Headlamp with LEDs and incandescence bulb

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. This sounds like just the type of headlamp many have been wanting. Can you post a picture?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a headlamp that have 3 LEDs on the upper rim of the reflector and incandescence bulb in the center.

This headlamp runs on 3AAA and have a switch that one press lights up 1 LED, 2nd press for all 3 LEDs and 3rd press for the center incandescence.

The part intrigue me is what it prints on its package. It states that the product was US Patent Pend and HKSAR Patent Pend. I don't know what they have patented for. I think that will be an issue if they patented for the idea of having both LEDs and Incandescence bulb assemblied on a headlamp (or even flashlight). While everybody is talking about this combination and some on-line store even published Switchable from Princeton for sometimes, Princeton has never announced it officially, not to mention shipping it. I hope this is not the reason why Princeton postponed shipment date of Switchable for a few times. Even the information for postponed shipment is not from Princeton.

Just FYI, this is the same manufacturer who make the Clip Light. It seems to me that this is a Hong Kong based company but I couldn't locate who they are
confused.gif

Arrg... may be CCrane could help
smile.gif

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
Very interesting. This sounds like just the type of headlamp many have been wanting. Can you post a picture?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Ron, I don't have digital camera yet and is still waiting for the D1X
tongue.gif

Don't get excited too fast. While those LEDs are great - switching from 1 to 3 LEDs, the incandescence bulb is UGLY and VERY yellow (3v, 0.2A). I pop in rechargeables and a mini maglite bulb, it improves a lot. Of course, it is a lot brighter than mini maglit due to being overdriven. I don't care the life span of the bulb since it's so cheap and I use the incandescence only for just in case.

With rechargeables, it is still a lot brighter than Matrix. This single lite could both of replace Matrix and Mini Mag.

Did I say it's focusable (for incandescence)? If you do backpacking on solo and carry only one lite, this will be very good choice. It looks pretty sturdy to me. I dropped it to concrete (marble) floor from my desk on the first night I got it accidentally, it survived without any demage.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
ouch!!!
i can feel my pocket hurting
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, it is illusion only. It's not available in on-line store yet as far as I know.

FYI, I paid $18 in Hong Kong for this. If they're going to export it, I think they should have the incandescence replaced with a better one.

Alan

Spidey82

Enlightened
Hong Kong is only 3hr flight from singapore.
who knows, i might find it here

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just replaced the center incandescence with another LED. Surprisingly, the center LED was able to be focusable even it's not those from LEDCorp. It throws light much farther than a regular LED. Of course, its light quality is far from those LEDs from LEDCorp.

I just emailed LEDCorp to see if they provide their modified LED in its original bi-pin form (without the PR base). If they do, I think it becomes 1 LED (wide area) -> 3 LED (wide area) -> 1 LED (long range) by simply pressing a switch.

I am anxiously waiting for their reply.

Alan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I just emailed LEDCorp to see if they provide their modified LED in its original bi-pin form .
I am anxiously waiting for their reply.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't hear back (which probably won't be the case, but given how busy they are with various projects, is a possibility), let me know and I'll give him a jingle myself.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Alan, here is what you might try:

(I take no responsibility whatsoever, blah-blah-blah... etc.)

Take a regular Nichia LED of your favorite color. File off the top until there is about .6-.8mm left to the die. Then, file off the sides at an angle to create a new dome that is similar to the original, which will now be around the die (as opposed to being above the die initially). Then you might want to finish it with fine sand-paper.

10 Minutes of work and no fuss with asking, overpaying, shipping, etc.

My 2 cents...

I made one like a Ledcorp bulb once. Used a drill to hold the bottom lip of the LED. Spin it up fast and take very light cuts with a file. Ultra smooth sandpaper to finish it off.

Worked pretty good in a Brinkmann BlackMax (MiniMag knock-off) with 3 N cells. Not some of my best work tho...
wink.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want to made one by myself as I have so many LEDs lying around. However, my addictions in flashlight already killed too much of my time - reading the forum, shopping in the net, shopping in local store, checking with factories, reading all the spec and compare, shinning those flashlight all around, thinking which lights to carry when going out .... etc. All my projects (my work) are delayed badly. If it continues, having fun with flashlight will become my full time job permanently:-(

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Craig, thanks for your kind offer. If I didn't hear from them in a few days, I will seek for your help.

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Could you tell me where do you get in Hong Kong? I live in Hong Kong and would love to get one.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it from World (direct translation from Chinese) in Mong Kok, they sell backpacking and camping stuffs. Call them at 2396 9357 for direction if you don't know where they're.

They also have a branch at Hung Hom Railway Terminal but I'm not sure if the same light will be carried in Hung Hom branch or not.

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Alan, thanks for your information. I will buy one the next time I go to mongkok. BTW, I saw some photon micro light II clone in temple street that is only HK$18(~US$2.5, guys from the States
wink.gif
). It's the same as what they got in "world". I got a few and the quality seems to be pretty good. You may want to have a look if u don't already know.

TripleDouble

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the filing and fine sandpaper - I tried this out before, and because I didn't have super fine sandpaper, I decided to coat the tip with something to fill in the many tiny holes left on the surface. Oil works, but will eventually smear or burn off, so I tried some car wax, and that seems to be working for me.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chuen:
Alan, thanks for your information. I will buy one the next time I go to mongkok. BTW, I saw some photon micro light II clone in temple street that is only HK$18(~US$2.5, guys from the States
wink.gif
). It's the same as what they got in "world". I got a few and the quality seems to be pretty good. You may want to have a look if u don't already know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have MANY of them and disassemble them to get its LED only. I paid HK$15 for them. They are Nichia LED.

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
How do u know it's Nichia LED? Those LED looks inferior to those in my Matrix. Could they be seconds or something? How can I get it for $15?
BTW, I have bought the headlight. If anyone still want to see a picture, I may post one. Thanks for your information, Alan.
smile.gif

funk

Enlightened
I found the following source for the "knock off" Photon II:
Sang Min International Co Ltd
Tel: (886 4) 25270577
Fax: (886 4) 25270578
They are in Taiwan - I don't have an E-mail address - sorry

B8810105505.jpg

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the makers of the Photon have a patent then this knock off product is most likely in violation. Many a creative American inventor and budding businessman has had their dream destroyed by illegal knockoffs from southeast Asia. Please don't support these kinds of companies. It may cost us more, but guys like Gransee and others who invent these neat products deserve the business.

Note that I am not suggesting a boycott of products from SE Asia, just the illegal knockoffs.