Best 1AA Zoomable?

hap124

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Poplite P5 which is basically a Lenser. I like it and it works well on an Eneloop. If a little on the cool side.

I also have a number of XR-E SK68's which I think are great vfm. Although they are much better on a 14500.

I also have a Coast HX5 which is like a nice quality SK68, smoother design, better tint and better optic. I run mine on a 14500 and it's great. Although the throw is not overly throwy.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the Coast HP1.

190 lumens in a decent tint with a spot when bright light is needed or can be slid to all spill for close up work needs. Simple to activate tailstanding on/off switch. Sturdy removable pocket clip.

I use mine as a junkyard to light up shadows and highlight engine parts in daylight. And if the power goes out it makes a small room or work area light up enough to read by in spill mode while tail standing.

I think Coast stopped making the "1" but Amazon still has some. I gave away several last Christmas to "warranty voiders" and all but one are reported still operating. That guy over tightened the tail cap and had to destroy it to get a dead battery out.

Anyways, others can toss in their picks.

Last edited:

Witterings

Enlightened
I became pretty obsessed with finding the perfect one and tried quite a few ..... depends what you want to spend but there's the SK 68 as already mentioned and despite being cheap is actually quite reasonable for the cost. The HP1 as someone else has mentioned is also nice and better quality the beam at both extremes is nice but the "in between" isn't nearly so good ... I use this a lot as my go to torch for around the house and isn't blinding with standard batteries .... I looked at getting their HX5 ... one feature I think would massively improve it though is if they had a lower output level as well .. around 60 with AA / NiMH and 80ish with 14500 ... it'd improve the run time quite a bit and you often don't need 345 lumens.

Although I generally have a dislike of LED Lenser their M5 is actually quite good although there is a little slop in the head when extended to throw ... my favourite of all though is the Coast HP5R which I think is a brilliant torch ... if I could only keep one AA size Zoomie this would be it!!! When extended it's a very focused hot spot with virtually no spill and you don't see the square of the led either.

If wanted to compare Coast beam patterns at all have a look on their website as each torch shows if the throw is hot spot with some spill or just hot spot.

Whilst being an out and out zoomie fan though I've recently discovered I possibly prefer non zoomie torches that are designed to throw like the Nitecore MH20GT for all round use ... you get the best of both worlds in one and whilst a zoomie it's nice to be able to see in the distance if you're walking down a dark lane you lose what's going on in your closer proximity as all the lights projected forward but a torch designed to throw still has some spill immediately around you ... I'm sure it's an instinct thing but you just feel more "comfortable" being able to see both.

What do you want to use it for???

Last edited: