• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired L1-917 builds FS *SOLD*

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A couple more for sale added on the second page.....

Hi guys,

I have three of the same build for sale. These are PR-T-BK heads on L1 bodies as evidenced by the photo below. On the inside, they have been modified from stem to stern. New resistors in the tail switch, the body "gutted" so it is now a battery tube holding 2x123 cells and the head was modified to host a DownBoy 917 positioned about .200" further forward from normal builds. This required a counterbore into the rear face of the bulkhead as well as a custom E-can.

L1-917.jpg

I did some bench testing on one of these and the numbers should be consistant with little variation for all three.
The drivers are DownBoy 917's and the LED's are TW0J's.

On Low power, the circuit is taken out of regulation by the Vin being dropped below the Vf of the LED's by a pair of parallel resistors (120 ohm 1/4 watt) with a total resistance of 60 ohms.

On Low, the batteries have 39 mA being drawn with 33 mA at the LED and a lux (at one meter) of 180

On High, the batteries draw 770 mA with 917 mA going to the LED and a lux (at one meter) of 3100

IMHO, these lights are awesome! In terms of fit, function and output, I think these are the nicest lights I have made so far. The only bummer is the cost of materials and labor time to make these. It was worth it to me and they might be worth it to some of you. I am asking $250 ea. for these.

If you want one, please stake your claim here and E-mail me with your CPF name along with your mailing address. Priority mail and PayPal fees are included in the price.

Thanks for looking and I won't be offended if there are no takers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif $250 is a lot of money for a mod but then this is a lot of light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: L1-917 builds FS

yeah Don !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
you are evil! I am still resisting ... must control self ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

daz

Newly Enlightened

WOW another superb light.I`ll take one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kj

Enlightened

Ahhhhhhhhh..... I cannot resist. I'll take one.

Don, certainly you are evil. I've spent too much money on flashlights recently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But I believe this stuff is worth $250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well cool guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should point out that the switch still functions as designed with the ability to lock out either the high beam or both. You can also unscrew the bezel and let the reflector drop out for a very useful two level flood beam. I think Tim and Daz will be as pleased with this light as I am. Now Bernhard........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Because these lights are significant in price, anyone not completely satisfied, can return the light for full refund. Uh, that would be in a timely fashion please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I see kj has snagged the last while I was looking for letters on my keyboard. Well thanks guys!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This time I can really be proud! I resisted the addiction!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif one could say my wallet resisted the addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
have fun with those marvellous top-notch wonderful great ligths, guys ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
bernhard

kj

Enlightened
I see Don is getting additional hosts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
With these lights,,, to put a different head on them, we would need to make a "dummy" head, that just have the LS, and a contact point,,, correct?

It was SO hard to not get one of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Don, I can see myself getting one of these later if you keep making them.

BUT, can you make one, that the converter is in the head?
So I can use the heads I have now?
IE KL4, many PR and PR-T heads.

If you can make a body for me, that will let me use all my DB converter heads, I will take one.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was up all night. I saw these lights for sale. Coulda had one, too.

BUT...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

And THEN...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Any questions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
JT,
I believe these have the boards in the head, but the ecan and contact are positioned further up into the bezel. I hope some of the other heads will fit but I don't know for sure.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, you're killing me, man! After more than a year as a flashaholic, I finally got my hands on an L1 and got an R2H high dome into the thing. It's centered perfectly, too. Really love that light! Then only a week later, you have to bring out THESE things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

You really know how to hurt a guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

That said, maybe you could ease the pain by... oh I don't know... maybe sending one of these to me to evaluate for about five years? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

A couple comments....

These do have the driver in the head as Wolfen has stated and infact the driver is further into the head than a stock or standard E series configuration. Consequently, no dumb heads or standard 6 volt E series heads will be compatable. This package is as tight as it can get! you have the capacith of 2x123 with the solid L1 two stage switch in the length of a light equal to the L4. I have done some other mods that were posted about where you Can take this same body and with a battery extender, host 2xCR2 cells and then have it work with standard 6V E series heads.

With the DownBoy driver, presumably you can pick a resistor value that could just take you out of regulation so that say you have 400 or 500 mA going into the LED on low or you can increase the resistance value of the LED and drop the low down to just about nothing! I picked a value that gives you a greater than 10X spread between low and high and with the combined spot and flood of the PR, I have found that you have 4 different light levels that that are a good spread from each other in terms of use. If someone wants to experiment on their own L1, all you need is a cheap 1/4 watt resistor and remove the tail switch from the light. Use the two leads from the resistor to complete the ground; on lead on the - of the rear battery and the other lead to the rear lip of the tube. Check out the beam and its intensity. To quickly view the high beam, use one lead on the resistor to connect the - on the battery to the battery tube. When you find the value of the resistor that gives you the "low" that you like, replace the stock resistor with the new one.

I do have a couple more L1's headed my way thanks to oldgrandpajack. I have also been hit with some E-mails requesting some of these lights. My problem is I don't like to sell or even mention a mod until I have all the parts and preferably have made the dang thing! Who know if or when I might get run over by a kid on a tricycle or have a kidney stone lay me out for the count! I have about a week before SHOT to finish some builds in process, nail down an illusive design and finish some other work that must be done. After SHOT, I have 5 days to tie up all loose ends and then I'm off to Maui for 5 weeks. No mods, no machining and no work. Just playinng with the fish, waves and photons at night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I can get anything built beyond what has already been promised, I will try to post the builds here but I think I am running out of time. Sorry.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
5 weeks! man, that is great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
have fun, bud !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
bernhard

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Can't believe I missed this one...