which one

francescawinter212

Newly Enlightened
I work in the medical and law enforcement fields...any of the colors have a benefit for my career fields? This would be an EDC and backup work light.

Available colors:

White/red
White/blue
White/amber
White/yellow green
White/IR

Any info and help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

parametrek

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums.

None of those seem particularly useful. The best combination would be high CRI white (for making accurate diagnostics) and 365nm UV (for checking IDs and stuff). Unfortunately I don't know of any flashlights with that pairing.

Keitho

Enlightened
+1 on high CRI. Also might consider good low modes in the UI--a good low mode (sub 1 lumen) is just about as good as red for preserving night vision.

x8353

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forums.

None of those seem particularly useful. The best combination would be high CRI white (for making accurate diagnostics) and 365nm UV (for checking IDs and stuff). Unfortunately I don't know of any flashlights with that pairing.

Okay - so my frustration at not finding a usable high-CRI + 365nm is not just me? I haven't been missing something?

I'd like something for the pocket and a bigger one for more punch (as in illumination throw, not physical assault).

And CRI matters not just for diagnostics, but for being able to make an accurate description at a distance.

I'm not a cop (at least not since 1972), but I do like the illuminated view to resemble the real world.

x8353

Newly Enlightened
Recommendation:

As a learning tool, not a long term solution, get hold of a "Lighting EVER 5W Multicolor UV Tactical Flashlight USB" (under $20 online, as I write this).

It's got "cool white," plus "yellow" (aka warm white, tungsten), UV (unspecified, but does better on my kludgy 365nm test than, eg, my Streamlight Night Com), red, blue, green. Selector ring, ala candidates from Nitecore; 18650 Li-ion battery, USB charged through the butt (so if you haven't been down the Li-ion path, you don't have to buy a charger right away).

A bunch of downsides (durability, size, zoom) for long term daily use, but after you've spent some exploratory time with it, you should have a much better idea what you want (or can put up with to get what you want). Then you can keep it for backup or give it to a young person to stimulate STEM interest. :}

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Well, the closest I've stumbled across is the Astrolux K1. Nichia 219C as the main high cri illumination, a red led as side illumination, together with a 365nm uv led instead of 395nm uv. All in 1 package in a keychain size form factor. The price is cheap somemore at less than $20. The best edc thus far.

https://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-K1-Nichia-219C365nm-UVRed-LED-300LM-New-Driver-USB-Stainless-Steel-Mini-LED-Keychain-p-1239906.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-alsolike

But if you're into medical light, then better look for specific one as the one above is more for edc purpose.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
On parametrek's recommendation I can suggest the Nitecore P20UV...but only for the bonus UV emitters, NOT the high CRI white emitter and only just....as the lowest output is still 80 lumens which is a bit high I think for medical work.