D

**DONOTDELETE**

> Gordon Ellis
> Gordon's Easy Trails
> 515 Commonwealth #105
> Fullerton, CA 92832
> ph. 714.871.7456
--This is from a string at http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html
(click 'light gear talk' --see 'aaa lithium' string) The legend has it Mr. Ellis will supply these items 500 or more at a time, ..($2.50 or so each) Charles Meyer at backpackingforum is taking 'orders' -- I think he plans to order Monday, I'll tell him there may be more orders coming in soon...
Can this be happening? Or is it just a sub-urban legend? Mr. Ellis doesn't have a website, or a computer, I hear tell, and it's best to speak to him on the phone weekdays...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m not so sure Ted, I find it hard to beleive a man without a computer can find lithium AAA`s when our members (from around the world) have searched the web at such great lenght for them. I must consider that the gentleman is making a honest mistake or has been sent some info with a misprint on it (simply typing one to many A`s).

Also...

They might not be 1.5 volt...might be 3

If they are 1.7 volt (like the older AA lithiums) they might damage the step-up in the Arc, for example

They might be low quality and offer little or no improvement over alkiline

We don`t know what to expect from a lithium AAA...if they only run 1/2 hour longer in an Arc, for example, it would not justify $2.50 per batt...unless you live in the North Pole of course

I just don`t know, but I feel a red flag.

Hope this is wrong but...I would not want to send money without comfirmation from you or one of our other members whom I could trust. And I would hate to see this gentleman order 500 and get stuck with them if they are not what we expect.

I would suggest he orders a few samples to confirm and test for performance...maybe send some to our 3 reveiwers...If the company marketing them is straight they should have no problem with this...

The other possibility I see could be he`s found a manufacture that would make them for him on a limited scale...still he should ask for some samples and test before he orders 500...My 2 cent

Spidey82

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
The other possibility I see could be he`s found a manufacture that would make them for him on a limited scale...still he should ask for some samples and test before he orders 500...My 2 cent<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hummmm.............
could we get energizer to manufacture it for us????
do u think they will do it?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t know Spidey, a big company like that would probably not be interested in such a small order...maybe if they were thinking about it anyway and might figure "here`s a chance for us to test the market with others helping foot the bill"...they might...I have no doubt Energizer has already tested an AAA and for some reason decided not to proceed forward with marketing it at this time...maybe they felt the increase in performance is just to small and there would be little market...maybe they wanted to perfect the AA first...maybe the sales of AA`s were not all they hoped for and nixed the idea of AAA`s...maybe there are not enough electronic things made that would benfit from AAA lithiums to start production...maybe it would tie up machines that are running full time to make better selling sizes...who knows.

Maybe a smaller, hungrier company would be interested...but it might take quite an effort on our part to locate and contact one.

Good idea though.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...well, Charles at LWBPF posted today that he would be 'ordering tomorrow' -
and would get all the details, "voltage, company, weight, everything.." I passed on your advice re: to obtain samples first...so we'll see...
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

FYI, as promised; (from the Lightweightbackpackingforum)
"...
I did talk to Gordon of Gordonís Easy Trails on Monday night of this week. After finalizing a purchase of some gear from him, we again discussed the AAA Lithium Batteries.

First of all an apology to you all and to Gordon for my listing the price of the batteries. He is simply not sure what the price would be and was only guessing--it is not official at all. I should have not listed any prices because at this point he does not know what he will be charged. Again, my apologies.

Gordon is very aware of what a triple AAA Lithium battery is and why it is an advantage-- he is a dealer of gear and specializes in serving light weight backpackers. I have enjoyed ordering from him and recommend him.

On Monday he told me the following, that when he asked the representative they said that they have triple AAA Lithium Batteries. I asked if the representative made a mistake and thought that he meant AA Lithiums. Gordon said that he stressed that he was looking for AAA Lithium batteries and that there was no mistake in their communication.

Having said that, Gordon said to please stress to you all that it is only a possibility at this point. And, he is going to pursue it. Indeed, it might not pan out, but, again, the representative said that they do exist and so naturally his interest is just as keen as ours. He is going to pursue it but of course the company representative could be wrong. I do not know the name of the company.

So, another apology is in order to you all for getting the cart before the horse. It is just that I got really excited and carried away when their very existence was mentioned !!!

Some good did come out of all of this and that is that Gordon understood from me that IF he can get them (he will have to buy in bulk) and that IF they do everything that a Lithium battery is supposed to do there will be a substantial demand from the readers of this website. This would be in addition to his local customers in the Los Angeles area.

If I hear anything definite, I will post. Probably best now to adopt the healthy skeptics attitude and say that they do not exist.

Humbly and Contritely, Charles Meyer ..."
...so there's still hope..???
rolleyes.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for checking this out Ted. I gave Gordon a call myself today- nice gentleman. His rep misunderstood him, it wasn't Gordon's fault. On a side note, he might decide to carry our flashlights.

So, no lithium AAAs for now. Rumor has it that Energizer has some protos and is considering it. I will give them a call next.

Peter Gransee

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i suppose this should now be moved to the electronics, forum...

i could do it if only i were a moderator
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth, oh Roth, why do you have to dig sooo.... dEEp....

But I am still sure everyone is still interested though.

Status
Not open for further replies.