Maglite 2C

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a 2C Maglite on CL, the SN begins with a "C". It looks mint and the price is $10.

Good deal or not?

I have actually never seen a 2C before and have a stash of C cells and no device to run them in.

Does the "C" S/N accept a Malkoff, I read something about not all Mags can accept a Malkoff.

skillet

Enlightened
Yes, buy it! Yes, "C" in S/N will accept a Malkoff dropin! I keep one in the truck and utilize the 3-6 cell drop-in powered by 3 CR123's. Cold and heat tolerant, great shelf life and no leaking!!

2C was and is a great size Mag light... My first two Maglites I modded were a 3C running a TWOJ direct drive and a 2C space needle.. Oh, such memories!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2C is a great one.

Not real bright by todays standards but it is way more portable than a 2D, much lighter to carry and the girth is about the diameter of a baseball bat handle or bicycle grip so it is very comfy to carry.
A favorite car/round the house light with great runtime on a pair of C cells.

You can use a pair of solar lamp 18500's (LiPo) with a pvc tube around them as an adapter, then a mag bi-pin 4 cell bulb to get around 175-200 lumens from one with no other mods.
I snipped off about 1-1/3 coils from the spring so it wouldn't press on the batteries so hard.

Others go further using get metal reflector, glass lens, big amp parts inside and a Tad Custom or FiveMega bi-pin holder and bulbs for 6-700 lumens.

They were also a fav from the ROP bulb days. I have one that puts out around 1000 lumens.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a personal preference but C are better than D. Go for it.

I agree the C cells are the best of the Mags IMO. The 2C is really nice and works with a variety of mods. With a simple drop-in like a TerraLUX TLE-6EXB the 2C can be a decent utility light. Malkoff drop-ins are even better and there are a variety of bulb/led options available.There are also quite a few battery configurations you can use with the 2C. Just a fun light to have around for simple mods.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Please explain.

C have a slimmer body, easier to get even large hands more tightly around. Reinforcing this, C and D have the same reflector. So the base of the head is larger, giving even more grip.

Meanwhile length and weight are also less while output is the same because voltage is the same so all you miss from Ds is the runtime is matters not with LEDs.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got 2 of the new C cell 3rd Gens and wow! Talk about actually pocketable with good sized pockets! Ten bucks? Looks to be in mint shape? Buy it! The possibilities are endless Malkoff and all. I do advise you get a look into the tube at the bottom of the switch assembly and check for corrosion.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
am now working on plans for a 3 C ML50LX with an XHP35 HI pushing 1200 out the front. The plan is coming together surprisingly quickly. Just have to have a custom copper heat sink machined.

enr1997

Newly Enlightened
I personally like the C cell maglites as they are easier to grips than the D cells. Plus 5 and 6 cell maglites are easier to find than some rare D cell ones.

alnico357

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2-C and 6-C Mag Light. I think they are easier to handle than D cell lights. I have a Terra Lux in the 2 C. 140 lumens is fine for me. I like LEDs and C cells for the increased run time.

FYI: I dislike the "focusing black hole" and have a solution.
1. Screw down the head as far as it will go.
2. Remove the bezel and lens.
3. Hold the reflector flush with the head and rotate it while pointing the light at a wall to find the sweet spot.
4. Carefully place the lens over the reflector and hold it tightly with two fingers.
5. Lift up on finger and put the bezel over your finger like a big ring, holding the reflector steady with the other finger.
6. Now do that with the other finger, then screw down the bezel while holding pressure on the lens.
7. Ta Dah!