Which to mod? What to do.

Thom2022

Enlightened
So my C8 arrived woohoo, having a proper flashlight is nice but I feel I could do with a bit more spill and a less intense hotspot.

The C8 currently has an XPL HI. If I went
With an XML2 and the OP reflector then this
Should produce more spill and a less intense hot spot than XPL HI and OP. Am I right?

Thom2022

Enlightened
Well this leads in to the next question. What would be a good choice of led? I'm partial to the warmer end of the spectrum 4500-5500k as they in my experience tend to wash out colours less (Referring to car HID lights). Lower kelvin lights also seem to project further for the same output. The only led brand I know of is Cree but have seen nichia(sp?) mentioned here as having high CRI. I know what CRI means but don't know how that equates to physical difference.
Any advice you have is welcomed.
Thanks

ven

Flashaholic
Colour rendering index, higher it is up to 100, the better colours show(simple terms as more to it and more than just CRI). But more accurate colours basically......

nichia 219b ,4000k,4500k,5000k(not sure if more flavours available now). The 219c might suit more in 5000k flavour , as it can be driven harder than the B! Usually over 80 cri , so to my eyes accurate colours without them being exaggerated if makes sense. The 4000k B' tend to exaggerate them a little and make colours pop! Depending on use would depend on which to get, night time, lower output, tired eyes the B, daytime when needed the C for me(subjective).

Thom2022

Enlightened
How do nichia compare to cree in lumen output? Not that I'm over fully fussed just curious as info I see only shows at 0.7A draw compared to 2.8A draw for Cree. I'm just after reasonably bright, good natural light quality over a moderate distance (100-150m)

ven

Flashaholic
How do nichia compare to cree in lumen output? Not that I'm over fully fussed just curious as info I see only shows at 0.7A draw compared to 2.8A draw for Cree. I'm just after reasonably bright, good natural light quality over a moderate distance (100-150m)

As an example, my 219B in an olight m20 smooth reflector, fires the hi cri beam considerably further than an xml2 in a smaller light. Lots of variables for the throw side, look at what the deft X can do with a nichia !

Nichia 219b is good for maybe 400lm tops
Nichia 219C is good for quite a bit more(not sure exactly but can be driven quite a bit harder than the B! which puts it near CREE.

In the c8, a 4000k or 5000k xpl HI would work nicely..............

imo the nichia 219b is suited more for closer up uses due to output/rendition................we loose our colour vision in the dark and at distance.

So far i would lean to a 219C for what you want, nice 5000k tint(can get 3000 and 4000k and 5700k iirc in the C flavour too). Host/reflector is key to your beam, so not too deep/wide for a too concentrated hot spot, and to retain some bright spill.

A good example would be the r50vn, this is a shaved dome xhp50 in a wide but shallow reflector.............real useful beam! Very broad spill, around 40kcd throw, which tends to be enough for a pocket able light/type uses for most. So a good all rounder ............just an example.

swan

Banned
For the c8 you can buy a 20mm copper noctigon star and a cree xpl high density[dome] in V6 bin and 3D tint which is 4750-5000k for about $8 and you should should see an easy gain of 10-15% in output over the lower powered xpl hi intensity led. These have a lot of red/pink in the tint similar to nichia neutrals which a lot of people like.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to tell you that kaidomain has XPL2 HD in neutral white but they ran out of stock. I snagged one of the 16mm 5000k yesterday but you need thr 20mm for a C8.

Thom2022

Enlightened
After an email convo with the guy from 3tronics I've gone for the XML2 U4 1A and an A17DD FET+1 that way I keep a similar light intensity on target with more spill and a more diffuse hot spot. It will be a little whiter than I would like but I wanted to keep a similar perceived brightness and the U4 is approx 1250 lumen output compared to the 1000 ish of the XPL. He's a great bloke and very helpful. Looking forward to modding my first flashlight. Woohoo!!!!