Interesting 123-cell observations

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...I went out and picked up a pair of rayovac 123-cells, and the initial voltage reading from the package was 3.25 volts for each cell...That's the highest I've measured. Duracell Ultra's were 3.13 volts, brand new, and E2's were 3.03 volts when new...Anyways, I put the Rayovac's in my M2, witn a P60 bulb, and after several 30 second on-off cycles, the voltage dropped to 3.14 volts per cell, still pretty good performance...I haven't done any load type testing with them, yet, though...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

interesting...I had posted about comparing the freshly-charged ultrastinger to the surefire 12pm containing duracells at 11.4 volts (for all 4) - and the ultrastinger was whiter and brighter. Last night I put 4 fresh 123s (3.2 volts each) in the SF12PM and compared them again. This time the PM was the whiter and brighter - then I measured the 12PM batteries again, after just 10 or 15 seconds or so of use, the duracells were down to the 2.9 volts area...didn't check this morning to see if they had recovered any further..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...checked 'em yesterday morning and the used Duracells were still in the 2.9 volt area, the fresh one's are all still 3.2V -- does any one disagree the Ultrastinger is brighter than the 12pm, except for the first minute, maybe? Do I have the right bulb, for the advertised 500 lumen output, in my 12PM? An N-62, all black, right?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 12PM has three possible Lamp Modules, the standard N62 500Lu/12min, MN60 225Lu/60min and MN61 350Lu/20min.
It has two possible Reflector Bezels, the standard 2.5" diameter TurboHead or the 3" diameter Extended Range TurboHead.

The 12PM weighs 10oz and is 9.25" long.

It has a variety of BeamFilters, and two Lanyard mounting points (TailCap and Bezel)

The UltraStinger weighs over 17oz (1.1lbs) and is 11.75" long.

The UltraStinger would have to be much brighter then the 12PM to justify the increase in size and weight and lack of options and accessories...

It'd be great to get some Beam comparisons.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info Al. So I was using the right bulb for 500 lumens...I must say the Ultrastinger isn't much bigger/heavier
than the 12PM, but makes up for that in a longer, (1 hour claimed) and much cheaper (rechargeable), run time. It is also brighter than my 12PM (with the 2 1/2 " head) after the 123 cells have been used for a minute...
I wish I could post pictures comparing the beams, maybe in a couple weeks...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I wonder how the M6 compares to the UltraS. ?

The M6 beam has a similar comparision to the 12PM. The 12PM starts off really well, but drops fast. Too much for the little 123As!

I hope that SureFire bring out the long awaited (by me atleast) M1000. A 3D rendering of the M1000 shows a body battery, similar charging mount to the 10X and Nitrolon Bezel with cooling fins. A single Reflector Model. I've been pestering Paul Kim at SureFire for ages but he's so busy...

Questions about the UltraS.

Can you fit a Lanyard?
Can you get and charge a spare battery when using the flashlight?
Is there a Rapid Charger available?
Do you think it'll ever come with Tail-switch?

Thanks

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, slightly off topic to the post, but to answer some of the Ultrastinger questions: no lanyard attachment, and the battery stays in the light when charging, but a rapid charger is available. As for the tail switch, call up Streamlight, and see if they can send a Stinger XT tail cap switch for the US.

I've been using my US for months, now, as a daily duty light, and have found some minor incongruitites with the light, but I'll post a seperate topic about that...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ted, are you saying that the Ultra Stinger is putting out as much light as the 12PM? I have the Ultra Stinger but don't have the 12PM. Isn't that the one with 4 batteries and is supposed to put out 500 lu?

The first time I fired up the Ultra Stinger, I was surprised to see how bright it is. The beam is usable at quite a distance too.

So far I am very happy with the light. In fact I am considering the purchase of a second one so one of them can be charging while I use the other.

I am torn between this and continued waiting for the 10x. But if the light out put is similar, then my wait might be over.

Henry

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Henry,
Yes and yes.
My just-off-charge UltraS was brighter, and whiter than my 12PM with it's (4) 123 cells at about 2.85 volts each (I measured them at 11.4 volts for all 4 in series)
The only way the 12PM beats the Ustinger is with fresh, unused batteries, and the UltrS off-charge for a day...use the 12PM for a minute, or less, and it loses it's edge over the UStinger...and as I mentioned earlier, the cell voltage in the 12PM dropped from 3.2 to 2.9 after about ten seconds of use...

Size15's

Flashaholic
From what I can gather, the 12PM and 12ZM were designed to be used for seconds rather then minutes as "Tactical Entry" lights and Force Options in situations where the smallest, most light-weight, excellent quality, most powerful illumination tool is required, and consider the uses for which is was designed, where running costs are not really a factor.

The 12PM eats batteries like a staving cookie monster eats cookies!

Using the best 132A batteries which up until the SF123A, where Duracell Ultra DL123As will give you that peak beam for longer.

The batteries from my 12PM and other high powered SureFires are 'sucked dry' and the obvious benefits and advantages of the MN11 225Lu beam in a SureFire M1xx WeaponLight on your handgun mean that SureFire provide illumination tools for situations where rechargeable versions are just too big, and too heavy.

My opinion, and I would love to test this, is that the M1xx with MN11 is the brightest flashlight per unit volume.
I would also like to find the brightest flashlight in terms of output compared to a host of factors including runtime, volume, weight and maybe a cost factor too.

Anyone who wants to pay me to do this is most welcome. I can start right now.

Al
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Ted. That means I don't have to try and find a way to buy an M4.