REAL WORLD REVIEWS – Jetbeam E10R

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
REAL WORLD REVIEWS – Jetbeam E10R

URL: http://jetbeamstore.com/catalog/product/jetbeam-e10r/
================================================================
A brief opening note about the "Real World Reviews"
At this point many fellow "flashaholics" have developed very sophisticated and detailed methods for measuring nearly every conceivable technical aspect of the illumination products on the market. The "Real World Reviews" acknowledge the existence of the detailed technical reviews (and I'll link to them below if I can) but will not re-hash all of that tech data. Instead the focus of the "Real World Reviews" is to take that "laboratory" information out into real world conditions to give the reader an idea of how the numbers translate into actual use.
===============================================================

Technical Review (done by someone else):
https://lightsngear.com/jetbeam-e10r-rechargeable-flashlight-review/

Candlepower Forums Review
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...eam-E01R-and-E10R-USB-Rechargeable-EDC-lights

===============================================================
Intended Use: Compact Every Day Carry (EDC)
Power Source: 1x AA battery (NiMH or Alkaline) or 14500 (recommended)
Average Cost: $33-35.00 (USD)

What you get:

· Nicely laid out Packaging
· The Jetbeam light
· Short Micro-USB cable
· Loop type lanyard
· Some documentation and warranty card

Initial Impression(s):
This light is a TANK, I don't know how else to put it. It is larger than most "keychain" stuff but on the small side for an EDC and it seems to be built for battle. The machining, seals, everything is all on the upper end of the quality scale and I find its construction conveys that very pleasing, if somewhat intangible, sense of durability. I purchased mine as a package with the rechargeable lithium-ion 3.7v 14500 battery.

The pocket clip is decent, but I don't like them so I knew it wouldn't stay on my light long. Removal was simple. Mine came to me pretty "dry" around the "O" rings so I thought it was a good idea to get some nyogel on it before testing. I also hadn't understood ahead of time that you actually have to unscrew-and-remove the head to access the USB recharging port. I don't really like taking the light apart like that, it seems to defeat the purpose of in-light USB charging to me.

The interface is a single side button with an instant on/click-to-change mode/1 second hold off configuration. Simple and straightforward.

The beam is a modest spot with strong side spill and (if you are close enough) a very minor "Jupiter ring halo" around the edge. It's a clean and pleasant output that is broad enough to be used close in, but has enough throw to be worth something at a moderate to far distance. The beam color on my sample is white biased towards the warm side. I find it very pleasant.

Output (Per manufacturer w/14500 battery):
Mode 1 (4 Lumens/100hr): suitable for night in-house use or close up map reading. A bit too bright for "bathroom runs".
Mode 2 (46 Lumens/09hr): suitable for "general" indoor/outdoor use.
Mode 3 (650 Lumens/30 min): um… wow!

================================================= =================================
The "Standard evening walk" begins with illuminating 5"x5" white plastic test targets affixed to trees in my back yard (see below) and then takes place over either a 1.5 or a 2.5 mile loop on an unlit and mostly open grassy area with a few trees, and then ends going through a short, steep, uphill/downhill gravel trail surrounded by trees and heavy undergrowth which I call the "confidence course".

Target Test
1) 20ft (6 yards / 6 meters):.............................. Illuminated in mode 2+
2) 50ft ( 16 yards / 15 meters):.......................... Illuminated in mode 3+
3) 100ft ( 33 yards / 30 meters):........................ Illuminated in mode 3+
4) 200ft Fence ( 66 yards / 61 meters):.............. Illuminated in mode 3+
5) 250ft ( 83 yards / 76 meters):........................ Illuminated in mode 3+
6) 350ft ( 116 yards / 106 meters):..................... Illuminated in mode 3+
Across The Park (approx 250 yards/228 meters): Illuminated (somewhat) in mode 3+
================================================ ===================================

The Walk (and other activities)
The night was pure dark (cloudy), windy and COLD (21F/-6C). As expected, Mode 1 (4 Lumens/100hr) was a little too low to have confidence walking but Mode 2 (46 Lumens/09hr) was good as the reflector produces a very efficient beam that works well for walking even in the "confidence course" areas.
When needed or desired, Mode 3 (650 Lumens/30 min) was impressive for any light and absolutely astounding coming out of something this small! The beam also has the ability to penetrate shrubbery and project well without going over into the harsh spotlight "follow the bouncing ball" effect which I dislike. This was a good light for the evening walk when it is on,
However
The switch is extremely hard to find at night and basically impossible with gloves on. I finally stuck a bit of Gorilla tape on the head in line with the switch so that I had some kind of witness mark to guide my fingers. I would never be able to pull this light out of my pocket and immediately activate it, never.
Other activities went very well including looking around an engine compartment, checking for critters under my back porch, looking down a heating duct, and other day to day activities of that nature but the lowest setting Mode 1 (4 Lumens/100hr) is useful for in house functions, but a little too bright for night-time bathroom runs (my wife woke and complained).

I'm also a little disappointed at the in-light recharging methodology. I had thought that you would unscrew the head some to reveal the USB port for charging and then screw it back down to protect the port. In fact you literally have to take the head all the way off (turning it into two pieces to keep track of) and revealing a lot of the innards during charging. It doesn't seem to be that big a problem, but it is not the way I would have designed it.

CONS:
· Button is hard to find by feel, it needs a "witness mark"
· It will "run" on an alkaline AA battery, but don't bother. Get a 14500 cell.
· I don't like that you have to expose the light innards to recharge in-light.
  • I agree with the other reviewer that it really could use one more level in between 45 and 650 lumens

PROS:
· Built like a tank.
· BRIGHT (with the 14500 cell)
· Easy/intuitive interface.
· Has the reach of a much larger light in a very small/light package.

Summary:
You could do a lot worse than to have this light as an EDC. I think it is very well designed for its intended function as a "general" EDC light. It's small enough that you wouldn't leave it behind, large enough to get a handle on and use without dropping it all the time. The beam is simply beautiful and the overall performance is good-to-excellent (if you have the 14500 cell installed). Put some kind of "witness mark" on it so you can find the switch by feel and you will be good to go.

Final conclusion:
STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find this little bit puzzling from the website..which is it?:

• Output / Runtime:

• 1x AA battery:
      • High: 190 lumens/1.1 hours
      • Medium: 46 lumens/9 hours
      • Low: 4 lumen/100 hours
    • 1x 14500 battery:
      • High: 650 lumens /0.5 hours
      • Medium: 46 lumens/9 hours
      • Low: 4 lumen/100 hours
  • High efficiency circuit board provides up to 35 hours runtime on lowest output level

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to get one of these when they first came out but a number of reviews showed the nimh only charged to 50%, OK if you are only going to use li-ion.

So i wonder if they fixed the problem, the test is discharge a NiMh AA battery in a analyzing charger then charge in the E10R till it full shows then do a capacity check in the analyzing charger.

John.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
I've had my eye on the Jetbeam E10R for a while given it has many features to make it an ideal travel light. For me, the USB-recharging and the flexibility to use a very common battery makes it ideal for travel. Flexibility in power source is key when you're away from home for a while or in a prolonged emergency situation. I also like Jetbeam given I own a Mini-1 and a Jet UV. Both are quality products despite their small size and affordability.

The thing that has kept me from buying the E10R is mainly the fact that I already have enough lights in this segment that include a Nitecore EA11, a Fenix E11, a Klarus Mi7 Ti, a Rofis TR10, a Rofis R1, and a Zanflare F3 on the way. While some of these are more powerful than an E10R, they either don't have USB ports or don't take common AA or AAA batteries. I also like that the E10R has its USB port in the threads. While this cancels out use while recharging (meanwhile the Rofis R1, with its magnetic cable, can) it makes the flashlight more durable and waterproof than a rubber USB flap.

Some other reservations I've had about the flashlight include the price and length, but both of those issues are nominal over similar lights. I've also browsed some other reviews on the flashlight and see that it has charge indicator lights and a lock-out function. I'm glad to hear it's built well. What's the LED tint like?

The E10R is currently on sale at Gearbest for under $20 but that's for just the flashlight. Given I don't need it but want it, I'll keep an eye out for a really good price on one.