usage review and improvement suggestions for the versatile olight M1X striker

rizzie

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I'm a new member from the Netherlands, I've made my introductory post here for those interested.

This review actually made me certain I wanted to have the M1X striker by olight. So I bought my first 1000+ lumen light and the beginning of building my 18650 platform with multiple lights :)

Having used it intensively for a couple of weeks since december 2016 I'm very satisfied with it but there is room for improvement if you ask me.

It's a great EDC light and I used it a lot walking the dog during holiday times in pitch black evenings in the north of the Netherlands on the heaths and the woods and having fun with my family there with nighttime walks and quests.

I really like the moonlight mode and have absolutely no problems at all with the UI of the light. The memory mode functions very well and the momentary on mode works like a charm. My kids (of 8 & 10) are using it and find it easy to manipulate. The low-voltage indicator is awesome.

The extreme variations between a turbo mode of 1000 lumen and a pretty long runtime at high on one side and the amazing runtime on moonlight mode on the other hand make it superversatile in an easy to handle package

I find it to be a terrific defensive tool which was one of the main attractions for me after the flashlight part. I've practiced martial arts with weapons for a long time and if you know how to handle sticks or knives and are skilled in hand to hand combat this could very well help you send an attacker running in a real short time.

It's an effective tool that can be used as a 'fist strengthener'. I don't know if that is a word but basically when you hit someone with your fist with the flashlight inside, it will help you protect your hand against bone/boxer fractures and provide a heavier swing. Fist fighting can be pretty damaging to the hands so this helps in case you need it for defensive purposes.
Another method would be to just plant the bezel on someones bony parts which would do major damage.

In both scenarios - and since it is in the 'tactical' category - it should definitely have more knurling which is what is missing big time on this light if you ask me. it's way too slippery for something that you either use in defense or use in situations where you don't want to be fumbling around and having it slip out of your hands.

I haven't found any specs for the activation of the low-volt indicator.
I did some measurements on the battery when the red light low-voltage activated. the voltage with no load when the red light for low-voltage turned on was 3.12 V on a nitecore 186500 NL1385
I put the battery back in, put the beam on high which was still a pretty bright high, the different modes were still very distinguishable. I left it on for 15 more minutes after which the voltage had dropped to 2.95V. Repeated that again for 15 minutes after which the voltage was 2.80 V.
My panasonic CR123A primaries (cr17345) at low-voltage indication (and some time beyond) had 2.69V on them.

In snowy conditions this light is very blinding, as most leds and especially floody ones will be. I prefer a little bit more focused beam, which would also help a little in snowy conditions

I really like the light, the destruction tests found on youtube here show how strong it is and how much punishment it can take. If you haven't seen this and are interested in the m1x or the javelot ones you should at least scrub over the next video (frozen, driven over, it is put in the bbq, tossed around, used as a hammer etc)

I'll start searching for a new light in the category "defensive 18650 1000+ lumen EDC flashlight" that would make it absolutely perfect for me. It should be the same form factor as the M1X and the same UI as it currently has but with the following modifications in order of importance:

- a slightly more focused beam, it is just a bit too floody in my opinion. I think sacrificing a bit of spill for more throw would make it even better.
- more knurling, especially on the piece between the tail cap and the head, where you would want the most grip when actually using it in self defence. this would support your ring and middle finger while gripping
- tailstand possibility with two facing ridges on the tail positioned in a way so that you can activate the mode button with your pinky while you hold it in a reverse grip. For me this would be at an angle of around 90 degrees on the tailcap relative to the mode button. This would still leave it plenty accessible while wearing gloves but make it definitely more useful both as a tailstanding light and as a guide for your fingers to manipulate the mode button in reverse grip.
- slightly more protruding mode button since it's pretty hard to find when feeling it. A slight 'bumpy' feel would really make it much easier to find. Positioning the pocket clip will help to guide your finger to the button. that's why I leave it on there, I prefer clipless.
- a multi-step low-voltage indicator to provide a little more early warning about the status of your light. I'm not sure how I would like this GUI wise, maybe dual color or something, or multiple dots. I'm already very happy with the low-voltage indicator since it's better than nothing
- glow in the dark bezel ring
- a quality pouch of strong nylon with molle attachment (which is not a must have. but it would be nice)

I like the light a lot, most of the issues above are improvements that would just make my use of the light a better experience and make it even more versatile than it currently is.

I'm curious for your comments on this and I hope Olight hears this :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff, wow..................i almost cried :faint: , poor olights and nice olights at that!!!! Olight do make a solid light, and took more abuse than 100 life times in that video.

:welcome:

Bucur

Enlightened
Rizzie, thanks for your comments on the self-defense abilities of the tactical lights in general and of the M1X in particular. This was informative for me. The video, however, seems to show much more on the ethos of the producer than it shows on the strength of the flashlights in question.

kj2

Flashaholic
First of all :welcome: and thanks for reading my review :D
Personally I don't use my M1X that much but it is a great light for the needs/usage you describe. Although I know quite a few lights, I can't think of any light that looks like the M1X and functions like it, and also features the modifications
you would like. You can always try to get in contact with Olight, and tell your wishes to them. I know Olight likes to receive costumer feedback to improve their lights further.

rizzie

Newly Enlightened
Nice post!
thanks :) I used to do some reviews around 2010, mostly on knives and outdoor activities, but haven't been doing that stuff the past 5 years.
I'm really excited again about flashlights, so it kind of itched to share at least some information and opinions that I hadn't seen before.

Heck of a post......hard to watch that video without cringing! :eek::thumbsup:
yes, it's pretty senseless when you ruin some quality stuff, but amusing to watch and very informative.
I saw another video from someone that was really slamming the m1x bevel first in living pines. that was pretty impressive too.
I was personally rather surprised that the glass was so tough, I assumed it would break pretty easily.

Great stuff, wow..................i almost cried :faint: , poor olights and nice olights at that!!!! Olight do make a solid light, and took more abuse than 100 life times in that video.

:welcome:
yes, but good to know that IF you ever come into a situation that you really need a reliable light, you know it won't let you down that easily.

I feel that a flashlight nearly killed me one day, but it was the spare light that I was able to use after the other one died on me that saved my life.

I was walking/'climbing' the Ben Ledi in Schotland early december in 2000 with a friend and we let ourselves get caught out by the dark. It was the pilot episode of 'amateur hour' that day...
compass at hand but with a bad map, not enough food to keep our sugar up, and I was totally burned up with muscle ache everywhere...
We had walked to the top very quickly to take an exit path on the other end. turned out it wasn't the top but a plateau and the mist prevented us from seeing more.
This happened another time (thinking it was the top) before we got there.
Before the top we had seen a memorial of a mountain ranger that had been killed while on a rescue mission :eek:. we knew this wasn't as easy as we thought it would be.

Moving further along the route for an hout I got more fatigued with climbing and descending. We realized we couldn't make our exit path and had to backtrack because this was our only known route which we would be able to recognize and was safe. Now I had to climb up again and there came a point where I could move 2 steps at a time and had to rest for a minute before I could move on. Didn't think about just ditching the weight from my back pack..

Then the dark set in, fatigue was enourmous, gusting wind (I've sailed a lot in my youth and guessed it was about windforce 7) and rain that was chilly and irritating.
I had two flashlights on me, both very small maglites (don't know what type, something like a solitair maglite, comparable with a fenix E01 but then an incan and one size larger)
We couldn't see 5 meters ahead of us in the weather and then the larger maglite died (which is still a small one).
Luckily I had a spare smaller one. This allowed us to see 2 meters around us and at least follow something that looked like pebbles on the 'path' we took earlier. We held hands to not lose sight of each other and to keep our footing. I was really anxious about the state of the flashlight thinking that this was probably our only hope of getting out safe. Because there ain't no lights in the highlands, and without light you make costly mistakes easily. I had found a new meaning of living in the dark there.

At my darkest hour on that mountain it suddenly seemed as if my friend collapsed, but then I realized he was hanging over the memorial we had seen before.

Seeing that we were now on the right path and things would be easier going down the path was a great motivation. We managed to reach the grass line and just let ourselves slide down the grass and the water that was coming of the mountain. When we reached the treeline we knew we were safe and I was grateful like never before for having had the wits to at least take 2 flashlights.

I learned a lot of things that day and one that stuck with me was 'one is none' which I also found to be true for knives later in life. Be prepared was another one... I had failed miserably on the latter that day.

Anyway, we got out alive thanks to the smallest maglite flashlight.

So I value a good flashlight a lot more now :laughing:

Rizzie, thanks for your comments on the self-defense abilities of the tactical lights in general and of the M1X in particular. This was informative for me. The video, however, seems to show much more on the ethos of the producer than it shows on the strength of the flashlights in question.
He's both helpful and wasteful. But I don't speak his language so I'm not sure... he has a nice dog though.

If you now something about the human anatomy, you realize there is a lot more you can do in self defense than just fighting with fists. I don't advocate violence and running is better than fighting. But there is a lot of damage you can do with a non-lethal weapon. That said, putting the M1X to a skull or slashing the neck/throat might prove to give more damage than you'd want to inflict. In a struggle I'd definitely go for an eye with this one...
But I don't want to come accross as violent, it's just that I've always practiced in a very friendly way to do the most damage to the human body. I gave that up after I had to much knee complaints, didn't want to ruin my body any further.

Keep in mind that the olight will definitely scream weapon for some people (bouncers, law enforcement, airport officials etc)

First of all :welcome: and thanks for reading my review :D
Personally I don't use my M1X that much but it is a great light for the needs/usage you describe. Although I know quite a few lights, I can't think of any light that looks like the M1X and functions like it, and also features the modifications
you would like. You can always try to get in contact with Olight, and tell your wishes to them. I know Olight likes to receive costumer feedback to improve their lights further.
Thank you for your review :)

I will give olight a heads up. I think that with the development time of a flashlight it will be some time before something like that might come up. And everybody has different wishes and tastes.

That said, I think a multilevel voltage indicator will be a standard feature in the future, and glow in the dark rings never hurt. It's absolutely not visible to someone else in a tactical situation and your noise and smell will give you away long before a tiny glowring will since the light output is too low, but it's very useful in the home situation when you've recently used the light and want to find it more easily. Really a no brainer to me and I expect it to be a more regular feature on flashlights also.
The knurling is a miss. there is no way around that...
The button, I just checked again, it's just not easy to find it by feeling for it. there are other ways than just making it more bumpy to get more feel for it for example by making the surroundings on both side with a kind of 'braille' spots (just throwing around some ideas).
Having it be able to tailstand is mainly easy to see where I pee late at night :) I think a lot of you might be empathic to that lol

rizzie

Newly Enlightened
you would like.
What do you think about the nitecore p12GT?
- check: can stand on tail (90 degrees angle facing ridges)
- check: more focused beam and more distance
- check: has voltage indication (via flashing lights, on demand)
- check: memorizes strobe
- check: moonlight mode
- check: 1000 lumen
- check: more knurling
- partial check: button more distinct, albeit not much more so and it is not metal
- no: no glow in the dark ring
- partial check: holster, nylon and velcro (I guess you pay for it if you compare prices)
- partial check: almost same form factor as the M1X but less aggressive bevel