Should i try the klarus g20 flashlight?

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I am able to get a good deal on one and i was wondering it it would be a nice light to add to my collection. I see the CD is only 5600 which would make it extreamly floody. I cant find a good review of this light. (At least in english)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can try the pass around. Personally I have purposely avoided Klarus all these years due to all the posts and threads across the light forums about defective lights and either no or next to no customer service.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a shame beacuse i have experienced awesome customer service , and i have herd of another good one too :)

Do you want a floody short range light ? Then get it !

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
High output/Short range/Floody
single 26650 cell (included)
built-in charger
Side-button and Tail cap electronic switches (electronic lockout only)
From OFF - Direct access to momentary MAX(but not instant .5-.7 sec delay) and Strobe (instant)
UI requires long-press (but not too long) for OFF
Lockout activation (double button press), unlock operation tipple-click
More UI stuff from ON ...
Memory mode for side-switch, no memory for tail switch.
Rough battery level indicator LED, used also as charging indicator, and lockout indicator.

At the right price it seems like a good light, but I find the UI not exactly to my liking, and I like to have mechanical lockout. I mainly got it because it was a single cell 26650 light that is relatively compact, with high output. I still have more 26650 batteries than lights that accept them, but the choices are increasing. If I didn't switch between different lights for different tasks I could probably adjust to this UI, but I found adjusting to something like the Manker E14 Group-1 UI actually less error prone.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am able to get a good deal on one and i was wondering it it would be a nice light to add to my collection. I see the CD is only 5600 which would make it extreamly floody. I cant find a good review of this light. (At least in english)
That cd value must be wrong surely? The Nitecore TM03 has a barely larger reflector (although deeper) and makes 21,000cd from the same LED while making less OTF ANSI lumens.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it, i have seen a beam shot and it was indeed silly floody. Klarus have always had a softer floodier beam in my experience.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Is this push and hold to turn on/off? I couldn't get rid of my g30 fast enough with that UI.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this push and hold to turn on/off? I couldn't get rid of my g30 fast enough with that UI.
No this one is only 1/2 as bad. Single click to turn on and switch up a level. Long-press only to turn off... but if you hold it too long you'll find yourself in Max Momentary mode and you'll take your finger off the switch pretty fast after that.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Pass around thread; the info is more visible here so i will continue any comments I have here. Not much more to say though.

Can you test the "Up to 2000 mA super fast Recharging" My G20 only charge at 200 mA.

OK so I discharged the battery into the Red zone in the G20 and set about to try the internal charger.

The short story... use a good cable.

Plugged into an Anker 60W multipart USB Power Adapter with iQ support.
Used XTAR USB monitor for this test, may compare to better one later given the results.
Reported USB output 5.14V

1. First, pretty good thick 2ft cable I use for charging general USB devices. Cable fit poorly as it has a fat connector. Light charged at .75A.
  2. Cable supplied with light by Klarus, charged light at .45A
  3. Short (~1ft) Anker pro cable I use with power banks, charged at 1.5A

One note is that the charge current did seem to increase slightly to 1.55A in about 5min, for the 3rd cable, and to .9A for the first cable. No change for cable 2 supplied by Klarus.

So against my better judgement (but I'm using protected cell), I will continue to let it charge now on cable 3 and see if the charge rate reaches 2A. In this simple test with 1 adapter.

Update 1: charge current after 15min is 1.67A, so it does appear to be increasing.
Update 2: charge current after ~80min is 1.7A
Update 3: charge current after ~120min is back to 1.5A Ending the internal charge test.

Last edited:

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
I have this light and like it. One question is why did they not use the current Iphone type of connection for the charging cable. Is there something I don't know about cables and connectors, and what would work?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the side switch for accidental press in a pocket?
It's very easy to trigger, breath on it and it activates. The lockout is another stupid design in some ways, press both buttons to lock, but triple click to unlock. it's a faster unlock, but given the short throw on the side button does not actually qualify as a secure lockout. If the double press was used to reactivate it would be more secure, but a pain.

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to give it a shot. Thinking it would be a nice unit to carry in the truck console. Curious though if the chargers are smart enough to not overcharge if left plugged in? Being in the truck I have USBs that will switch on and off with the accessory power so each time I start the truck it will begin to charge. Any potential risks? OK to sub zero temps?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to give it a shot. Thinking it would be a nice unit to carry in the truck console. Curious though if the chargers are smart enough to not overcharge if left plugged in? Being in the truck I have USBs that will switch on and off with the accessory power so each time I start the truck it will begin to charge. Any potential risks? OK to sub zero temps?
I'll see if I can test that after my next charge, as different chargers use different ways to detect a full battery. With Lithium-Ion it's pretty easy, but we'll see if the built-in charger is able to do that. However If I was you once it is charged I'd unplug it easier on the built-in changer which you want to keep happy so it does not die, and the Li-Ion, barring any circuit issues, will easily hold it's full charge for months so no need to keep it plugged in like old NiCads. It's a pretty good light in many respects but that long press for OFF gets me every time still. I really have to remember to just use the tail-switch for OFF since a mistake there does not change the memorized mode. If you're going to get one use the group buy deal to save some money.