when the Zombies come. 4/7 lights with extra bodies and Olight t15 with extra t10 body have been also packed in kits over the years.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo Haiku (with Hive)

Zebralight H52fw

+1 for the ZL angle light. My H52w has over 1,000 hours of use in three years of ownership. This is a tested work light, not just for some fantasy what if scenario.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Mag ML300 suggestion.....that's what I would go with along with some 3AA to D adapters, for dual fuel capability.