Need a flashlight that will scare off raccons or pigeons?

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

May you recommend a flashlight that would scare off raccoons and pigeons?

Any high lumens flashlight will do?

Thanks,

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't know about pigeons but based on my nocturnal actives coons don't seem to care about flashlights. High lumens didn't matter. If they ran off it was because of me not the flashlight. Not sure why critters aren't overly impressed aka scared off. There must be some biological reason but don't know why.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I agree.

Living out here in TheMiddleOfNoWhere midwest USA,
we have LOADS of raccoons and other critters.

They are not bothered in the least
by me shining a bright flashlight at them !

< sigh >

wjv

Enlightened
Last summer while camping, we had 2 raccoons hanging out by our camper.

Hit them with 1,100 lumens @ 160,000 CD (very focused - Olight SR52 Ultra Thrower) right in their faces.

They didn't care one bit. No reaction at all.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last summer while camping, we had 2 raccoons hanging out by our camper.

Hit them with 1,100 lumens @ 160,000 CD (very focused - Olight SR52 Ultra Thrower) right in their faces.

They didn't care one bit. No reaction at all.

I remember that post of yours. Now that I think about it, distance is key. If they had been far away, not much of the 160,000 CD would have made it to their eyes. I wander what their threshold of eye discomfort is.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Scare off a racoon? A couple of years ago, I was sitting on a picnic table at a park in Pinellas County Florida and one came up and started trying to rummage through my back pack right in front of me. I mean right on top of the table. It had zero fear. I had to back off the table and toss a stick at it before it decided to leave!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, wanting to repel the beast, I threw a rock at a raccoon in a tree next to my house. That critter turned around and made every indication it was going to come down and teach me a lesson that included blood-letting, kid you not. Not to be trifled with, and if your dog tangles with one of them, expect hefty vet bills. In Lousiana they are always in season to take, if I remember correctly, but in New Mexico they are considered game animals and subject to applicable laws, though this is also old information.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, wanting to repel the beast, I threw a rock at a raccoon in a tree next to my house. That critter turned around and made every indication it was going to come down and teach me a lesson that included blood-letting, kid you not. Not to be trifled with, and if your dog tangles with one of them, expect hefty vet bills. In Lousiana they are always in season to take, if I remember correctly, but in New Mexico they are considered game animals and subject to applicable laws, though this is also old information.

To be more convincing you should have this one:

61erlQ-bxVL._SL300_.jpg

To be sincere it is powerful enough to hunt small critters. And if to use nuts instead of balls it will produce "psychological" effect :) Kind of this one:

:D

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
I remember that post of yours. Now that I think about it, distance is key. If they had been far away, not much of the 160,000 CD would have made it to their eyes. I wander what their threshold of eye discomfort is.

They were 20-30 FEET away. . So they got the full dose. . No effect.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Ah, just wanted to second many these responses -- a few weeks ago I tried to scare away a family of -- yes count 'em -- 5 raccoons (4 were 'teenagers'); they calmly turned their heads and looked at the bright frantic strobe pointed their way, and turned and went about frolicking in my back yard... even leaping and catching bugs.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know from working on King Hussein of Jordan's former summer cottage, that critters won't budge with lights. i used several spot lights with several million candle power to get them startled. nothing. literally, deer caught in the headlights. i would even simulate a strobe by waving it quickly like those toy drums in one of those karate kids movies. i would roll up close enough to hit them with my car and they wouldn't budge until i opened a window or door. i have found that they are camera shy. everytime i pull out a camera to take a picture nowadays, they take off running. i can beep my horn, yell, throw stuff, and they won't even blink. i pull out the phone to take a pic, and i get the blur of the tail every time.

Illum

Flashaholic
Neither gets scared by flashlights, I've aimed those 55W 1MCP spotlights on raccoons and they look at me funny for a bit, then continue on what they are doing.
Depends on which state you are this might or might not be applicable, but CCI's quiet-22 does a nice job. Low velocity, 40gr. Shoot it out of a 16" barrel and you won't hearing protection. Pigeons... a laser might work.

Richub

Enlightened
I can confirm that lasers will chase off birds, but since handheld lasers are illegal almost everywhere, you might get into trouble using them as deterrents...

I never was able to chase off a mammal by pointing my 5mw green laser to the ground near them. They mostly just look at the dot, or even start chasing it. ;)