E1E with KL4 head

ibewno3

Newly Enlightened
I know this has probably been brought up numerous times, but how well does this combo work. E1E and KL4 head.

kaseri

Enlightened
Works well. I recommend you get a McLux PR-T head running a BB611. That setup will KILL an e1e with a KL4.

kaseri

Enlightened
The PR-T head will run you about $100 built for just the head. I dont know what an e1e +kl4 combo would cost.

lak

Newly Enlightened
You can do a search for "TW4" and you will get a lot of messages on the E1e+KL4 combo.

jpeg

Enlightened
I just saw the new Surefire Defender with the porcupine bezel...
</ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif>
Why Why Why doesn't surefire sell them as attachments for ALL their lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
<//ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif>

Geode

Enlightened
IIRC, the current price for the McLux head is $115, but I have heard it is way better than the KL4 because the circuitry is specially designed for one 123 cell.

amv

Newly Enlightened
So looking at the beamshots the BB500 with the e1e looks the best. Am I reading this correctly?

ibewno3

Newly Enlightened
OK this is the deal i have the E1E, should i go with the KL4 or get a mclux PR-T head. also where can i get the Mclux head and which one. Kaseri recomended the BB611. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Pete

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 head will probably be cheaper and easier to find but performance will totally depend upon the LED that SureFire used -- and that you will never know.
Buying a KL4 will be a complete crap shoot.
Maybe good, maybe bad.

Stick with the PR/PR-T and look right here in Buy/Sell/Trade.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
amv ... yes and no ... depends on what you want.

the basic PR choice is this:
a 1W or LuxIII will produce a needle spot with treemendous throw and an acceptable corona.
a 5W will produce a medium flood with a huge wall of light at the expense of throw and runtime, depending on the drive current.
a reasonable drive current for a 5W is 500mA or higher (FYI, the L4 is 660mA), but if you want to use a 1x123 setting like an E1e, 500mA is pretty much the max what a single batt can do. this combo will also be able to run on 2x123 with a BB500 driver.
when using a 1W / LuxIII, the drive current varies from 400mA (reasonable) to 700mA (bright) up to 1000mA (even brighter) with a exponential decrease in runtime. the use of a DB or BB driver depends on the number of cells you'd want to use.

The McLux heads and driver noards are sold at the Sandwich Shoppe (see accordingly named forum). You find assambly instructions there. If you are unexperienced or have only left hands like me, you might be better off if someone did the job for you though.

Any further questions are always welcome.

bernhard

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ibewno3 said:
OK this is the deal i have the E1E, should i go with the KL4 or get a mclux PR-T head. also where can i get the Mclux head and which one. Kaseri recomended the BB611. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete, I can recommend the PR-T without reservation, I think it's the best thing you can do with a single 123 cell. I have a McGizmo built PR-T in natural HA with a Badboy 611 and it is my favorite light lately. I also have all the parts to put one together myself, which I don't seem to be getting around to doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Why don't you buy this one from me so I can get motivated? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

ibewno3

Newly Enlightened
I got the PR-T BB611 today from LITFUSE, and this badboy is "BAD"!!!!!!! WOW i cant believe the amount of light compared to the KL-1 i had on the E1E body. Thanks Litfuse and Kaseri for recomending this head. Pete