H.O. China lite Vs. US custom low Output, Keychain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitebrite

Enlightened
This is probably a stupid question but please do not mock me. I am choosing a new EDC/Pocket worn. Since I have killed my original Titan. Of course SF will fix it but want something nicer.

So assuming I do not really need more than 200LM. I carry UDR Dominator on my belt. I can get like Photon, Prometheus, Sinner, Maratac ETC all under 200LM. Or I can get a EagleTac or Olight that(claims) it is 500-900LM in the same size package on a CR123 instead of 1xAAA like the former ones. 150-ishLM is not low output anyways?

I just figured you old schoolers like me are over cheap lumens and would go for quality. I have the UDR on me plus I have an E2D. I am just a rancher not EMS/LEO. I would say I have it covered and should enjoy the custom light instead of Chinese stuff? I mean Fenix is okay but still not the likes of what I mentioned above. I am just figuring since I have the whole gamut, quality over quantity. Unless those Chinese lights are in fact good? I am not kidding. Never had one. Anyways, if I got a custom I figured I would get Copper. Thanks

Put a 10440 in the ones I like and they are not exactly low lumen lights. About the same as the ones from China on CR123. Of course risk blowing Nichia 219 or driver probably not though. I think I made my choice.

Last edited:

Mr. LED

Enlightened
You carry a Dominator on your belt. I envy you.

I would suggest a Zebralight for your EDC, it's tough and reliable, have a great customizable interface and can do a lot of lumens if needed.

If money is no issue, I suggest a McGizmo or HDS.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I actually really need that flashlight but I get what you say, thank you. It will light up 12 football fields.

Well McGizmo I would love but I am not sure where I could get a new one if any even exist? The Zebra is fine though. I appreciate that you told me what to get. The lights I mentioned are all $60++ and "maybe" overpriced.

Also, I am not going to risk a 10440 after all(if it is aaa) That is a gamble with nearly 100 bucks. 150-180Lm is enough. Just if I have to adjust saddle or use Walkie.

Darn! Clickie is no go. The McGizmo is super nice though. I need a twist. The McGizmo is also hard to get as I figured. I think out of what I mentioned that I can actually get the Prometheus? I am guessing it is better than the Chinese stuff though but have no idea. The Maratac might also be okay. It has okay output in a small package. Still would be afraid to 10440 it. At least it is a 219. Not sure. If I could get new McGizmo I would in a second. HDS are all to big.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
McGizmo has a subforum here and has a variety of lights available. His keychain style light is called the Sapphire and is still for sale, in I believe two emitters. It is a low output single mode twisty if that suits your needs. Excellent light if it does.

The Prometheus Beta QR is a nice multimode twisty light, but is essentially a Lumintop Worm, so it is not limited run, USA made, if that is your definition of custom. I don't know how custom you want or what your budget is.

Peak makes very well built keychain lights, in a multitude of options and outputs and a variety of metals.

Mushondt offers some of the finest keychain lights, in AAA and CR2 format, such as the various iterations of the Aeon, Ion, and Mako.

Just a few options. It was hard to tell from your post what you were looking for exactly.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I will get the McGizmo or Mushondt . probably the Mushondt as I can order from his webpage securely. It looks real nice. Probably get Mokume. Prometheus. I had no idea those were not 100% USA made. That is misleading! I do not care to make an investment in quality equipment. I liked the HDS Rotary but it is too big and I want solid metal. So I guess this is taken care of. Thanks guy's!

Vemice

Enlightened
Another vote for the Sapphire. Love this lil' guy. Got the High CRI model. Enough light for round the house.
Had it in a few days after I sent funds to Don.
hMe6mNLh.jpg

ie1a5HLh.jpg

nitebrite

Enlightened
Oh man Bla2000, I just about dropped $1,250 on one! Thank you! I like the Sapphire and I personally would call it inexpensive. Not to be a jerk though I know it is a lot to some others. I just wish to do business through an actual storefront. Oh well. By custom I just mean hand made in USA. Not limited. Maratac swears theirs are hand made in USA. Is this true? They are very cheap too(to me). Plus put out 170+Lm. On 10440 will output 450Lm but I do not have great luck so forget that. Well maybe I will get over security. I know you can trust McGizmo. I assume even the Maratac is better than like Olight or Eagletac? I mean that does not output 900Lm on a CR123 I doubt plus if it does it is too bright. Looking for like 120-180Lm. Not sure 3mm led is bright enough for me. It might be though. Innova for instance is barely okay. That is a well machined light and the electronics are tidy. This is leaning me towards Maratac unless not made in USA. To be fair I mean assembled in the USA. It is likely converters are not USA made always. Which is okay by me.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
If you want a true bespoke, one-off custom, in your chosen size and format, in your metal of choice, hand spun by a single man, and $1k or more is in your budget, you should absolutely contact Fred Pilon/Photon Fanatic. His one-offs are among the most spectacular examples of flashlight machining available.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I know of Photon Fanatic. That is certainly an option I suppose. It mainly depends on how long but I will email him.

Yes, Frodo. Where though? Certainly not china? Japan,Germany etc. fine with me.

nbp

Flashaholic
You know Muyshondt is not made in USA, right?

Do you have facts to support this assertion or is it speculation? I have never seen any definitive information regarding where Enrique's lights are built. I have however owned a number of them over the years and found them to be of very high build quality.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I have one of his with 2xRCR123A or his power plant. Too big for pocket in saddle though. I just like a light in my pocket in case I lose everything else in an emergency situation. Or check Walkie codes etc. Although my kind of big knife on clip sort of defeats the purpose of tiny light but whatever. it sits flat in pocket so not a pain. I carry Glock 45 on side and AR15 on back. Safety is not a joke here these are serious tools. Not at all people. Not any folks up here. bears, Elk etc will kick my butt right in. Anyways all that being said for no apparent reason I find it hard to believe his light is made in China if that is what people are insinuating. Like I said, if like Japan, Germany, France whatever that is fine. How are they not equal to the US? I know some patriotic may disagree but as far as building things established countries sometimes can even do better work than we can. I do not really care where it is made as long is it is a fully established country. Heck, I do not even care if it is made in Dubai. USA was not my point but is certainly a bonus. I just meant no Chinese or whatever $25 light. That is not what I am looking for. However I do believe Maratac is completely or at least 85% made in USA in California. How could they lie like that? They couldn't. Those things are like $40-$70 and I hear very good quality. Anyways, think I am going with Photon. Thanks for reminding me. I will get Mokume so should be very nice. I am not going to discuss prices but of course "investment" grade tool. I actually pulled out a 1xaaa and compared to 2xRCR123A I carry now and that will be a relief for sure. there is small and then tiny. a 1xAAA is teeny. Of course I am not going to take a light of that value and put a 4.2V battery. Some would but I might get good stuff but I never waste. I guess I will go with a 219 for the color rendering. I do not need more than 200Lm out of this. Right now I carry the new Defender on clip and with strike bezel is a big pain. literally. This is going to be like 1/20th the size or so and not poking me. Thanks Guy's.

OH, just saw :) Yes indeed use large Sebenza or small if you have to. Bonus points for custom graphic or decorated! That in fact is what is lurking in the pocket lol. Like I said though on a clip it is not like a 2xRCR123A light sitting in your pocket. Yes, they have a clip too but just too much stuff in my pocket,okay! Not to derail my own thread but I hate "Idaho made" now. Preferred the old ones. The real reason for S35VN is not kill the makers belts! Happy with my old one. New one is fine though.

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
Just why no cheap China. Went into Menards this morning. Housebrand lights= guardsman. one said 3000Lm on 3x123 $49 lol. Tried Dominator on shelf next to it. Game over.

Anyways I am going with Photon. I bet his 1xaaa is brighter than Menards 2x123.

nbp

Flashaholic
What is Photon? Photon Fanatic? If so, the light will depend on what you ask him to make you. He doesn't have a standard light, really.

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
Yes, Photon Fanatic. I am asking him to make me a 1xaaa in Mokume with 4 way twisty hi,med,lo,off. 219 neutral emitter set to enough forward voltage to get 230Lm+ on Lithium primary. with swirl of swarwaski colored crystals going around it. Wanting a lighter Mokume. This is a custom light no doubt. This is not cheap. These things matter to me. I have other custom lights but nothing that tiny. I imagine it should be about 2.3x.25-.3". Dwarfs a single 123. Maybe can't really see the Mokume that small but I should be very happy. You know I am in WI too up by Stevens point. Very rural area. Lights=Safety before kill an animal very sad to me. Plus Bear mace. Hopefully not that close encounter. Man, enjoy your Sebenza. It is #1. Kind of like Surefire for production.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know Muyshondt is not made in USA, right?

I agree.
Nowhere have I ever seen Muyshondt claim his lights are Made in USA.

that does not mean they are not well made
and it does not mean they are not made exclusively to his design specifications

here is a similar thread, about another USA Company, that does not claim their lights are Made in USA.

Apple is also a USA company that has products made to their specifications, overseas. They dont claim to be Made in USA either.

By contrast HDS site says
"built in the USA"
and I have no doubt that is true.

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened
Just why no cheap China. Went into Menards this morning. Housebrand lights= guardsman. one said 3000Lm on 3x123 $49 lol. Tried Dominator on shelf next to it. Game over.

Anyways I am going with Photon. I bet his 1xaaa is brighter than Menards 2x123.

FWIW nitebrite, you've made your choice, and I respect that, but I think you may be a little unfair to some Chinese manufacturers. There are some fantastic brands manufactured in China, like Nitecore, Olight, Fenix, Jetbeam, to mention a few. I am a huge fan of Fenix myself and have several of their products. The one time when I had a problem with one of their products, it was rectified very fast. Just my 2c worth....

nitebrite

Enlightened
I know. Fenix is very good IMO. You cannot compare this to a $1,300 keychain light. Besides my being nuts obviously it is better quality. If the Chinese ones like Fenix and Olight are not very good already. I just wanted my grail to be a keychain. Also do not be fooled by Chinese Lumens though. Often claim is 500 and reality is 150 or so. 25,0000 lumen from Olight is funny. No way I doubt.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Well, Photon Fanatac cannot build what I wish. His AAA lights are around 15 Lumens. Maybe he could push 40. I decided to revisit my Sf Titan plus and it is good enough quality. You wil not find higher legit output on a AAA. It is reading 427Lm and does not step down. I still like the Titan !a with the adjustment ring but not enough output. These are still typical SF quality which may or may not be better than China but very good. Nothing lacking. I found no custom maker I know of has or will build exactly what I want. So I guess this will have to do for now. Quite frankly the quality approaches many customs getting away from China. No insult to China though. I own plenty of Chinese goods. It is not like I am boycotting them or anything. Just proud of made in USA jobs. Another issue is these 500-1,000Lm tiny lights... well you know the story. As usual SF is more than it says, not less. Stil only needed like 180Lm but it shall suffice I gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.