liteXpress LXB404-4 Maglite LED upgrade

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I had a 4D and a 6D Maglite lying around, and I am too cheap to get Malkoff dropins for them. I saw the liteXpress LXB404-4 LED upgrade for 10 euros (down from about 30 euros) on the german Amazon, so I got two of them.

The tint is pretty consistent between the two modules, even though one is running in a 6D with alkaline D cells, and one is running in a 4D with AA NiMHs in D cell adapter sleeves. One of the amazon reviews claims that the regulation is pretty good.

I took a lux reading from 3 meters away on the 4D Maglite with a cheap POS luxmeter and got 2400 lux (meaning 21600 lux@1m). The same luxmeter rates my 4Sevens Maelstrom X7 (which has roughly the same color temp) at 900 lux@3m equivalent to 8100 lux@1m. Assuming that the Maelstrom is up to spec, and assuming that the selfbuilt review of that light has the right lux reading, that means that my luxmeter returns a reading that is 54% too low(!!!) for this tint, so the Maglite is probably closer to 33000 lux@1m. (My cheapo lux meter has a wildly varying error depending on the tint, so I need to get a new one)

A ceiling bounce reveals, that the Maglite has 68% of the output of the Maelstrom X7. Assuming 480 OTF lumens for Maelstrom gives us roughly 330 OTF lumens for the Maglite.

tl;dr:
My Maglites are sort of relevant again (330 OTF lumens and 33000 lux@1m), and for 10 euros a piece I think that it is worth it. I wouldn't pay full price for these modules, though.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP the member that posted above this post, vestureofblood, is one of the hand full of full size Mag parts fabricators. His business is called Adventure Sport Flashlights. I have dealt with him a few times. He is now selling on his business site what is currently in my opinion the best full size Mag drop in there is it is called the "FireFly". It is a full on drop in the electronics and very good XML2 cool white emitter come in a single piece custom ground aluminum which includes the reflector. I just got mine 2 days ago I dropped it into a 4 D cell Mag that really needed a great upgrade and that is exactly what I got. Vestureofblood advertises the drop in at 800 lumens. To my eyes it looks very much to prove that spec. I have ALL 3 Malkoff drop ins and this FireFly quite honestly is better than all 3 of my Malkoffs. It is also cheaper than the top dog 700 lumen drop in. I strongly suggest you check his site out. I am so impressed with the FireFly I plan on buying one maybe 2 more of them they are just that good. Oh...they also have 3 output modes that are very well spaced. I run it off fresh Energizer alkalines it works fantastic.