Pelican M6 LED colour

Lumiere

Newly Enlightened
I've had my M6 LED for about two weeks now and the more I use it the more I notice the greenish colour of the beam. Has anyone else had a green tinted LED, or am I especially lucky? My Inova X5 and other LED lights have very nice white / blue tint, if the PM6 had the same tint I would be very happy indeed.

I do like the PM6 LED, a great light for the money, please tell me about your tint. I may get another.

Lumiere

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only heard of white beams. I'd be interested in hearing from others since I have one on the way.

redtrd

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today. Nice bright white color. I have two Princeton Tec XLs and both have slightly different color beams (One is more yellow). From what members have been mentioning on this site, the Pelicans should be pretty consistent on color. Good luck with the next one.

nexro

Enlightened
Mine's really white too. Kind of the'cool' sort of white. I compared it side by side with my LSH-P which gives out a warm white light. Another CPF member told me that it might be due to the overdriving of the luxeon but I never did try the light with used batteries yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
lumiere: you'll find that a slightly green-tinted LED will appear white under most conditions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it would be possible that your battery is getting weak, as the tint of yellow/blue white LEDs tends to get yellow or green as they dim. try putting in new batteries to see if the green disappears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my M6 LEDs are white beamed. No hints of other colors. Additionally, the majority of owners on this site generally also report white M6 LED beams.

Its a bummer to hear that you got a greenish tinted one. Give Pelican a call. I don't know if they would exchange it for purely beam tint, but you could always try...

chumley

Enlightened
Lumiere, if you are comparing PM6 color after looking at bluish led beams, it might make a white beam appear yellow or green. I have an Arc LS2 that looks yellow compared to nichias, but it looked pure white when compared to a greenish SL 4AA 7led.

Of course you may have a green tinted beam, luxeons tints are still too variable.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
try comparing it to ambient sunlight instead of other LEDs to determine its colour tint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Tonight was a great night for looking at mt PM6 beam.It was very cold and dark with some fog like humidity in the air.The kind of night that makes the beam look like a large laser or light sabre.Anyway my PM6 LED is very white but appears to be kind of off white or grey.It is very bright and white but just a sort of odd white.Never noticed it until I used it in the fog/mist like conditions tonight.
It is a beautiful thrower however and has a great feel to it.It is just weird sometimes how my eyes play tricks on me.Sometimes a certain beam looks bright white then later if held beside another light the same beam looks yellow or dingy.I thought my ARC LS was nice and white for months until a side by side with an L4 made it look dull.
I guess each beam looks different when you have nothing to compare it to.

artar

Enlightened
when i compare my SF E2e with my Peli M6 LED, both with fresh batteries, the E2e beam looks really yellow and the M6 LED beam is pure white (with some blue).

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to pick a tint...mine is green. But it is so slight its very hard to say. Mostly looks pure white.

Ken

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Heres a trick I noticed last night that helps determining the tint in a more
objective fashion:

Put a partially run down battery in it and shine it through a piece of white paper. Look at the paper from the back. The tint will be exaggerated. I used this trick to determine which LEDs were whitest from a batch of emitters (seconds and pulls I bought. So far it's worked for me.

Oh... The run down battery helps prevent blinding yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the run down batteries would also make it slightly greener than if it had a new set of batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yup, Chamenos is partly correct. Some of my leds appear to stay white as the power drops. Mainly the Lux IIIs. Others do change tint.

I think the ones that get noticably greener also show a green tint when driven at full power. I don't have enough experience or large enough sample to say that with confidence.

Daniel

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it probably happens due to the phospher not having a linear output curve. i.e. when the blue LED is at dimmer levels it puts out too much yellow light, and when the blue LED is at brighter levels it doesn't put out enough yellow light.

my space needle II is blue-tinted with fresh batteries, but as the batteries become exhausted the LED takes on a more yellow/green tint, which actually makes it whiter since its blue-tinted. an arc LSH-P i had a while back which had a slight green tint, became very green-ish once it dropped out of regulation. you can also observe this phenomenon with the arc4 with its different light levels, but its less pronounced due to the pulse wave modulation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

apparently this isn't a problem with the UV + RGB phospher LEDs, but they're not as efficient and have a shorter life than the regular blue + yellow LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif