Surefire: expensive?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
A lot of people have been grumbling, myself included, about the high cost of Surefire flashlights. Does anyone factor in how Surefire flashlights seem to hold their value. If you are a collector, and decide to sell your Surefire flashlights, I believe you will get most of your money back. I doubt that would be the case with most other brands of flashlights. What do you think?
oldgrandpajack

EDIT: I changed the word "investment" to "money". "Investment" was a poor choice of words, on my part.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is one reason I invest in surefires, the other is the quality. And the biggest factor...They are still made in the USA. I don't want to suggest that others aren't good, but I do live here, and with so many jobs going out of country...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be one of the few freaks who'd rather have the Surefire than the money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
I must be one of the few freaks who'd rather have the Surefire than the money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there ever a choice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wonder how many buy them for an investment?
So the question to many/most of us is are they worth the money for our use when compared to other brands.

In general, the answer for me is no. I do have an E1e and a E2e, but don't have any intentions of buying any more.
Jerry

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I have to wonder how many buy them for an investment?...

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps "investment" was a poor choice of words. Substitute the word "money" instead of "investment". I did not mean to imply that Surefire flashlights were an investment.

But I do believe they hold their value better than other brands, and that you will get most of your money back, if you sell them at a later date. For that reason, I maintain that they are not that expensive, after all.

If your life may depend on a flashlight, how much is your life worth?

oldgrandpajack

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for most people outside of CPF a used SF flashlight is just that - a used flashlight - typically not worth anything close to the price one paid - now this is certainly only true for normal circumstances and except special situations like the current shortages and times when SF was inflating the prices through cutting out the distributors and later-on the online dealers and the subsequent price hikes like seen for the last two years.

So I personally would caution anyone to "invest" good money in flashlights believing they could resell them at or close to cost - this might have been true for a time now with the seen steep price increases but I wouldn´t expect this to continue.

For now a solution might be to split up the flashlight into parts and sell them separately but with this becoming quite common lately and this niche market possibly to be soon saturated I don´t see much sense there going forward as well.

As usual these are just my 2 €cents and YMMV

Klaus

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting point Oldgrandpajack. For me having Surefire's hold their value is not why I get them, but certainly is a plus when I "need" a new light and go to trade or sell one of my current ones. It seems that increased value retention is the case with many high end things, from cars to flashlights.

-Mike

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've seen on ebay and the CPF for sale forum, it seems like the HA-III Surefires hold their value the best. A lot of times a new HA-III SF light will bring 85-90% of current retail on ebay, and a used HA-III SF 75-80% of current retail.

I think there are three main reasons why SureFire flashlights tend to hold their value so well. First is the overall quality of a SF flashlight, they are built to withstand a lot of punishment and keep performing well. Second is the SF lifetime warranty and continued availability of upgrades and parts for older models. Third is the HA-III finish itself, a well worn older SF with the HA-III finish will still likely look very good, whereas a flashlight with a lesser finish will just look worn.

I've bought and sold used Surefires, and always felt like I was giving and getting a good deal and a good value for the money.

-Keith

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldgrandpajack,

You are correct that SF seem to hold their value better than
others, as evidenced by ebay auctions.

"If your life may depend on a flashlight, how much is your life worth?"

The implication here is that Surefire might be or would be the only light that would work, and therefore save your life.
I think that is a stretch without foundation. Having spent my professional life in the military, and having been an outdoorsman for most of my life, I have never been in a situation where any light I had failed. As far as trusting the light, I would trust the hated (here) Maglite just as much as a Surefire incandescent.
If I had to be sure the light would not break if dropped, then a LED would be called for.

I have many friends who have spent their lives in a similar lifestyle, and I have never known one who suffered any problems because his flashlight did not work. Some have had problems because they did not have one with them, including me.

I would trust a Streamlight or a Pelican just as much as a Surefire.

I will not deny that the Surefire is top of the heap as far as quality, but better quality does not necessarily translate into it being the only light that one could trust if his life depended upon its light.

One could make the same argument that because your life might depend upon getting to the hospital, ones life is worth the cost of a Rolls Royce because it is of higher quality than a Ford, and accordingly one should own such a car assuming he had the money to buy one.

Anyway, each of us "Pays his money and makes his choice" and flashlights are fun to learn about and play with.

I do think an advantage of Surefire is that the E2 is about the smallest very bright light made, as far as I know. In that case the best light is the one you have when you need it. Most of us are not inclined to carry very large lights, and the smaller the better. I might have a E2e in my pocket, and I would not have a Mag.

Jerry

fuego

Newly Enlightened
I'm just glad surefires are still available.They may change the way the product is distributed,or price them outrageously but....it's a great product line with a lifetime guarantee.
"A poor man can't afford to have cheap tools."

Flow

Newly Enlightened
I love my E2e and 8ax. Worth every penny.
I havn't bothered with a KL1 or KL4 for the E2e, despite fairly regular use for several months now, including a couple drops, the bulb is fine. The McLux PR-T is tempting though.
If the bulb in either ever happens to blow, I can use the other until I get home. Or use an X1 or X5, depending on what I need it for.
If I only had one light though, it would be the E2e clipped into my front pocket.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
SUrefire:expensive? Well I suspect this will be debated as long as CPF is on the internet. On the other hand, I might propose that SureFire are NOT cheap and get away without much opposition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, well...let me ask my wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif