Fenix E12 gets another chance

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured I'd post about something OTHER than an E01, so we will take a look at my modified E12. This is a light I've had for a while and really enjoyed using it when I first got it. For whatever reason, after a bit I got bored with it and it sat in a drawer for a while and then was handed off to my kids to use. After I started modifying the tint on my E01s I was looking for another light to mess with, and since the E12 isn't too expensive I thought what the heck. First thing I did was to add a paracord wrap. I tried a few clips on it in the past but this light feels better to me without one. The 550 cord adds to the grip,(especially holding it cigar style) and it also keeps it from rolling around so easily. It's ugly but I really don't care. Next I went ahead and took some sandpaper to the plastic lens which really smoothed out the beam. Not that it was horrible but it did help. Then came the brown sharpie and no word of a lie the tint is now almost EXACTLY like the two incan mags that I had. Literally the closest tint I've seen to an incan and I've tried warm nichias, warm Malkoffs etc. I love it. Of course it dropped the output but I like a lower low than the 8 lumens that it puts out stock. I'm also a moon mode fan since I use my lights around the house at night so I went to work making a diffuser. I pulled a cap off an old medicine bottle, Robitussin, Benadryl, something like that, and it cut the light really well but was too big for the E12 head. Grabbed electrical tape and wrapped the sides and hung an extra strip that extends beyond the bottom of the cap and folded it inside the cap to take away some space and voila.....it fits perfectly now. Solid, not going to fall off. So now I have an E12 with a warm tint, better grip, and modes more to my liking including sub-lumen with diffuser. I'm going to take a break from my E01s and give the E12 some more use. So far I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for letting me bore you. :)
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickrimage by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickrimage by Six Pound Cat, on Flickrimage by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shot with Preon P1 gen 2. iPhone is exaggerating the yellow ring around the "hotspot", but this is a decent representation of the new tint. image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
There is some satisfaction which comes from finding just the tool for your job. But I personally think there is much greater satisfaction in making another item into the perfect tool for the job. Love what you have done!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Personalizing does make a big difference I think.
There is some satisfaction which comes from finding just the tool for your job. But I personally think there is much greater satisfaction in making another item into the perfect tool for the job. Love what you have done!