[Review] Fenix LD12 (2017 edition) AA/14500 Flashlight

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a review of the Fenix LD12, 2017 edition flashlight. It is a simple, yet versatile, flashlight that uses a Cree XP-G2 neutral white LED. It takes a AA or 14500 battery, has a easy-to-use two button interface, with 4 output levels + a hidden strobe.

The light was provided by Banggood for review purposes.

There is a video review of the light I put up on youtube, here:

There's a link to the light with a 28% discount code in the video description. (I don't think I'm allowed to put links like that here.) I don't receive any compensation if you buy the light, I'm just passing the code along.

Flashaholics can appreciate this light for its quality construction, nice neutral white tint, multiple modes, and a forward clicky on/off tailswitch. However, I quickly became aware that this is a flashlight that non-flashaholics will also really like, for its simple and intuitive interface. My wife quickly stole this light from me, when I showed it to her. She hates all my other flashlights, but immediately snapped up this one because of the easy interface and useful mode levels. Does liking one flashlight make someone a flashaholic? Perhaps not, but it's a start.

Overview:

The Fenix LD12 (2017) is a well-made every-day-carry light, with a great user-interface that is both simple and versatile. It is constructed of anodized aluminum, and takes either a single AA battery (NiMH, alkaline, or lithium primary), or a lithium-ion 14500 battery. Using it with a 14500 battery gives you the benefit of brighter maximum output (the other modes are the same). A neutral-white XP-G2 emitter gives a very pleasing neutral tint, and reasonable throw for outdoor use.

This light is not outstanding in any individual characteristic (brightness, efficiency, size, etc.), however it does extremely well at combining those factors into a format and interface that is extremely usable.

The 1xAA format is my favorite type of flashlight, due to its compact size, ease of carrying, easily available batteries, and acceptable output and run time. This light fits nicely into that category, especially since it also accepts 14500 cells. There are definitely times when I need higher output and longer run times, and I'll use a higher-capacity format for that, but most of the time a 1xAA light is more than sufficient.

My only complaint about most 1xAA lights is that they are too floody for outdoor use, especially when using the XM-L2 or XP-L emitter. The Fenix LD12 solves that by using an XP-G2 emitter, which gives better throw. It's not going to blind anyone, but it throws further than a 1xAA Zebralight, despite having lower overall output. So, it's a good EDC light both indoors and outdoors.

An overview of the specs follow. I give more details later in the review, as well as a comparison to other lights. My own measurements line up extremely close to Fenix's specs (well within my margin of error). You can find the manufacturer's specs in the site link above.

Pictures follow these specs.

Modes: 4 (low, medium, high, turbo, and strobe). The light has mode memory.

LED: Cree XP-G2, 4500K neutral white.

Lens: anti-reflection coated. Protected by bezel.

Size: 102mm long, 21mm diameter.

Weight: 56g without battery, 82g with an Eneloop installed.

Construction: Black anodized aluminum. Waterproof and drop-proof (1 meter). Good grip on body. Threads are very nicely square cut, and came lubricated. Space on tail for a lanyard (included). Feels solid and well built.

Warranty: 5 years.

Battery type: 1xAA NiMH, lithium primary, or alkaline. Or, 1x14500 lithium ion.

Output: Turbo, 150 lumens (AA) or 320 lumens (14500), high 70 lumens, medium 30 lumens, low 5 lumens. Graph included below. Output is flatly-regulated, except for a pre-programmed step-down from turbo if using a 14500 battery (no step-down for AA battery).

Run-time:
Turbo (AA) - 75 minutes on a 1900mAh Eneloop. 1.75 hours on a high capacity NiMH.
Turbo (14500) - A bit under 1 hour, continuous. Although, the light steps-down after 5 minutes, giving a run time closer to 3 hours.
High - 4.5 hours
Medium - 11 hours
Low - 2.5 days

Throw: 2500/5000 candela (AA/14500). This represents a throw of 100/140 meters, to 0.25 lux. This is a bit better range than comparable Zebralights, due to the more intense hot-spot.

Heat: No issue on AA battery. Light will get warm on 14500, but 5-minute step-down prevent overheating.

Tint: 4500K cool white. The tint is very nice for a Cree XP-G2. I think Cree has gotten better at producing nice white tints in the past year. Old Cree LEDs tended to be green, but this one is not.

Beam pattern: It has a bright hot-spot, a diffuse corona, and a dimmer spill. It's about what you'd expect from an XP-G2 in this size light.

PWM: I could not detect any PWM either with my eyes or with a high shutter speed camera.

Tail stands: yes, but needs a solid surface. Due to the forward clicky tail switch, there are only two flat surfaces surrounding the switch. This allows for tail standing on a hard surface, but not on a soft surface because it is too easy to tilt.

Operation:

In my opinion, this is where this light "shines". Forward tail clicky to turn the light on and off (single press). Electronic side switch to switch modes (single press). The light has mode memory. To activate the hidden strobe, press and hold the side switch.

You can optionally lock out the light by slightly unscrewing the light (due to anodized threads).

Anyway, it's really simple and easy to use. Guaranteed not to frustrate non-flashaholics!

My impressions:

Pros:

- The interface is simple and yet gives good functionality.

- Nice neutral white tint.

- Decent throw, for a light that doesn't have high output.

- Well made. Waterproof, drop-proof. Dust proof, according to some specs.

- Flat regulation. This light won't dim until the battery is depleted.

- Switch is easy to find and operate in the dark, but recessed and strong enough to not accidentally turn on.

- Modes have decent spacing, though I think this light could have done fine with just 3 modes, rather than 4.

- Supports a wide range of battery types.

Cons:

- Not very bright overall output on a AA. Needs a 14500 to get high output.

- The step-down on a 14500 probably should have been to the turbo AA level, not high.

- Tail-standing is unstable unless your surface is hard and flat

- Non flashaholics might steal this light from you.

And now, for some pictures.

Contents:

Contains the usual extras, clip, lanyard, o-ring, manual, and an alkaline battery (which you should throw away and get some Eneloops for all your AA lights).

XYT7Wtl.jpg

Various pictures of the Fenix LD12.

CCe5XU3.jpg

POltwEj.jpg

qcSmzNT.jpg

S4KBgJ2.jpg

JqG4PQz.jpg

bvZrX7V.jpg

hk6v56N.jpg

XERBE8f.jpg

This is the beam shot, alone:

wE3WnAp.jpg

This is a output graph of running the light on turbo. Note that on a 14500, the light steps down to high, and continues running for a couple of hours longer than on a AA battery.

m8x6ihv.jpg

That's all for now. Thank you for reading.

proceed5

Enlightened
Wow, Finally there is One review of this light. It has been a long long wait.
Thank you Walkintothelight, thank you very much for posting up this Review.

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Amazing review! I've been EDCing this light for about 4 weeks and I do really love it. However when I very quickly grab the light out of my pocket and hit the tail click, my pinky hits the selector switch on the side putting it in the low lumen mode (I leave it in turbo). But I really do love it. 320 lumens is bright - especially for its compact size!

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Amazing review! I've been EDCing this light for about 4 weeks and I do really love it. However when I very quickly grab the light out of my pocket and hit the tail click, my pinky hits the selector switch on the side putting it in the low lumen mode (I leave it in turbo). But I really do love it. 320 lumens is bright - especially for its compact size!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Yes, I'd like to EDC it more myself, but I'll have to steal it back! I'm a neutral-white fan, so it's good to see Fenix using that tint in some of their lights.

gilson65

Newly Enlightened
My favorite light usually don't buy without reviews but this was an exception very glad i did

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from the fact that I do like the light, there are three cons for me on this light: 1) Fenix did not provide a holster like they do on most of their lights. 2) The tail cap button is a little hard to push. It's similar to the PD32 2016. I preferred the previous switch. 3) Max mode isn't very efficient at all with an Eneloop and is geared more to a 14500 at this level. Fenix should have just allowed 3 modes with a non 14500 battery..........thus I run a 14500 in mine. (Be aware that the battery tube is a little narrower than the LD11 and my Keeppower 14500 was a little tight. Use the Fenix 800mAh battery for assurance. But I do like the light and the tint. What I find interesting is the run time compared to other single AA lights..........and compared to its similar cousin the LD11 which also utilizes a 14500 battery and has an XP-G2.

(post #82 for discussion and run time charts)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?425958-Fenix-LD12-2017-Edition/page3

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review.

With a lacking sub-lumen mode, my 2015 Thrunite Archer 1A NW still has this one beat, despite being very close in appearance.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I have been EDCing mine for about two months or so and like everything about it except the jump in output between the high mode and turbo mode when using a 14500. A lot of times I find the high mode insufficient but the turbo mode blinding. I have not hardly used an eneloop as I have read previous comments about the turbo mode on an eneloop not being very well regulated.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I have been EDCing mine for about two months or so and like everything about it except the jump in output between the high mode and turbo mode when using a 14500. A lot of times I find the high mode insufficient but the turbo mode blinding. I have not hardly used an eneloop as I have read previous comments about the turbo mode on an eneloop not being very well regulated.

It's quite well regulated on turbo using an Eneloop. I think the issue is that it's not as efficient as lights that use an XM-L2 or XP-L. But it's not too bad. My Zebralight SC5w gets about 25% longer run time at a similar output (it's really about 10-15% higher output, but it's hard to tell with the eye).

The greater throw of the XP-G2 partly makes up for the lower output / less efficiency. At least, for outdoor use.

As mentioned, it doesn't excel in any one particular area, but it goes a good job overall. Perhaps it excels with the UI, which I find really nice. The only thing I'd change is make one of the 4 modes a moonlight mode, though that's a personal preference.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a 4000-4500k XPL HI have made this light more attractive? You get better efficiency, throw, and probably brighter spill.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's quite well regulated on turbo using an Eneloop. I think the issue is that it's not as efficient as lights that use an XM-L2 or XP-L. But it's not too bad.
Not to be confrontational, but mine didn't do very well at all with an Eneloop on Turbo. Take a look at the chart I posted on the other thread compared to a bunch of other single AA lights. It really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that its "just" an XP-G2 as that LED is a good compliment to an AA light. But has everything to do with how Fenix does the driver for this particular light. At least that is my take on it. Maybe someone else can take a fully charged 2000mAh Eneloop and see what they get for run time. I got about 60 minutes which isn't very good. All other lights I tested got 90 to 120 minutes on their max setting. (note chart).

The Fenix LD11 which also is XP-G2 and has a driver that can do AA or 14500 does a better job in its max setting in my opinion. There is something about the design of the Fenix driver on my LD12 2017 that attempts to extract every bit of current an Eneloop can source which won't be a linear output. Thus the output starts out near 190 lumens and then sags bad. Pulling a heavy load like that out of the battery is going to end up with a capacity less than its rated 2000mAh. I wish they would only attempt to get a max of 150 lumens or even 140 lumens out of an AA and then we'd see 90 minutes plus of run time like the other single AA lights that I compared it to.

I'm not trying to dis the light completely because I like the light as its well regulated and efficient at the other levels with AA and if I really need turbo output then I'd use it primarily with a 14500 battery. I like the neutral tint and I think that is its biggest selling point along with the 14500 capability.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a 4000-4500k XPL HI have made this light more attractive? You get better efficiency, throw, and probably brighter spill.
I changed the LED to an XP-L in a Fenix HL25 headlamp that came stock with XP-G2 and got about 20% increase in output. It was most noticeable at the max setting. Run time didn't change at all. So XP-L and XM-L2 do better in lights that can drive them to their potential which AA lights can't. But I see no problem with XP-G2 in single AA lights. The biggest factor in run time and efficiency is in the electronic driver. I've seen one brand of light with XM-L2 perform the same as another brand with XP-G2. The Fenix E15 with XP-G2 can contend with other lights that utilize XP-L. So the driver is the key component in my opinion. Naturally matching a good driver with an XP-L or XM-L2 is optimum.

Last edited:

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
I just use the 14500 that came with the flashlight and I have no issues. The turbo mode S is very bright. ...just my two pennies.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed the LED to an XP-L in a Fenix HL25 headlamp that came stock with XP-G2 and got about 20% increase in output. It was most noticeable at the max setting. Run time didn't change at all. So XP-L and XM-L2 do better in lights that can drive them to their potential which AA lights can't. But I see no problem with XP-G2 in single AA lights. The biggest factor in run time and efficiency is in the electronic driver. I've seen one brand of light with XM-L2 perform the same as another brand with XP-G2. The Fenix E15 with XP-G2 can contend with other lights that utilize XP-L. So the driver is the key component in my opinion. Naturally matching a good driver with an XP-L or XM-L2 is optimum.

Thanks for the info. I do wish Fenix would up their driver efficiency as well.