Lost my PD 35 Fenix in the attic insulation......should I worry?

TKhanson

Newly Enlightened
Folks:

Was looking for a minor leak in the roof; had a headlamp on and my PD35 in my pocket, in the event I needed more light. At some point it slipped out and fell into the 12 inch blown insulation. Trouble is, I don't know where. Two questions for everyone:

1) It has an L-Ion battery. I hope there isn't a risk of combustion in the future. I believe Lithium Ion issues and fire happen during charging, etc. My worry is that as it sits there for a few years, till that battery dies off, that there could be a leak. I suppose I should take some comfort that the Fenix is built tough and unlikely it would melt or leak. Sounds like un-rational fear, but that blow insulation seems like a tinder box, if you ask me.

2) Replacement. I was using Li-on 18650s. I had 2 so I still have one left. What would people say is the PD35s competitor with the same battery config? I was happy with the Fenix. The only issue is the control button would sometimes not respond. However, I've had it 3 years and thought perhaps there were new kids on the block that might throw better light in today's tech.

Thx.

TKH

novarider

Newly Enlightened
I would get a big magnet and run it through the insulation till you find it. Should be able to find one that's as wide or nearly as wide as the space between the rafters. Home improvement stores and tool stores carry big magnets designed to pick up scrap/nails. Should work prefectly.

Edit: On second thought isn't the body aluminum? So the magnet idea is out.

The Nitecore P12 is very similar to the Fenix PD35.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. No worries about the battery. I would want to retrieve the flashlight, though. I would be tempted to hire a Professional Flashlight Retrieval Person, if the task were too great for me.

2. Something of similar size/desired config, with the amazing XHP35 emitter would be all good/great.

drizler

Newly Enlightened
Harbor freight sells a neat nail pickup bar. 24" wide with 2 tiny wheels and handle. Very nice to keep around . A lifesaver when stuff falls into the grass or like you have going on there.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Although the aluminum body of the PD35 will not respond to a magnet the clip and the battery will. Since you have a sister battery you can verify it is ferromagnetic by holding a magnet next to it.

🤔

TKhanson

Newly Enlightened
I think you guys are on to something. Harbor Freight has a "Heavy Duty Magnetic Pickup Tool " for about 8.00 bucks. I could run that along the entire path of where I walked and probably come across it at some point. Thanks for the idea!!!

TKhanson

Newly Enlightened
Can you guys, who own the PD 35, confirm for me that only the clip is magnetic?

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
I would definitely try to retrieve any flashlight I lost if i know the general area where.
On the battery question, as long as it is not turned on it should not be any hazard, there should be no current leak in the flashlight and li-ions tend to only turn unstable after over/under-charging, extreme heat or puncture. I reckon the battery is protected and the flashlight is waterproof. This should not cause any issues.

Perhaps taking some of the insulation and trying to set it on fire will relieve your concern that it's tinder.

Then ask yourself how much it's going to cost if you happen to step, or worse, fall through your ceiling? Then ask yourself if purchasing a new light might be a better endeavor.

~ Chance