Olight r50 bad batteries?

Rustycoppercu

Newly Enlightened
Hi first post got a r50 copper with supplied battery and when I tried to charge on my vc4 it switched to nimh and them says null after 10 min. Called olight they sent new battery tried it same thing. it lights up red when I charge with the USB plugged into the r50. but both turn to nimh and null are the batteries bad? They want me to send my light back which sucks. Let me know what you guys think thanks again

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try another charger; try another battery; double check observe proper polarity in the charger and in the flashlight; insure all contacts are clean and fitting correctly.

:welcome:

kj2

Flashaholic
The 26650 that comes with the R50 has a positive and negative pole on the bottom. Therefore it CAN'T be charged in a normal Li ion charger. Doing so will destroy the battery. Just charge the battery, inside the light as supposed to.

ven

Flashaholic
The 26650 that comes with the R50 has a positive and negative pole on the bottom. Therefore it CAN'T be charged in a normal Li ion charger. Doing so will destroy the battery. Just charge the battery, inside the light as supposed to.

+1

Do not try and charge on a charger, only in the light. If you buy a "normal" 26650, this will work fine in the r50 BUT can not be charged in the light though.
:welcome:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some olite rcr123 cells that I tried to do a capacity test in my opus c3100 but as soon as I start the discharge the charger display goes from showing the voltage to null, I was told that t the c3100 used a pulsed discharge and that could be triggering the opus rcr123 protection.

I wonder if the vc4 does some sort of test to determine the cell type and is triggering the protection on your cells so the vc4 display changes to null

John

Rustycoppercu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and information I should have searched the site more seeing other people asked similar questions. I was just upset something was wrong.. Thanks again

ven

Flashaholic
Too add with the r50, when you get the light and proprietary cell, the voltage will be around 3.6v. So when you start charging(its not the fastest of chargers for a 26650 cell), it takes a few hours to charge(so will show red for 2+hrs) before turning green.

I think you maybe shorting the cell out(possibly) due to both the + and - being on the end of the cell by placing it in a charger.

Last edited:

Rustycoppercu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and information I should have searched the site more seeing other people asked similar questions. I was just upset something was wrong.. Thanks again