TK20R thread?

BrightEyesBurningLikeFire

Newly Enlightened
Am I being utterly daft or has the thread gone?!

Anyway I've had mine a week and utterly love it. It replaced a TK21 which I had a few issues with; it never stayed on full power for more than a minute or two despite using very good batteries.

Anyway the USB charging, power meter and double lumen rating of the TK20R won it for me and I'm VERY pleased!

Nice and compact, looks like the TK21 so it got past the missus (!!), bullet proof and so far, great battery life.

Also very handy having a proper "low" mode unlike my TK11.

Pricey at around £90-100 but worth it IMO.

Just need to NOT lose this one!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a nice light.

Is there any parasitic drain? I assume the metal inner tube causes the circuit to remain fully connected even with the clicky in 'off' position, but not sure.

colight

Enlightened
BrightEyes, I wouldn't know if the thread is gone or not, but I will surely follow it if this develops into one. I don't have a TK20R as yet, but it is high on my list. I got the (regular) TK47 recently and am utterly happy with it, but when my funds allow it again, I am definitely thinking of buying this TK20R. I think it is one of the best lights from Fenix for a while!

Newly Enlightened
BrightEyes, I wouldn't know if the thread is gone or not, but I will surely follow it if this develops into one. I don't have a TK20R as yet, but it is high on my list. I got the (regular) TK47 recently and am utterly happy with it, but when my funds allow it again, I am definitely thinking of buying this TK20R. I think it is one of the best lights from Fenix for a while!

It's really weird, there was a thread about it (which helped me choose one) but I just cannot find it. Must have been deleted?
Definitely a fan of Fenix - they seem to strike a good balance between high quality and just about affordable(ish) pricing. I get told time and time again how "this and that Ebay Chinese special is a zillion lumens for only £10" but like most people here I won't even begin to look at them. It's the same with bike lights (I have one 1700 lumen made bar light that was rather expensive and a 500 lumen "Moon" Raleigh brand helmet light. Oh and a few Petzl headtorches too for trail running - my favourite by far is the auto light sensing Nao.

Carl - I'm afraid I don't know but German tests seem very good with excellent battery life across all modes. If I find I need more run time, I'll upgrade the battery to the Fenix 3500mAh one. For now the 2900mAh one that it came with is doing fine.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey why not? There should be a TK20R thread the light is just that good. Had mine since it first went on sale. IP68 rated is icing on the cake. I consider the TK20R an up armored TK15UE. The output is the same and the beam profiles are almost identical which is a very good thing. The only complaint I have about the TK20R is it only has 4 main output modes. A 5th would have been great be it placed on the higher output end or towards the lower. Thermally regulated and it feels like a small hammer in hand. I do not use the built in micro USB as for me it just takes to long to charge a depleted cell that and I have several stand alone chargers that will do the job in half the time.

The belt holster the TK20R comes with is one of the highest quality belt holsters I have ever seen a Fenix light come with. The included Fenix brand 2900mah 18650 is about the best 2900mah 18650 I have ever used. That being said I tend to use the two highest settings which tend to drain the 2900mah cell on the quick side. Currently have a new Orbtronic 3500mah GA cell in it. Lasts a good bit longer.

I have noticed one "issue" with the light. Unless the tail cap is screwed down pretty tightly I have noticed that it will flicker. I chalk this up to having the micro USB port built into the tail thus full contact must be made for proper function.

Newly Enlightened
Hey why not? There should be a TK20R thread the light is just that good. Had mine since it first went on sale. IP68 rated is icing on the cake. I consider the TK20R an up armored TK15UE. The output is the same and the beam profiles are almost identical which is a very good thing. The only complaint I have about the TK20R is it only has 4 main output modes. A 5th would have been great be it placed on the higher output end or towards the lower. Thermally regulated and it feels like a small hammer in hand. I do not use the built in micro USB as for me it just takes to long to charge a depleted cell that and I have several stand alone chargers that will do the job in half the time.

The belt holster the TK20R comes with is one of the highest quality belt holsters I have ever seen a Fenix light come with. The included Fenix brand 2900mah 18650 is about the best 2900mah 18650 I have ever used. That being said I tend to use the two highest settings which tend to drain the 2900mah cell on the quick side. Currently have a new Orbtronic 3500mah GA cell in it. Lasts a good bit longer.

I have noticed one "issue" with the light. Unless the tail cap is screwed down pretty tightly I have noticed that it will flicker. I chalk this up to having the micro USB port built into the tail thus full contact must be made for proper function.

My TK11 and TK21 needed a fully screwed down tail cap too - I guess it's just not a proper circuit unless it's tight?

Newly Enlightened
Used it to help search for a dog (in a non Coastguard capacity) along the steep cliffs around here and it was brilliant; clearly lit up the cliffs a good 500m away. The dog was found in a hotel a while later!

Very impressed with this and if it helps locate a missing person as a Coastguard, so much the better.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is correct. There is just more electronics in the tail thus the contact points between the tail and the tube must be 100% fully complete is what I have deduced. That being said I do not see it as a bad design there is just more to the light with the micro USB port in the tail. Aside from that my TK20R with the tail tightly screwed down has been reliable as a framing hammer. When it comes to micro USB rechargeable tactical style lights the TK20R is as far as I know the best there is. I am very curious to see what EagTac does with the due at any time G25C2 MkIII XHP-35 HI if EagTac jumps into the IP68 with micro USB charging race..

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used it to help search for a dog (in a non Coastguard capacity) along the steep cliffs around here and it was brilliant; clearly lit up the cliffs a good 500m away. The dog was found in a hotel a while later!

Very impressed with this and if it helps locate a missing person as a Coastguard, so much the better.

The light is advertised at only 24,000 CD (310m of throw).
Assuming "clearly lit up means" at least 0.25 lux on target: that means the light should have been rated at 500^2 x 0.25 = 62,500 CD.
0.25 lux on target is barely lit up to most people, so let's give Fenix the benefit of the doubt and say it was actually at least 1 lux on target...
500^2 x 1 = 250,000 CD.
Wow, either way Fenix is grossly selling this light short!

Newly Enlightened
Okay I guesstimated slightly as it's hard to measure exact distances off the edge of an 80ft cliff BUT it is certainly very impressive and a fine tool for the Coastguard (and other) job.
They claim 310m but I've shone it across a beach I've GPS measured at 600m and it's lit up the other side pretty well. Nope not scientific fact but plain old personal experience.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I guesstimated slightly as it's hard to measure exact distances off the edge of an 80ft cliff BUT it is certainly very impressive and a fine tool for the Coastguard (and other) job.
They claim 310m but I've shone it across a beach I've GPS measured at 600m and it's lit up the other side pretty well. Nope not scientific fact but plain old personal experience.

You must have eyes of an owl, and I need more vitamin A. Or there's just so much orange sodium street light pollution even in residential areas, that my beams go nowhere.

Newly Enlightened
You must have eyes of an owl, and I need more vitamin A. Or there's just so much orange sodium street light pollution even in residential areas, that my beams go nowhere.

We certainly have very little, if any light pollution. My eyesight is fine but nothing spectacular.

Anyway it's a great little torch. And I'll avoid EVER using numbers again on here. Not like an HM Coastguard would have any idea what a good torch is eh?

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
We certainly have very little, if any light pollution. My eyesight is fine but nothing spectacular.

Anyway it's a great little torch. And I'll avoid EVER using numbers again on here. Not like an HM Coastguard would have any idea what a good torch is eh?

With regards to raw performance, e.g., output, throw, and run times, we need the objectivity of the numbers. In the absence of numbers, we should at least describe in more detail our subjective impressions, in order to avoid confusion and false inferences. As I've said before, most would not consider 0.25 lux or less on target clearly lit up. At the 500 and 600 meter distances you mentioned, your TK20r most certainly put much less than 0.25 lux on target. Now, you might actually consider that well lit, and that just means your opinion is atypical. There's nothing wrong with that. We can't argue opinions, but please do preface or qualify your impressions in some ways if you know they are not the norm.

Newly Enlightened
I tell you what, despite being a keen Fenix fan, owner of some top end running headtorches and good MTB lights, I'll leave it.
If the numbers Police are going to question every post to a ridiculously pedantic degree I'll just carry on.

Actually USING the light for it's chosen task is clearly irrelevant.

I will at the same time judge cars (another passion) simply by numbers and not driving feel or the fun factor.

And I will reduce my favourite pastime of surfing (in the sea, not randomly browsing Wikipedia to try and prove people wrong) to simple numerical data.

So long.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried to bring some science and common sense into the discussion. Didn't take.
Goodbye and uh, good luck.