ARC 4 'Glow' Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyUSArmy

Newly Enlightened
ARC 4 \'Glow\' Level

Just got my ARC4+. Wow I am impressed. Still like my SF A2, but the ARC4 is so small and versatile.

I saw the thread about the locator flash brightness. Indeed I tried the locator feature in a dark room and found it was distractingly bright. I envisioned the locator flash as being used to find the light sitting by the bed or whatever. Way to bright for that.

But the brightness level I have noticed that I have seen no mention of here - is well below level 16. If you turn the switchlock on, then press and hold the switch, you get two bright flashes followed by a 'glow'. The led is on but very dim. Not enough to really light anything up, but if the light could be left on at this level without really using much battery that would be cool.

Does your ARC4 behave like this? Would it be battery efficient to keep the light in this 'glow' state?

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: ARC 4 \'Glow\' Level

Hmmm, I dont have mine yet,,,

But this sounds like a very cool feature.
It would be really nice, if it could "glow" JUST enough to be seen at night,,, but be at such a low level, it could glow for weeks with no problem.

JollyRoger

Enlightened

Can you describe what you did again, Fly?

On a side note, I tested the draw from my ARC4 on the lowest brightness setting (still plenty to read by at night, etc.), and it was something around 10 milliamps! (probably less b/c my powersupply only goes to two decimal places and I didn't feel like hooking up a dvm) Talk about lasting forever....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gregw45

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
FlyUSArmy said:
Does your ARC4 behave like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a couple of Luxeon based lights and they all display some phosphorescence after being used.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

it is not the phospherescence of the yellow phospher he's referring to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

according to peter, this dim glowing is caused whenever the processor is "awake", and it wakes up everytime you click the light so it can interpret what you want. try entering the options menu, then selecting an option like force primary, ready for service or semi-tactical, and keep holding on to the button after the light is done flashing, and you will see the faint glow as long as you hold down the button.

flyusarmy: i used to EDC a surefire A2 as well, and i intended to sell it after i got my arc4+ but i realized i still like them both too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlyUSArmy

Newly Enlightened

"according to peter, this dim glowing is caused whenever the processor is "awake", and it wakes up everytime you click the light so it can interpret what you want. try entering the options menu, then selecting an option like force primary, ready for service or semi-tactical, and keep holding on to the button after the light is done flashing, and you will see the faint glow as long as you hold down the button. "

This is the explanation for the effect. If it uses minimal power - I'd love to see future software have an option to keep the light awake and glowing like this. I think it would be great for finding it in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.