Mag upgrade

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a garage-sale 3D Mag (s/n starts with D). Looking for a fun, budget conversion... Not really looking any particular direction and although barn-burners are fun they are also a dime a dozen with the new LEDs we have the past few years. I might just grab a lower end led pr-bulb and throw it in the tool box... but I'd love to hear some suggestions for something more fun!

I guess what I'm thinking is to grab a couple of lower cost PR drop ins and play around to see which I like best... Haven't seen too many options other than Nite Ize (which costs more than it should) and the 30lm and 40lm Dorcy options. Figure I'll grab the set of dorcy bulbs to check out. Does anybody make something low cost and very durable? Maybe something like the old SMJLED drop ins that were such a hit for a short time years ago?

PS - No, I'm not buying a Malkoff (though its tempting).

Last edited:

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
It's not very ideal but I like to use my spare mag charger battery in one of mine, just for some extra volts with a halogen pr bulb. Not amazing but brighter than stock.

Otherwise my nite ize 55? lumen 2-6 cell pr dropin performs very well, focuses very well, and is economical. I use one in another 3 cell mag, running 6 alkaline AAs in 2aa to D adapters so it's lightweight.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but just my $.02. What's the s/n?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not very ideal but I like to use my spare mag charger battery in one of mine, just for some extra volts with a halogen pr bulb. Not amazing but brighter than stock.

Otherwise my nite ize 55? lumen 2-6 cell pr dropin performs very well, focuses very well, and is economical. I use one in another 3 cell mag, running 6 alkaline AAs in 2aa to D adapters so it's lightweight.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but just my $.02. What's the s/n?

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't want to get away from cheap alkalines for this light but I might grab some AA adapters just for fun.

Any thoughts on a RED led drop in?? I've never seen one, but never looked either!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not much out there these days. But the NiteIze PR is hard to beat if all you want is better runtime without a big increase of output.

One thing that can make a noticable improvement is a $6 lens from flashlightlens dot com. His ultraclear plastic can be had in a hardcoat, a super clear or slightly difussed to clean up the beam. Many use his glass too.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know they did UCL plastic now! I was going to avoid going with glass to keep it as a toolbox/truck light and/or something I can hand to my 4 year old. I'll have to check it out!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have tried each kind of lens by Chris and you can see a difference versus the oem Mag lens.

I put glass in my Malkoff'd 3D just because, but my classics like old Kel Lites and Bianchi's got his plastic stuff. Kinda thick compared to oem but definitely lets more light out front.