*DO* inspect your phone/light clip!

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I just lost my McLux PR head with a L4 body on it. I notice that the plastic retaining tab on the button holder (theledguy.com) is worn so that the retaining surface is diagonal. *curses*
It has been used every day for a couple months or more.

I like this way too carry a light, if anyone finds a more robust clip let me know. I am wondering if Alice clips are secure, but it would be more complicated to use. I don't want to tell you what led was in there... *mutters foul words*

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bummer!
For what it's worth, not all of these clips are created equal even though they may look exactly alike! Some of the knock offs have copied the form exactly but they are not using the same plastic or quality springs inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . The clip *is* a normal wear item but the durability will depend heavily on the quality of material used. The tabs were designed to the specs of TheClip.com and I have been using the same clip for about a year and it is still functioning properly. I have worn one out though and they do go "bad".

What a drag! I feel your pain!

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Don, no worries I will aquire an even better light. The funny thing is that the smallest edc i have now is a mag 3c(working title: "yours must be broken").

I do not knock the clip itself, but myself, on account that i had ot inspected it for wear. It *did* release the light a couple of days earlier, under similar tumultous duty.

Incidentally some activities are too much for the way the clip attaches to the belt as well. some way of securing the clip securely (alice-type, maybe) would be nice.

Maybe also a more abrasive resistant locking tab that will not wear out against the brass button, what do you think?

jtice

Flashaholic
Thats one of the reasons I have never liked that kind of clip.

Plus, I dont like the light swinging around on it.

Sorry Ail, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
AilSnail,

At some point, you do want a weak link. I would prefer to see the locking cam in metal as well but then I don't make the belt clips. The tab could be made in plastic so that it wouldn't abrade the cam as much but then the tab would be too weak in my opinion. A small safety tether could also be implemented for the times where you know that you may be banging around and a dropped tool is a lost tool.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe an electronic proximity alert... :p

Yea, weak link is good. Note that the locking cam didn't *break*, it just was was worn to an angle, so that it could be pushed down when the button was pushed upwards.

I don't think this would happen to a new clip.

Have you done any destructive testing on these?

What might increase the security margin is a one-way- lock, so that the cam can not be pushed down unless you push the release button.

I think the clips are relatively secure and unclipping and clipping is so easy. A definate improvement would be a lock to the belt like alice but less prone to accidentally open.

[ QUOTE ]
At some point, you do want a weak link. I would prefer to see the locking cam in metal as well but then I don't make the belt clips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, why is that again?