Nitecore P12 2015 edition

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, new member here looking for some advice.

i own a nitecore p12, a rarely used one at that. i think since ive gotten it in 2016, its been used a combined total of... 5 hours, give or take.

last night , after approximately a year in storage, i took it out and tried to use it again.

However, only the lowest light setting works.
when i change to either of the other 3 modes, the led doesnt light up at all.

What could be the issue with this?
battery? - i have yet to try with brand new batteries. could a weak battery cause low light to be usable but not for the other 3 modes?

led unit - seems to be okay since it works on low mode

lubrication? - i have never lubricated it, as every time i use it, it is still pretty well lubricated.

any help is much appreciated

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, new member here looking for some advice.

i own a nitecore p12, a rarely used one at that. i think since ive gotten it in 2016, its been used a combined total of... 5 hours, give or take.

last night , after approximately a year in storage, i took it out and tried to use it again.

However, only the lowest light setting works.
when i change to either of the other 3 modes, the led doesnt light up at all.

What could be the issue with this?
battery? - i have yet to try with brand new batteries. could a weak battery cause low light to be usable but not for the other 3 modes?

led unit - seems to be okay since it works on low mode

lubrication? - i have never lubricated it, as every time i use it, it is still pretty well lubricated.

any help is much appreciated

Pull the batteries for a bit then try it
New batteries
Make sure everything is threaded on all the way

If nothing still.. driver is most likely gone. Happened to my 2015 EA41 from them. It turns on just barely and I can cycle the modes but nothing changes.

Good luck getting it warrantied.. they do have a 5 year warranty, but ive just gotten the run around and gave up after a few back and forths and no replies or good email addresses to the vendor I got it from(who is a nitecore dealer)... so know that you will just have to keep pushing to get it fixed.

The thing is i really liked the light when it was working ~1yr of very very light use.

ven

Flashaholic
Have you checked battery voltage, a good bit of time has passed between uses. Quite possible the cell is low, that would be my 1st port of call. After that as said, new battery(even if its not that, you have a spare for future use.nothing lost).
Not sure where you are, so will guess USA, nitecore now have a USA side base to contact and send to. So you should be looked after if the driver has failed.
:welcome:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is nitecore a bad company? I'm going through nitecore support now for my ec11 that stopped working too, hopefully they just send me a new one.

ven

Flashaholic
Trouble is, it's hard to define unless you actually need some work doing(repairs etc). That is usually when you find out how good a company can be and how they stand by their products.

I have dealt with fenix(very good and happy with resolve), Klarus(never buy from them again), Nitecore was a little painful sending to China , but was resolved , happy with them. Olight recently have been excellent, acebeam have been responsive and good(sending out a part and charger). Zebralight I am yet to report on....

Nitecore as a brand are liked and disliked, for me they are very innovative and push boundaries. Some lights seem well made, others poorly. Issues with parasitic drain and mostly cold white LEDs have pretty much made them none existent in my collection. So from a personal perspective, would not say bad, but also not excellent either.(personal opinion).

I think you you will be fine and get sorted, just won't be a fast resolve.

Depending on uses(investment for years, life dependent,EDC etc) Malkoff, HDS are worth the extra investment. I see Vinhs lights in your sig, of course a great option. Stand up customer service as well, can't go wrong :)