Field Use Review of the Rofis R2 and R3

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Introduction
Late last year, I reviewed the Rofis R1; a 16340-powered rotating head flashlight. Since then, Rofis has expanded their R series line-up and added the R2 and R3 which are 14500 and 18650 powered flashlights, respectively. Rofis has since provided me with an R2 and R3 for testing and review, offering the R2 in the "Cool White – 6500K" tint and the R3 in the "Neutral White – 5000K" tint. Given the two flashlights are from the same series and were provided together, I am reviewing them together to compare their features but to also contrast their differences. Also, for the sake of series comparison in sizing, I am including the Rofis R1 in some of the comparison photos. My earlier review of the Rofis R1 can be found here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?442203-Field-Use-Review-of-the-Rofis-R1

Procurement Notice: I was provided with the Rofis R2 and R3 by Rofis in agreement to post a review with no other conditions.

BoWsA6e.jpg

dK7o8av.jpg

What's in the Box

The Rofis R2 and R3 come equipped with everything needed to operate the flashlight out of the box. This includes a Rofis-branded Li-ion battery, proprietary magnetic USB charging cable, headband, wrist strap, two spare O-rings, an owner's manual, and a warranty card. The R2 is supplied with a Li-ion 14500 battery and the R3 is supplied with a Li-ion 18650 battery.

mUJIstJ.jpg

wUPeOHS.jpg

The Design
The Rofis R2 and R3 share a similar design, following that of the R1 yet there are small differences found in each model. The 14500-powered R2 is a AA-sized flashlight and features a rather large tail cap. In fact, the tail cap houses some of the battery given the body barrel itself does not fully house the battery. The R3 by contrast has a more traditional and smaller tail cap. It also features a glow-in-the-dark ring around the reflector which neither the R1 or R2 feature. Otherwise, the R2 and R3 are similar with rotating heads, stainless steel bezels, magnetic charging ports, magnetic tail caps, dual-position clips, and share a revised button that features an indicator light. It should be noted that this button is more similar to the Rofis MR70 in design than the R1 which featured a different button despite similar functionality. All R series models feature a flat tail cap for tail stand capability as well as a magnetic tail, allowing for mounting to ferrous surfaces. All models also come with a headband, which with their rotating heads, can quickly serve as headlamps.

ays5fKP.jpg

I2NSewo.jpg

FiOhU3m.jpg

The photo below shows the difference in the button between the R1 and the R2.

7RysspH.jpg

Output Specs and Other Technical Info

Both the R2 and R3 utilize a CREE XM-L2 U3 emitter, available in either model as a "Cool White – 6500K" or "Neutral White – 5000K". My R2 was provided in CW-6500K and the R3 in NW-5000K.

R2 Output Specs per the manufacturer on a 14500 Li-ion battery:
Moon mode: 0.5 lumens for 125 hours.
Low mode: 5 lumens for 43 hours.
Medium mode: 90 lumens for 253 minutes.
High mode: 300 lumens for 98 minutes.
Turbo mode: 700 lumens for 3 minutes before timed step-down to 330 lumens for 67 minutes.
Strobe mode: 600 lumens for 83 minutes.
SOS mode: 600 lumens for 90 minutes.
It should be noted that the R2 can be operated on an Alkaline AA, Lithium AA, as well as a Ni-MH AA rechargeable battery. The use of these different batteries will alter the output performance and run times from the specs above. All testing in this review was conducted with the provided Rofis Li-ion battery for each flashlight.
The Rofis R2 has a candela rating of 3600cd and maximum beam distance of 120 meters. Impact resistance is 1.5 meters and has a waterproof rating of IPX8.
Dimensions for the R2 are 3.84 inches in length when upright and 3.44 inches when angled. Width is 0.87 inches. Weight is 67 grams without the battery.

The following are photos of the R2 in each mode.

Control (no use of light):
GrEEQxg.jpg

Moon:
ptJAqm3.jpg

Low:
NEZ4nDp.jpg

Medium:
ojj4ps5.jpg

High:
t9uqbct.jpg

Turbo:
RWj9HLr.jpg

R3 Output Specs per the manufacturer on an 18650 Li-ion battery:
Moon mode: 0.25 lumens for 63 days.
Low mode: 20 lumens for 83 hours.
Medium mode: 230 lumens for 10.5 hours.
High mode: 560 lumens for 205 minutes.
Turbo mode: 1250 lumens for 1 minute before timed step-down to 560 lumens for 199 minutes.
Strobe mode: 900 lumens for 6.5 hours.
SOS mode: 900 lumens for 5.5 hours.
The Rofis R3 has a candela rating of 9410cd and maximum beam distance of 194 meters. Impact resistance is 1 meter and has a waterproof rating of IPX8.
Dimensions for the R3 are 4.8 inches in length when upright and 4.25 inches when angled. Width is 0.96 inches. Weight is 70.9 grams without the battery.

The following are photos of the R3 in each mode.

Control (no use of light):
oYKl6sS.jpg

Moon:
dGQ0AeD.jpg

Low:
mbIgGhz.jpg

Medium:
ldJRVqm.jpg

High:
m1ZAFsv.jpg

Turbo:
43gRqOA.jpg

User Interface
The Rofis R2 and R3 share the same UI, operating the flashlight through a single button. A single press will turn on the flashlight at the last used mode. Once on, press and hold to cycle through the three output modes of Low, Medium, and High in that sequence. A double press from either on or off will directly access the Turbo mode. A triple press from either on or off will access Strobe. The SOS mode is accessed by pressing and holding from the Strobe mode. The R2 and R3 also both have a moonlight mode which is directly accessed from off by pressing and holding the button for 2 seconds.

Features
As stated earlier, the R2 and R3 share a number of similar features but also differ in numerous ways. I will first discuss the shared features.

They both share the rotating head which allows the flashlight to rotate from an upright orientation to 90 degrees and hold any position in between. The resistance in the rotation is rather firm at first but gets easier with more usage or "breaking-in" by rotating it a number of times in sequence. It should be noted that the head is very secure and accidental rotation is unlikely. The head can also be rotated underwater.

The R2 and R3 also feature magnets on their tail caps which allow for mounting on ferrous surfaces. The magnet is strong enough to securely attach the Rofis flashlight vertically or upside down as needed. In combination with the rotating head, the magnetic tails make the R2 and R3 excellent work spotlights such as under a vehicle's hood.

jdJutfU.jpg

The R2 and R3 both have an indicator light on the button which illuminates or flashes to indicate various things. When charging, the indicator will glow red (charging) or green (fully charged) to indicate charging status. When the flashlight is circuited with a battery, the indicator will display a color to display the battery's charge level. If the battery charge is over 40%, the indicator will illuminate green for 2 seconds. If the battery charge is below 40%, the indicator will illuminate red for 2 seconds.
Both flashlights also have the indicator flash rapidly in red when the battery level is low and recharging is necessary.

sqpZ9XE.jpg

The R2 and R3 also feature an electronic lock-out function accessed by holding down the button from off for approximately 4 seconds. The flashlight will enter moonlight mode before bypassing it and entering lock-out mode. The lock-out is indicated by the main emitter flashing twice before turning off. While the flashlight is in lock-out mode, the indicator will briefly illuminate in red when the button is pressed to remind the user that it is in lock-out mode. The lock-out mode is disabled by pressing and holding for approximately 4 seconds.

The R2 and R3 also both have a magnetic charging port by which the flashlight is charged with a proprietary USB cable. The cables are the same across the R series therefore the R1, R2, and R3 can all share the same charging cable. The charging rates vary depending on the battery type and charge status. The R2 with the 14500 battery recharged at .55A in my testing with over 40% battery charge while the R3 with the 18650 battery recharged at .85A with over 40% battery charge during my testing.

The magnetic charging cable offers some unique capabilities such as flashlight usage while charging. Both the R2 and R3 can be turned on in their Low modes while recharging. The Rofis magnetic charging system also appears not only impervious but actually functional where most other USB charging ports are most vulnerable; underwater. Unlike covered MicroUSB ports with water ingress vulnerabilities, the Rofis magnetic ports are sealed, allowing the flashlight to recharge even underwater. While it is unrealistic that one would need to recharge a flashlight underwater, the function proves that the charging system of the R series strives where many others are most vulnerable.
In the photo, the R2 and R3 are recharging under water in a bowl.

qCJJB8M.jpg

Differences between the R2 and R3:

The differences are relatively minor but still noticeable in the features between the R2 and the R3. The R3 features a glow-in-the-dark ring behind the bezel that the R2 and R1 do not feature. On the other hand, the R2 has a longer tail cap that cups the battery which is different from the R1 and R3's rather small conventional tail caps. The R3 also features a 0.25 lumen Moonlight mode which is the lowest of any flashlight I've ever encountered. In contrast, the R2 has a 0.5 lumen Moonlight mode which is considerably brighter in the darkness. Again, the outputs can vary depending on the battery type used.

The R3 is pictured below.

ymeAY3i.jpg

YmK99wh.jpg

Tint Variation
Given the R2 and R3 I was provided differed in tint, I was able to compare and contrast the tints in the same environments. Aside from the R2 and R3 being different models with different lumen outputs, the difference in tint was noticeable between the "Cool White – 6500K" tint and the "Neutral White – 5000K" tint. The comparison made me affirm my strong preference for the cooler tint though it should be noted that the Rofis R series "Cool White – 6500K" is not nearly as cold as the cool tint in many other flashlights. I would characterize the "CW-6500K" as somewhere between the cool white of my Klarus Mi7 Ti/Jetbeam E10R/Nitecore EA11 and the Neutral White of the R3. In essence, it's not exactly that cold white tint you see in many other flashlights.

Despite the clearly visible contrast in tint seen by the eye, nearly all of my photographs failed to show the difference in an outdoor nighttime setting. This was made especially difficult in a comparison given the different power output levels between the R2 and R3. However, I was able to take the following photograph of a paved road to demonstrate the difference in tint.

The R2's cool tint is on the left and the R3's neutral tint is on the right.

ztBJMtK.jpg

Outdoor Usage
Both the R2 and the R3 offered excellent outdoor functionality with their similar features. That being said, the differences between the two were most evident in nighttime usage outdoors.

The R2 features a smaller hotspot but a significantly wider spill area which made peripheral illumination better than the R3. As a headlamp, the beam characteristics were appreciated as the focal point was well illuminated but so were things in the spill area, such as items in one's hands while focusing on a trail ahead. The R2 is also small and lightweight thus wearing it as a headlamp was rather comfortable. I put the R2 to headlamp use during a nighttime installation of a motion sensor security light and the R2 proved useful, being able to rotate up and down in the headstrap holder as well as the angled head itself.
However, from my experience with the R2 as a headlamp, I noted that the small size of the flashlight made headlamp usage with the clip attached rather cumbersome. The clip made installing, rotating, and holding the R2 on the silicone mount rather difficult. I also came to question the oddly large tail cap of the R2 which proved to be detrimental when used as a headlamp because it would often loosen when I gripped the R2 to rotate it, thus cutting out the power. This made handling the R2 rather clumsy as a headlamp despite its good beam performance. From my experience, I found that removing the clip prior to headlamp usage made the R2 easier to handle.

In the photo below, the R2's headlamp beam illuminates the R3 in hand.

dXMJb7d.jpg

The R3 has a denser and wider hotspot compared to the R2 but has a significantly narrower spill area which the photos clearly show. This made the total usable light area narrower than the smaller R2. That being stated, the R3 proved to be significantly better in range illumination, casting its wider hotspot noticeably further than the R2. While the R3 has among the widest hotspots and shortest range in distance illumination among my 18650 flashlights, it was clearly the superior flashlight to the R2 in downrange illumination. As a headlamp, the R3 was easier to handle given the larger size with more clearance to grip and rotate the head as well as access to the button. The R3's headband features an additional top strap not found in the R1 and R2 headbands and this provides more support for the heavier R3. However, I found the R2 to be the better headlamp in use given the lighter weight, smaller profile, and wider light spill; all of which made using as a headlamp a better experience.

Long Range Control photo:
OkOb4Zx.jpg

R2 Long Range on Turbo:
QwGgqyr.jpg

R3 Long Range on Turbo:
IfnCvhr.jpg

Short Range Control photo:
iaSLkVF.jpg

R2 Short Range on Turbo:
htYguZF.jpg

R3 Short Range on Turbo:
u2KSgIl.jpg

The following is a photo of the R2's Turbo on the ground to demonstrate light spill.
4ABen5O.jpg

The following is a photo of the R3's Turbo on the ground to demonstrate light spill.
XYzN35q.jpg

During my testing, I encountered a toad. Both the R2 and the R3 were used to illuminate the toad.

R2 on toad:
G3b7HOC.jpg

R3 on toad:
LFgMYth.jpg

The R3 also had some artifacts in the spill area with noticeable rings. These artifacts are not found with the R1 and R2 in their beam profiles therefore may be the product of the R3's different reflector which features a glow-in-the-dark ring.

YbEWcoD.jpg

In hand, the R3's larger size made it more comfortable to carry and it provided its more powerful beam further down the trail. However, the R3 seemed to generate considerably more heat when in Turbo mode. This may explain why the R3 has a timed step-down at just one minute from Turbo to High mode. In contrast, the R2 maintained it Turbo mode for longer and the step-down is at 3 minutes after which it bumps down to slightly above High mode. During my testing, the R2's head didn't heat up significantly in Turbo mode in contrast to the R3.

In terms of the tint in outdoor usage, it mainly comes down to preference. Some like it warm, some like it cool. While the tint difference was noticeable between the two, the advantages of either were hard to determine given the different models and their outputs. It simply wasn't an equal comparison. That being said, the difference in tint from Rofis is not a huge difference that will change the performance of the flashlight drastically for most people therefore caters more to preference than performance. Nevertheless, I believe many will be pleased that any of the R series models can be had in either the CW-6500K tint or the NW-5000K tint. I personally preferred the cooler tint with the R series but it's really a matter of personal taste as stated before.

The Rofis R series do not come with holsters given they come packaged with more useful headbands. However, I personally like to carry and store flashlights in holsters so I sought out holsters for the R2 and R3. I was able to find Jetbeam branded holsters on batteryjunction.com for a few dollars each that perfectly fit the R2 and R3 as if made for them respectively.

zV0FbQL.jpg

During my testing, I was able to charge up the Rofis R2 and R3 with power banks, making travel and outdoor usage optimal. As stated earlier, the Rofis flashlights can be utilized in Low mode even when recharging thus eliminating downtime when light is needed.

jzjgeMB.jpg

During my testing under the hood of a vehicle, both the R2 and R3 reliably held to the underside of a vehicle's hood, providing light where it was needed on the engine. Combined with the rotating head, the R series truly provides unrivaled versatility and range of use as an illumination tool.

FIcqBkb.jpg

KFBUEh9.jpg

Criticisms

While both the Rofis R2 and R3 performed without failure during their testing duration of approximately two months, there were some shortcomings I noted with each model.

The Rofis R2 has an elongated tail cap as I've mentioned before and to this day, it baffles me why Rofis chose this design over a smaller tail cap like on the R1 and R3. The longer tail cap makes loading the battery more difficult, makes the R2 harder to handle as a headlamp without accidentally loosening the tail cap, and worst of all, has a design that is prone to pinching the O-ring. In fact, I have to carefully and slowly screw on the tail cap to prevent it from pinching and displacing the O-ring on the body. Lubricating the O-ring did not alleviate the issue. The O-ring issue is a concern in outdoor or duty usage where one may need to replace a battery in the dark and then count on the flashlight to be waterproof immediately after. Simply put, the elongated tail cap is a design flaw in my opinion that Rofis should replace with a smaller tail cap design as found in the R1 and R3.
The R2 is also rather small therefore the clip can get in the way of headstrap mounting. While it will still fit with the clip on, it's much easier to mount, use, rotate, and remove the R2 from the headstrap mount with the clip removed. On the contrary, the R3's larger size and larger clip doesn't present the same issues.

The Rofis R3 is easier to handle given the larger size and straightforward design, yet has its own flaws. For one, the head heats up considerably more than the R1 and R2 when used at high output like in Turbo Mode. The reflector also creates a narrower field of light with artifacts at the edge of the spill. While this doesn't bother me personally, I know some users are distracted by this.
The R3 also isn't much of a thrower and other slim body 18650 flashlights I own have a tighter hot spot that throws the light further. However, considering that the Rofis R3 is a multipurpose flashlight with a rotating head suitable for headlamp usage, this may be a good thing for the R3. The wider beam allows it to serve better as a headlamp. That being stated, I still think the R2 and R1 are the better models for headlamp usage.

Conclusion
Overall, the R2 and R3 proved as worthy additions to the R series, following the phenomenal design of the R1 which debuted first. The R2 and R3 are essentially different battery options for the R1, giving people the option of choosing the best flashlight for their uses without compromising on the features and their functionality. Owning and using all three R series models, here are my impressions of them individually:

R1: Maybe I fell in love too hard with this first model but even after testing the newer R2 and R3, I still think the vanguard R1 is the best one. The small size makes it ideal for EDC while the 16340 battery packs more punch than the R2 in terms of lumens and run times. Of the three, the R1 has mid-level performance while being the smallest and lightest of the three. As a headlamp, it's lighter and easier to handle than the R2. For me, it's the favorite of the three.

R2: This is the traveler's choice. The R2 can run on the most ubiquitous battery in the world; the alkaline AA, yet can crank up to 700 lumens with the included Rofis 14500 Li-ion. It's also compatible with rechargeable Ni-MH batteries and will also recharge them with its onboard magnetic charging system. Thus, this flashlight is the most versatile with a power source yet small and light, making it travel-friendly. It's the choice for someone who wants maximum battery versatility in a multi-functional flashlight for travel or a survival/emergency kit.

R3: The big boy comes away as the one intended for duty use or serious adventure. Running on an 18650, this is the obvious choice for the brightest output and longest run times. The R3 has an output ranging from a quarter-lumen to 1250 lumens. I imagine this is the multi-functional, angle-head flashlight that would most appeal to mechanics, search & rescue staff, police, and others who need a flashlight as a tool of the trade. For adventurers, it's the one that will last the longest with run times yet work as a headlamp for close-up work, freeing the hands. While the different tint in the R3 (NW-5000K) did make it a bit more difficult to compare to the R1 and R2 directly (both of which are CW-6500K), the R3 comes away as the model for heavy duty use without sacrificing much on the versatility and features the smaller R1 and R2 offer.

In conclusion, the R2 and R3 continue the momentum of the tour de force R1 by offering a line-up in the series. These are the best multi-functional flashlights I've ever seen and despite their unique features, they don't sacrifice durability or quality. Whether hanging upside down under a car hood, strapped on the head, or held in the hand, the R series flashlights are some of the most useful flashlights one can get their hands on. Only now, you have more models and tints to choose from.

7oT8VWB.jpg

i89lye6w6h

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

First post to the forum after just joining - greetings from Scotland.

Super review, thank you very much, I have ordered an R3 based on your (and other) positive opinions on this unit.

You mention in your posting that one of the Jetbeam holsters fits the R3 perfectly, do you know the model number/item name for the correct holster at all please?

I did have a look at the Jetbeam holsters online to try and work out the correct one, however several of the sizes seem like they might fit. As I am ordering from the US (I can't find these in the UK) I want to be sure I'm getting the right thing due to shipping cost/time.

Thanks.

earthman

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought the R2 version, using an holster to EDC it, I went with the R2 model due to it's power options, yes I'll mainly be using the 14500 battery but it's really nice to know that an AA will also power it if I get caught out.

What makes all 3 of these lights winners in my opinion is the magnetic tail, adjustable head and reversible pocket clip,.......if only all the other flashlight brands made their lights containing these three features.:eek:

LOTL

Newly Enlightened
I bought the R3 earlier last year and after a 2 or 3 months of use the 1st one failed to take a charge. Contacted the seller and he agreed to sending me a 2nd one. 2nd one lasted about the same length of time before it stopped turning on. If i removed the tailcap and screwed it back on, it would turn on again.
Poor engineering or poor quality control. Take your pick. The fit, finish and design of the light is awesome but for the money i paid, i expect years of service before having these kinds of issues.
Back on the hunt for another rotating head EDC light. Seems its pretty slim pickings for lights like this.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
An R2 was gifted to me. It's a nice little flashlight.

I noticed the tailcap swallowing 1/3 of the battery and appreciated how much real estate it saved in pocket carry.

I'll probably use medium 99% of the time with it. It's nice to know it can run off aa's if need be. Seems it will be a great light for illuminating the engine bay.

Probably become a light that lives in my big boy toy tool chest....magnetized to the side.

Last edited:

Tootall72

Newly Enlightened
I like how the R3 sounds on paper. However, I want a more floody flashlight.Do you have any suggestions if I wanted to make the R3 more floody?