Arc AAA's little brother

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Arc AAA\'s little brother

I have a few un-epoxied Arc AAA boards around (thanks to dpr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ), and a bunch of "pseudo-AAAA"s that were pried from a 9V battery (a half dead battery from my DMM). One day I was playing with the two and came out with this idea---why not make a small light that uses those cheap AAAAs (a $2 Energizer 9V battery has 6 of them inside!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif People have made AAAA tubes before so they can use an Arc AAA head with an AAAA battery. The run time is shorter, but it is still enough for most situations. So, the plan itself seemed feasible.

The AAAA's pulled from a 9V battery are a little different from "normal" batteries because they have negative nipple and positive bottom. So the circuit board was designed in such a way that the outer circle is positive and the central contact is positive.

The IC was taken from a stock Arc AAA board (I don't know which IC Peter uses, I wonder if he would tell us at some point like he did with LT1618 in the LS line). To make things fit in the 7mm circle of an AAAA-sized board, I have to bend the leads inward and turned the SOT-23-5 into a SOJ-5, then used a few 0603-sized diodes and capacitors. The stock inductor is too big, so I pulled a small 22uH inductor from a dead hard drive (about 2mm square). The end result is this:

Pill1.jpg

I used a 3mm Nichia instead of 5mm, because I like the broader and smoother beam pattern of the 3mm. I suppose I could get a brighter hotspot had I used a 5mm.

Let's put it side-by-side with a stock Arc AAA board:

size1.jpg

size2.jpg

If we put battery sizes into the picture, we can see a light using AAAA batteries can be made much smaller than a stock Arc AAA.

batteries.jpg

I don't have the machining capacity, so I just used a piece of plastic tubing and a plastic cap to hold things together.

ArcAAA-AAAA2.jpg

The beam shot with stock Arc AAA:

ArcAAA-AAAA1.jpg

The AAAA light is a little dimmer here for three reasons---one, the battery itself is half dead already (remember it was from my DMM which already gave the low battery sign); two, I used a 3mm Nichia which has a broader beam; three, there was no reflector.

<font color="brown">I wonder if one of our lache/CNC gurus can make me a few shrinked down version of Arc AAA that will properly host the "Arc AAA's little brother".</font> It will be an interesting thing on the key chain---something you really won't notice until you turn it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc AAA\'s little brother

nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

i bet it can accept the AAAA from rechargeable 9V battery also? mine rated at 120 mAH, wonder the runtime :???:

interested in more development /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

Probably not---all the rechargables I know has a positive nipple and negative bottom. But of course I can make you one with the outer circle being negative.

paulr

Flashaholic

Niiice!!! What are you using for a switch? The usual AAAA based Arc is just a tiny bit shorter than the regular Arc AAA, since the AAAA battery is almost as long as the AAA.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

I prefer to stick with the same switching mechanism as an Arc AAA. Twist-on is still the most space-saving design. The whole light can be made to less than 9mm OD by 55mm long including the key hole part---by comparison, the Arc AAA is 13mm by 72mm.

stockwiz

Enlightened

that is sweet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif N cells work nice too. Gotta tell peter to start cranking out some arc N lights. I like the plastic tubing idea too as I don't have those tools either.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

The problem with N-cell light is that the battery is harder to find (department stores--yes, corner stores--probably no)and not cheap. Also the light becomes too short to be operated with one hand confortably. Of course there is an up side for an N-cell light---the capacity (1000mAh@25mA) is higher than AAAA's from a 9V battery (625mAh@25mA). So you can have a couple more hours run time from each cell.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the AAAA idea over the N cell. N cells cost $1.50 to $2.00 each, 9V batteries would be about the same price. There is also something cool about peeling apart a 9V to feed your flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

The thinner tube I understand, but how do you make the AAAA light almost 20mm shorter than the AAA light, when the AAAA cell is only a few mm shorter? Where's the extra length in the AAA going?

Of course if you're really trying to make a small light, you can't beat a coin cell...

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

The AAAA from a 9V battery is 4mm shorter than an AAA. The Arc AAA board is 15mm high from the top of the LED to the bottom of the board. The "Little Brother" is 9mm. There is also a 3-4mm recessment above the LED in an Arc AAA. The tail end also got some extra space that can be trimmed down. All these add together will make the AAAA "Little Brother" a much smaller light.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

No, that's not there yet---The link above is for AAAA bodies that still use the stock Arc AAA head (which is 13mm O.D.) What I hope to get is a "mini-version of Arc AAA" that is no more than 9mm all along.

stockwiz

Enlightened

I'd buy an all metal version that is the same size all the way across just for the novelty of it. I completely forgot that AAAA cells are in 9 volt batteries... and I suppose I could rip them out of a nimh 9 volt and stick them in the charger too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

jacknimble

Newly Enlightened

Hmmm... I tpre apart a cheapo 9v and all I got was a lump off... well it wasn't 6 aaaa. Do you know they cost $6 for a pair of aaaa? geez... Are these the 9V batteries you typically put in a cheap FM/AM radio?

paulr

Flashaholic

9v NiMH batteries and cheap (non alkaline) 9v batteries usually have flat cells stacked inside. 9v alkaline batteries that I've taken apart have six AAAA's standing up, but I've heard that some brands have flat cells as well.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

The Energizer and Duracell 9V alkaline batteries both have 6 AAAA inside. Those cheaper "heavy duty" stuff are more likely to have 6 useless squares inside.

Still no one came forward to make me the casings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif That little naked board is catching cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

dont spose you could make me one of these circuits? as long as were talking like $15 here...

neg

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

$15 is certainly a reasonable price for a mass-production product, but for a hand-built board that's too low. However if you have access to a lache and can make me a couple of AAAA-sized bodies, I would be more than willing to make you a tiny light in exchange.