Good, strong, flood light needed.

norwaylight

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

My wife is in the need for a new flashlight.
In her work, night times, she has to leave the car and walk to house, buying she needs to go into.
Some places there is good light and some not.
Some places it is just a few steps and some places 20-50meters.
Winter time, pitch dark, she does feel a but, un safe sometimes.
What she likes is a flashlight, that can flood are large area with strong light.
The light will be in the car and with her, so not need to be handy in the keep it in a handbag size.

Only thing she, I, like is one that has batteries that can be recharged.

All tips and help is welcome.

Cheers all.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what you want to spend.
I use a Malkoff Wildcat V5 whuch is an amazing flooder. It can run on a pair of 18500s or 18650s depending on the body that you purchase. Malkoff have just brought out a version 6, which has a smaller head.
here a link to Flashlightguide.com review of the V5...
http://flashlightguide.com/2014/03/review-malkoff-wildcat-v5/
Scroll down for beamshots.
Malkoff are bombproof and carry a lifetime warranty, I wouldn't let Mrs Yeti out with anything else.
P

Lexel

Enlightened
I think any 18650 Light with USB charger should work great

add one or 2 LG 18650MJ1 protected cells

there are tons of lights you chan choose from
there are over a dozen high quality manufactors

in 1000 lumens range
for example Fenix UC30
http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-uc30-ultra-compact-led-flashlight/

or Nitecore MH12
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh12

more powerful Lights
flashlights.png

Klarus G20
http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=174&id=134but

or Convoy L6
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashli...mFBhzpf7trXlwptxpRMwsWQ_MkWSMRviAxxoC35Lw_wcB

for normal person 1000lumens is fine enough

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
My wife has become a huge fan of the regular version Thrunite TN4A (4AA) flashlight for her outside after dark lighting needs. Big flood, but with a decent throw in case it's needed. Nice variety of modes/battery life. We keep them stoked with Eneloop rechargeables. In fact we like the light so much we now have 5 of them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Nitecore TM06 and the Olight SR mini intimidator II are designed as flood lights. Due to the sheer amount of lumens they put out, they do throw fairly well as well, but their design and purpose is to put out a wall of light in the immediate area. Check out Selfbuilt's reviews at www.flashlightreviews.ca for reviews and beam shots.

snakyjake

Enlightened
I require lights that have control rings. Much simpler and intuitive to operate than cycling one way through brightness modes.

Eagletac is on my watchlist. I already have the Jetbeam. Sunwayman has a product. I believe Nitecore does too.

I use only LiFePO4 batteries for safety. I can go months between recharges.

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
Ah Norway, where the street lights go off at noon.land of the polar nights. i see your need for a rechargeable.
if Mrs Norway can handle the size and weight, the Olite srmini intimidator II would be a great light to have in the car.
i have the whole kit with car charger
there is a port to recharge w/o taking the batteries out, thus an android phone cable works great.
And Lexel, thanks for the xkcd cartoon

Last edited:

norwaylight

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.
Thanks for helping me, us. Sorry for my late reply.
Well, I do agree that a light with the control on a ring, like the Nitecore SRT7 has is nice, not having to hold or press a button to change power.
How the flashlight looks, eel, well, women are women, she wants a flashlight that looks like a flashlight!!!!
Ehh, yes.
Well, I "think" I know what she means by that...Not one looking to masculine....

So far I have narrowed it down to:
Nitecore MH12, Klarus G20 and/or Malkoff Wildcat V5/v6. The wildcat is the only flashlight looking she told me, but she thinks its a bit large/long. Anyone know how long it is?
How is the Nitecore MT26? Power control by twisting and looks a bit like a wildcat.
Only asking because I am not sure Malkoff will ship to Norway.

Good weekend to you all.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the MecArmy PT16. The three LED's flood well, easy to use, rechargeable, small, looks like a flashlight. The PT18 and PT14 are bigger and easier to grip. I saw the Nitecore P05 Pink yesterday. It does not look masculine.

Question: Will it sit awhile between use, or be used daily? How do rechargeables handle the cold Norway nights?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Out of the suggested, i would look at the srmini II and malkoff options. The former is a solid compact light, simple UI and just feels great in hand. For the turbo, she would need to press and hold for the duration she needs(kind of safer too, it works well!)Around 3000lm of light, very floody but with some decent punch out the front. As also mentioned, the USB where either in car or at work to top off and never be left in the dark. The malkoff speaks for itself, will last her forever and you could depend your life on it............to a point where your life does depend, malkoff is the place to go!

Might be me, but i am not fully confident on the g20 tbh, better to buy once cry once;)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wildcat is the only flashlight looking she told me, but she thinks its a bit large/long. Anyone know how long it is?
From Flashlightguide.com...
When mated to the MD3 body, the complete flashlight measures less than 7″ and only 8″ long with the MD4 body.
That's the V5 Wildcat, I imagine the V6 wull be a tad shorter.
P

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
There is a flip side for a light to be a little large or long, kind of inspires a little more confidence in hand. Like you actually holding a " proper" flashlight and if needed, could be placed carefully upon ones.........

Pocket rockets are great and have their place, sometimes holding a real light............just feels right:)

A comparison pic would be handy to get an idea of size, so could be ruled out or not:poke:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your wish is my command, Ven.
I don't have an MD3 so this is the equivalent, MD2 with an extender. Nor do I have a V6 Wildcat, but it looks just like the MD2 head.
Mrs Yeti's hand to give some scale...

Wildcat V5
WILDCAT.jpg

MD2 Head MD3 Body
WILDCATMD3.jpg

Mrs Yeti kindly modelled the lights, but I did get the look.
P

Edit: Having played around taking the pics, I'm rather warming to the 3 cell format. I only have 2 cell and 4 cell tubes and thought the 3 cell tube was neither one thing nor the other. But it's actually a really nice size.
P

PS. Can you now show me back to The Malkoff Junkie Thread, please?
P

Last edited:

norwaylight

Newly Enlightened
Peter yetman, thanks for the photo, sure looks nice. (Looks like a flashlight my wife said.
Ven, I agree with you 100%, a larger light, feels a lot more, solid, confident, than a pocket light....and it can be used to...Well, save the day.
As to how a rechargeable will be in winter, I do not know. Up to now, all we have used is AA, D and so.
But, the light will be a daily user.
So, now w hat?
Well, the wildcat, Nitecore MT26 and we will look once more at the srmini II.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
A larger light is good but too big to carry all the time. :)

norwaylight

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you are right, but these one will be used from the car and into the house/office/buliding and back out. Not intended to be carried around in a shoulder bag all day.

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff P, and super thanks to mrs Yeti:D......................i bet you felt a right plonker :laughing:...............good, i get that funny look all the time:eek: