Does the Arc4+ have the farkle problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Farkle isn't really a "problem", but to answer your question- no. The farkle is only an issue with optics, not reflectors.

Peter

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
Farkle isn't really a "problem", but to answer your question- no. The farkle is only an issue with optics, not reflectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the limited amount of (unlit) pictures I've seen, it appears similar (the business end of the light) to the L4 which has no farkle.

Ironically, my L4 has a *hair* (yes, you read correctly!) that rests nearly directly in front of the emitter. I fairly recently discovered this after running the batts so low that the individual emitters in the 5W module were barely firing. It (the emitter) had the appearence of a catalytic heater (though white instead of orange) and the light level was "comfortable" enough to notice the contamination. One day I will remove this.

I wish the lens on the LSH-P was removable. I know someone that can get me an optical filter made from sapphire to fit the light! (overkill, I know but then most people think spending this kind of money on a flashlight is ridiculous...)

Is the lens removable on the Arc4?

Cheers!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the retaining ring can be removed with the correct tool, but i'm not sure if it has been secured with loctite like surefire does.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a second that does have farkle a small curl of the jelly that is on top of every emitter body.I still love it.
Chris

83Venture

Enlightened
Hi Christoph. I see you are in Hagerstown, I live in Frederick. Nice to see someone from the neighborhood.

HandMeLite

Newly Enlightened
sharkeeter,
I'm curious about the saphire lens.
What kind of price range will it be?
Any Anti reflection coatings?

Yes the lens is removable on the ARC4.
Jim

southpaw

Newly Enlightened
Umm...I hate to sound like an idiot but what is "the farkle problem"?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
jbello: the earlier arc LS lights which used the NX01 or NX05 optics usually had some of the gel that's used to fill up the cap on top of the LED die squeeze out due to the pressure on the black plastic collar from the optic. these small balls of gel were magnifed by the optic such that they appeared like large pieces of sparkling gel. they were nicknamed "farkle", though i'm not sure how the nickname came about. its likely a blend of a common expletive and the word "sparkle" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

someone correct me if i'm wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

southpaw

Newly Enlightened
Ahh...I see...thanks for the info...I now official feel 1% less stupid than usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
I'm looking at a 4mm thick sapphire window that was made for a sight glass. It has a coating to reduce x-ray emissions. When I put it in front of the LS, the affect on the light quality and quantity is very minimal.

I'm told these can be optically coated as well. The coating has a greenish mirror like finish like binocular and camera lenses.

It's a favor thing so I don't know if I can get very many of these!

Of course what is really important is if these will fit into the ARC flashlights! Since this contact works at the place these are manufactured, they can be made in any size and thickness precisely. It does no good if they cannot be installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers!

jpeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sharkeeper said
It's a favor thing so I don't know if I can get very many of these...

[/ QUOTE ]

Paypal... Standing by... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
logo_paypalPPBuyerProtection_28x16.gif

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a ARC4+ second that has a definate curl of gel in the very bottom of the reflector.
on the coated lens PP ready if there are any extra.
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

83Venture

Enlightened
Mine has a little gel also. With the new ARC policy below I wonder how many seconds will be available in the future?:

Effective immediatly, Arc flashlight will no longer guarantee cosmetic quality of any flashlight we make.

Cosmetics include patterns, smudges, scratches, lines, tint variations, etc in the anodize, lens, reflector, optic, button, etc. If it does not affect the operation of the light (brightness, corrosion resistance, interoprability of parts), we will not replace the light at any time.

Danosaurus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive the noob question, but what exactly is the difference between an optic and a reflector? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

nisshin

Enlightened
An optic is a lens: it bends light.
A reflector is like a mirror: it reflects light off of its surface.
Hope this helps!

nisshin

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
an optic relies on total internal refraction to create a reflective surface, whereas a reflector does this in a more direct way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jarhead

Banned
chamenos,

So something is actually pushing down on the luxeon hard enough in the ARC that it causes gel to squirt out the sides?

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
No,there is a small amount left on top of the emitter package,weather to seal the dome on or a byproduct that is just not removed it can come off by being rubbed by optic or reflector.
Chris

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
jarhead: i'm not sure, and if i remember correctly christoph is probably correct. in any case it has no effect on the beam whatsoever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.