Self defense and uses a 18650

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the brightest, the best self defense, palm size flashlight I can find.

I'd like to find one that doesn't break the bank, but I will take all opinions/suggestions.

I have 18650's around here, but will buy others if it suits the requirement.

I want my girls safe and want an alternative for myself.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the brightest, the best self defense, palm size flashlight I can find.

I'd like to find one that doesn't break the bank, but I will take all opinions/suggestions.

I have 18650's around here, but will buy others if it suits the requirement.

I want my girls safe and want an alternative for myself.

A flashlight is about the poorest choice one could possibly make for a self defense tool. It will do little more then further enrage an assailant. Buy them some pepper spray, a tazer, a collapsible baton, a firearm, etc. But first, enroll them in a self defense course that includes hand to hand defense as well as training with the above mentioned items. Then, if you want to add in a flashlight to work in conjunction with these techniques and defensive tools, it might actually be of some use.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
Agreed. Poor choice for self defense. I think we've been bombarded with so many "tactical" products over the past several years and now supposedly just about anything can be a useful defensive weapon.

But I digress...

Sure a small pocket flashlight may have some small defensive capabilities...at night. But what about during the day? A strobe is only going to deter some people. It certainly won't take the fight out of more aggressive assailants.

Maybe a big ol' Maglite might have some use in that sense, but they aren't very pocket friendly, obviously.

When I comes to self defense, I think a firearm, taser, or pepper spray are really the best options available.

Lights have their roles, but I don't believe self defense is one of them and I can't ever recall hearing any stories of any one on the street successfully defending themselves with just a small flashlight.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I would get a chunky 1X18650 light with a great deal of mass such as the Malkoff MD2. This way you could throw it at your attacker (it's heavy so WILL hurt) and still have a working tool later due to the potted electronics and build quality.

Genius1

Newly Enlightened
When sellers said tactical or self defense light, I think they are more of a marketing term than anything.

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened
Understand what you all are sayin'.
Armed carry is not a choice, far too many restrictions.

The cheap little 300lm, close up 'will' spot the eyes and give the second needed to re-act.
Now, make that a 1000lm or better, I see it working even in daylight.

As palm size, easy to carry, use and clenched in a fist just adds to the impact.

Just my thoughts and wished to see what you folks thought.

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
You'd be better off to put the 18650 into the attackers pocket with some loose change and wait for it to vent with flame.

You and the "girls" haven't been in close-quarters combat with someone Hell bent on hurting you, have you? Grabbing a fist full of flashlight and trying to punch an attacker is likely to get you shot, stabbed, sliced, or worse. Unless that is the only and last resort (long after running the heck away). Even with only a single mode (because clicking through the modes to try and find TURBO while under attack is not only not funny, it's ridiculous), the time it takes to activate and point at an attacker (or TWO), it just wont end well.

Last edited:

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened
A flashlight is about the poorest choice one could possibly make for a self defense tool. It will do little more then further enrage an assailant. Buy them some pepper spray, a tazer, a collapsible baton, a firearm, etc. But first, enroll them in a self defense course that includes hand to hand defense as well as training with the above mentioned items. Then, if you want to add in a flashlight to work in conjunction with these techniques and defensive tools, it might actually be of some use.

I guess first to this is, not all those are legal carries. Second would be, they are Second course of action.
First is always, avoid, evade, escape.
As we all know, 1 second can mean the difference when it comes to escape.

Both my girls, you would not want to be within the 3ft circle of if you're an attacker.
I have taught them to AEE first.
I see a quality >1000lm as a tool in that process.

Just my 2cents...

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened
You'd be better off to put the 18650 into the attackers pocket with some loose change and wait for it to vent with flame.

You and the "girls" haven't been in close-quarters combat with someone Hell bent on hurting you, have you? Grabbing a fist full of flashlight and trying to punch an attacker is likely to get you hot, stabbed, sliced, or worse. Unless that is the only and last resort (long after running the heck away). Even with only a single mode (because clicking through the modes to try and find TURBO while under attack is not only not funny, it's ridiculous), the time it takes to activate and point at an attacker (or TWO), it just wont end well.

And I hope they never are!
I have and it ended poorly for both of us.
He was PCP'ed..
He in the hospital, I in court.
Well.. honestly.. I did go to the clinic afterwards..

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I would reccomend a kubatan technique is in order. That is a martial arts technique where many ordinary items normally carried can be used to quickly inflict a painful poke to an attacker and gain some time to flee. In the case of a PCP'd attacker a flashlight shaped with kubatan places would help but only briefly. Unfortunately that person is loaded with the strength and endurance of a cyborg being. Conventional techniques are of little value in those circumstances.
Now sometimes carrying certain items can give the carrier enough confidence to add insurance in those worst of times, provided they are properly trained at using said items including a flashlight. So to say "oh yeah man buy that XVB model 14 and you'll be good to go" would be irresponsible for us to do.
But there are certain model flashlights with an aggressive front bezel or kubatan points that in the hands of a "properly trained" individual would certainly go a long way as an aid in self defense situations.

I'd say visit a local "cop store" and talk to the proprieter about your needs. Believe me, they want you to be safe as much as you do. And they can probably reccomend all sorts of tips including which flashlight to carry. They can also explain how to defend yourself in court.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess first to this is, not all those are legal carries. Second would be, they are Second course of action.
First is always, avoid, evade, escape.
As we all know, 1 second can mean the difference when it comes to escape.

Both my girls, you would not want to be within the 3ft circle of if you're an attacker.
I have taught them to AEE first.
I see a quality >1000lm as a tool in that process.

Just my 2cents...

I am not sure where you live? But, in many places many different items(including some of the ones I have listed) can be legal to carry and are all far more effective then a flashlight by itself. You just have to look into the laws.

Yes, avoid, evade, escape should be your daughters first course of action in a lot of situations. Often just being smart about not being in certain situations or places at certain times can make all the difference. But, in a case where an assailant really wants to harm your daughters, a flashlight will do little to help them and will likely only enrage the assailant further. Especially if your daughters have no formal training.

As I said in my first post, first and foremost, spend your money on some self defense training for your daughters. This is what will make the biggest difference if they get into an unfortunate situation. Then, once they have some training and are confident in the techniques, they could look at taking further training with some defensive tools.

Aside from being highly proficient in Kubotan like byk suggested, a flashlight, unless combined with another defensive tool, is next to useless in a violent confrontation.

Poppy

Flashaholic
About 20 years ago, I read an article by Massad Ayoub, IIRC a Police lieutenant, firearms instructor, and owner and operator of "Lethal Force Institute" He was a prolific writer on the use of firearms, and self defense.

I was surprised when he wrote, that he will carry a $20 bill wrapped around a book of matches, and held with a rubber band, whenever he travels to a large city outside of his jurisdiction. His recommendation is to use it as an evade and escape tool. When approached by a would be mugger, pull out the twenty, show it to him "Here... is THIS what you want?" Then throw it to the left, and run to the right, while screaming.... "Fire... Fire!"

What is the bad guy going to do? Run over and pick up that $20?, or chase after some lunatic screaming Fire!?

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
About 20 years ago, I read an article by Massad Ayoub, IIRC a Police lieutenant, firearms instructor, and owner and operator of "Lethal Force Institute" He was a prolific writer on the use of firearms, and self defense.

I was surprised when he wrote, that he will carry a $20 bill wrapped around a book of matches, and held with a rubber band, whenever he travels to a large city outside of his jurisdiction. His recommendation is to use it as an evade and escape tool. When approached by a would be mugger, pull out the twenty, show it to him "Here... is THIS what you want?" Then throw it to the left, and run to the right, while screaming.... "Fire... Fire!"

What is the bad guy going to do? Run over and pick up that $20?, or chase after some lunatic screaming Fire!?

I like that one... :crackup:

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
I agree with all the statements about evasion being the first course of action and flashlights being a poor choice for a self-defense tool, at best should be considered a supplement to some other primary tool.

That said, to answer the OP, I would suggest considering the olight M1X Striker. 18650, 1000 lumens, nice balance between spot and flood, and its streamlined profile works well for inside-pocket EDC. The clip can be mounted for tip-down carry, so you can deploy it with your thumb over the tailswitch and activate it in like a second. Leave the memory mode on turbo/high so you're there with a single click and don't bother trying to triple-press to strobe mode while under duress. Shine in an aggressor's eyes for temporary disorientation, giving you another second to get away or deploy a primary defense tool.

The aggressive crenelated bezel is marginally more effective for striking than a standard bezel. Use it in your off-hand with downward stabbing strikes to the face, while you have a more effective primary tool in your dominant hand. Again, only as defensive actions because you're cornered and have no other choice.

You're not going to disable an attacker with a flashlight but it might help discourage him.

Last edited:

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened

My current 'carry' for them is a roll of quarters is a tennis sock.
Baton, Black Jack is illegal around here.
Roll of quarters is not.
Even if in a sock.

Like the idea Poppy!
Gives the second you may need when confronted.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The aggressive crenelated bezel is marginally more effective for striking than a standard bezel. Use it in your off-hand with downward stabbing strikes to the face, while you have a more effective primary tool in your dominant hand. Again, only as defensive actions because you're cornered and have no other choice.

CPF does not condone the use of a flashlight as a weapon per se. There are other forums that are dedicated to self defense techniques.

Bill

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to try the Mecarmy SGN7. It is a fob sized light that has a high and low mode as well as a alarm /strobe function to bring attention to yourself. Would be great for a ladies purse and cones in pink option as well.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
In before the lock and deletion. :D

Thanks, the light I recommend would not be used to defend oneself physically but to only bring attention to one self by alerting bystanders to a potential situation.

That's at least how I was hoping it would be understood. :)