H2O dunk test - M6, 24/7, L4, LSH-P, Z3, others...

Deanster

Enlightened
Some of you may remember that I've been hard on Surefire lights re their failure to guarantee of even a minimum level of watertightness on many models. I'm a boater, diver, and live in Seattle, so some assurance of being watertight is critical to me.

On a whim, I decided to dunk several of my lights in my hot tub for 10-15 minutes today. While a bit on the heart-stopping side, I decided that knowing that a light could really take a full (if somewhat brief and shallow) submersion would be very valuable to me, more than enough to cover the cost of a blown lamp module or two, or even (unlikely in fresh water) the total loss of a light.

Tested lights were SF M6, L4, Z3; Inova 24/7 and Microlight; Arc LSH-P, LSL-P, AA and AAA; and Pelican Stealthlight and Super Sabrelight. All were put in exactly as they came out of their storage places. No exta silicone lube, no checks for dog hair on the o-rings, etc.

FYI, the tub was a nice toasty 102*F, with depths mostly about 1.5' on the shelf where I set the lights. Each light was submerged, and the switches operated several times. For those with push momentary and twist constant-on, I tested both methods several times each.

The lights that aren't rated as submersible are the Z3, Microlight, and 24/7. I fully expected to fish these out inoperable, especially the 24/7, as others have indicated that theirs have failed with only a light splash of water. The Z3 and 24/7 came out operating perfectly, the Microlight had an unusual failure, in that it failed 'partially on', with the light operating at ~1/2 brightness with the switch off, and would go to full brightness when switched on.

Among lights that are supposed to be water-resistant, the L4, M6, and all the ARC's, all came out working perfectly (though putting the M6 in was mighty hard). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Finally, and totally unsurprisingly, the dive-rated (and previously dive-used by me at up to 100') Pelicans also came out fine.

The only significant lights I own that I didn't test were the SF G2, which I couldn't find, and the Dorcy Spyder, which I forgot about. Maybe tomorrow!

All in all, I was very suprised and impressed by the 24/7 and the Z3. I'll be much easier on SF on the watertightness issue in the future, though I do wish they'd give a rating, so one wouldn't have to sweat it.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
YOU ARE A MADMAN!

(that took guts!)

I will feel safer with my M6 around water - thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

You are a braver man than I am!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
quick follow-up - I'd expected that the Inova Microlight would operate correctly after a drying-out period, but it seems to continue to have problems. After disassembling it and leaving it to dry overnight, then reassembling, the momentary switch works correctly, but the constant-on switch only turns the light to ~50% of full brightness.

I wonder if I perhaps bent the contacts when disassembling? I was very gentle, but the upper contact/battery holder looks a bit fragile and fiddly.

I'll fiddle with it a bit and see if I can get it working properly - either way, while I LOVE the form factor and function of this light, I'm pretty dissapointed by its performance - failure in the water, and then perhaps a bit delicate when dissembled to dry. That said, the thing never failed in a way that it wouldn't provide full light when squeezed - not a bad failure mode.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: H2O dunk test - M6, 24/7, L4, LSH-P, Z3, other

You might try rinsing out the Inova with fresh water and then cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: H2O dunk test - M6, 24/7, L4, LSH-P, Z3, other

I work on high and low voltage power supplies for a living. We have found the trickest way to clean water contaminated equipment is to disassemble it then dunk it in a solution of 6 parts distilled water, 1 part windex for 5 minites. Then dunk it in pure distilled water for 2 minites and use a blow dryer TILL DRY on it before re-assembly.

Kram

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
the Microlight had an unusual failure, in that it failed 'partially on', with the light operating at ~1/2 brightness with the switch off, and would go to full brightness when switched on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, I had the same failure mode after carrying the Inova microlight around in my pocket for a few months. I fiddled with it and duplicated your second described failure mode (half on when switch is "off" and full on when switch is "on"). Unfortunately, further disassembly and cleaning resulted in total non functionality (which is embarrassing considering how simple the switch is). I like the light, but was disappointed with its somewhat unreliable switch.

Mark

Deanster

Enlightened
after a thorough cleaning (using the time-honored 'wipe briskly with cleanest part of t-shirt' method), the Inova is back to normal operation...looks like some minerals or gunge collected between the batteries - perhaps they weren't 100% dry when I put them back in.

I'm happy.

Jarhead

Banned
Well, the ocean off seattle is cold. Did you heat your lights up first, and try sticking them in icy water for an hour yet? Very realistic test here...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Photon light went thru the wash and had the same exact failure type as your Inova, half on with the switch off. I took it apart and cleaned and dried it and it works ok now.

nexro

Enlightened
I wonder if my E2e will survive this test /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Does warranty covers a 'water' failure?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've submerged my C2, G2Z, and A2 with no problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the G2 can be submerged and will stop the ingress of water, but do not press the mometary switch or take it too deep or the water pressure will push the switch on and the light will take on water.

the G2 can be made to be fairly waterproof though. simply tighten the tailcap all the way down tightly, and tighten or loosen the bezel to turn the light on and off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nexro: your E2e should be fine. if it leaks it all, it will probably do so through the bezel lens seal. if it does, surefire CS will send you a new one.

llvo

Enlightened
I've done similar tests on my SF L1, E2e, D3, Inova X5T, PrinceonTec Impact, UK2AAA, UK2AAALED, UK4AA, ArcAAA-P, Forever LED shakelight(float).

Results:
All survived and functional.

I was quite hesitate to put the L1 to test, but I did it.
Nevertheless, flashlights are meant to use and the only way to know whether it's waterproof is to test it before take it out serving you in all weather conditions.

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
i tested my yellow g2 the other night.

I had a cup and put it inside with water inside the cup.

the flashlight was half submerged head first and on.

when i pulled it out after about 5 minutes, there was some condensation. the condensation would go away after a little while and then i'd pull it out and look at it and put it back in and bam more condensation.

so i can imagine that whatever water vapors inside the light at the time are condensing against the glass because of the temperature difference.

But anyway, after I took it apart at 40 minutes (batteries yellowed to the point that i said might as well finish the test).

when i put everything back in, including a new set of batteries, as i pushed the bezel over the o-ring, i could hear air escaping from the lens. i guess that answers the question of g2 waterproofness.

Deanster

Enlightened
Anyone else tried their G2 in water - most reports I've heard were that the bezel/lens seal should not be considered watertight - any other experiences to share?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the G2 i had did not leak, but it can happen if the nylon retaining ring was not screwed down tightly enough at the factory. i suspect that is the reason for stan's leaking G2. i'd get a replacement from surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif