Best Zoomable Flashlight Review, $5-$40 range.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

This review showcases my top pics in 4 price ranges for zoomie flashlights. Sipik SK68, SK98, UF T20 Odepro KL42.

I have a few one time use coupon codes for the KL42 to make it $23 if anyone would like one just post in the comments or PM me and I will give you one.

If you have another light you think should be a contender please let us know :)

Here are a list of member suggestions so far:
Brinyte B158
Skywolfeye TLY- 6501
On the road I3
Solarforce y2

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have two zoomable lights one is a AA and the other a Skywolfeye TLY- 6501 18650 zoom. Both lights are 3 mode and both suffered from the "next mode" memory issue and both of them have been "fixed" to no longer have that problem. They both cost me less than $3 each the Skywolfeye cost me a measely 2.31 on ebay from China. Both work well, I have a 14500 on my AA light now and it is almost as bright as the 18650 but has a better "zoom" beam probaby due to a better LED and alignment (centered) of it.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of zoomies and own dozens of them that I've collected over the last 5 years. Virtually every light I own was purchased with pocket EDC in mind however. I have very few big lights.

In the $5-$40 price range for a pocket EDC size zoomie, which one do I feel is the best?

No brainer: On The Road i3

This light is pretty amazing for a zoomie. It has a bunch of great features not found in typical cheap zoomies:

• Glass lens - not the optical acrylic found in most cheap lights.
  • Brass pill - unlike the typical aluminum pill, it is quite easy to solder to brass pills. Very handy when replacing the driver.
  • Solid shelf
  • Screw-in cover to hold the star flush with the shelf. Much better than the typical press-fit plastic washer found on most cheap zoomies
  • Flawless matte dark grey anodizing - I suspect it is Type II though, so it probably won't last nearly as long as the more expensive Type III found on premium lights. Not sure how long it will last, but it sure looks great.
  • Top notch build quality. Much better than almost every other zoomie
  • Absolutely tiny size for a zoomie. It's the same size and shape as an Olight S10. Much smaller than a Sipik 68.
  • Excellent output. Even unmodded, it outputs many more lumens than a Sipik 68, not as throwy though due to use of an XML2
  • Comes in neutral and cool white. The neutral has a great tint.
  • Good host for modding: accepts 16mm stars. 15mm drivers will fit with included retaining ring. Or omit the retaining ring and it will fit a filed down 17mm driver. I modded mine with a 4000K XPL HI 5A2 tint and a 15mm FET driver. I'm quite please with the result.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
From reading more about the OTR i3 at BLF, it sounds like the light isn't even rainproof. :( The B158 claims IPX8, which is a little remarkable for a zoom. It is probably not at all waterproof if the focus mechanism is used under water. But Brinyte largely makes diving lamps, so I'll take their IPX8 claim as entirely possible.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just now Odepro sent me a few one time use coupon codes to get the KL42 for $23, if anyone is interested just ask in the comments or PM me and I will give you one.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
From reading more about the OTR i3 at BLF, it sounds like the light isn't even rainproof. :( The B158 claims IPX8, which is a little remarkable for a zoom. It is probably not at all waterproof if the focus mechanism is used under water. But Brinyte largely makes diving lamps, so I'll take their IPX8 claim as entirely possible.

It's not hard to make a zoomie waterproof. Most cheap zoomies even have the o-ring slots to do so already built-in. Lube up the stock o-rings and add an o-ring or two into the missing slots and even a cheap zoomie becomes airtight.

So why don't manufacturers include the missing o-rings to make their lights waterproof? Why does the i3 use split gaskets instead of sealed gaskets or o-rings? These lights are actually intentionally not airtight. There is a simple reason for this.

How zoomies operate
The typical zoomie operates by having a lens mounted on a movable bezel. When the bezel is retracted, the lens is close to the LED giving flood mode. When the lens is extended, the LED sits on the focal point of the lens giving spot mode. Extending or retracting the bezel changes the internal volume of the light.

Unfortunately, changing the internal volume of an airtight light causes the air inside the light to change pressure. As air pressure inside and outside the light tries to equalize, air pressure will cause the bezel to automatically return to whatever position it was in when the light was sealed (when the battery was inserted).

If you put the battery in when the bezel was in flood mode, and then try to slide the bezel to spot mode, the bezel will move on its own back to flood mode.

The fix for this problem is simple
: The light must have a vent so air pressure inside and outside can equalize. This is necessary to allow the zoom mechanism to operate smoothly in all modes. This vent need not be large. An absolutely tiny opening will work.... but it does need to be there. Most cheap zoomies accomplish this by omitting one of the o-rings. The On The Road i3 does this by having 2 split gaskets instead of fully circular o-rings around the lens.

The most convenient and most common style of zoomie is simple "push-pull" operation, where the bezel extends and retracts by pushing or pulling. Easy to use one-handed and you can go from flood to spot in less than half a second. I have never seen a push-pull zoomie that was watertight. The zoom mechanism in such lights simply isn't stiff enough to resist air pressure moving the bezel.

Another type is the "twist-zoom". These are built just like push-pull zooms, but have threads between the bezel and body. Extending the zoom requires turning the head. This type of zoom mechanism can be made waterproof as the threads may provide enough resistance to prevent air pressure from moving the bezel. The downside is this mechanism is far less convenient than a push-pull. To be stiff enough to resist air pressure, these bezels often require two hands and multiple turns to operate.

Personally, I much prefer the push-pull type zoom mechanism for its ease of use, convenience, and effectiveness. Even with a vent I consider them generally good enough for rain or light splashing. If I need anything more waterproof I'll reach for a non-zoom light.

Last edited: