Two Arc 4+5 questions (maybe 4 ?'s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Two Arc 4+5 questions (maybe 4 ?\'s)

I hope I didn't miss the answers elsewhere.
Will the Arc 5 work with 1 123? At reduced output of course.
I asked this question before but will extend it a bit. Could you use a twisty on an Arc 4/5? Set level you want with switch and then quickly change to twisty? My understanding is that the settings will be retained if the electrical contact is only lost for a little while. And then the switch in the head could be activated with twist action. This would give a light you could set and then have a smaller package to carry. one more question--Could you do the twist quickly on/off/on to access other functions? Is there a picture with an Arc LS w/twisty, Arc LS w/switch and Arc4 (maybe inbetween?).
Thanks in Advance!

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
Re: Two Arc 4+5 questions (maybe 4 ?\'s)

There is no twisty for the Arc4. Given the set-up of the light, I cannot imagine Arc ever making one for it. There are too many features that a simple on/off twisty would prevent access to.

Personally, I'm with you in liking a smaller light. However, the Arc4 is still pretty small. Smaller than your cell phone and your wallet. It's not as small as a LS w/twisty, but it's small enough to carry with you all the time without trouble. It's versatility makes up for the extra size, IMO.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

[ QUOTE ]
Empedocles said:
There is no twisty for the Arc4. I know, but someone might make one if it would work, even a little Given the set-up of the light, I cannot imagine Arc ever making one for it. There are too many features that a simple on/off twisty would prevent access to.

Personally, I'm with you in liking a smaller light. However, the Arc4 is still pretty small. Smaller than your cell phone and your wallet. It's not as small as a LS w/twisty, but it's small enough to carry with you all the time without trouble. It's versatility makes up for the extra size, IMO. I'd agree, just checking options

[/ QUOTE ]
forgive the bold in 'your quote'.
anybody know about the Arc 5 on 1 cell?
I know a lot of functionality would be lost w/ a twisty but as an option would it work?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

a twisty would only give you momentary...
although i guess in this case, it'd be the exact same action as the twisty ls pak, since momentary would only be active when the pak is screwed in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

the arc5 will run on one cell, but may not make full power(?) and the runtime won't be as long as with 2 cells.

Miciobigio

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
a twisty would only give you momentary...
...CUT...

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't think so ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think that a "quick twist+untwist" will be equal to a click of the actual Arc4 button.

A "twist" will be equal to a "button press".

But if you "untwist" too much and wait 120sec. a reset will happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif.

This is because the switch is in the head of the Arc4, if you untwist too much, the battery will be disconnected and the head of the Arc4 will think : "My Lord ,he has removed the battery ....help .... 120 , 119 , 118 , 117 ,116......."

IMHO the twisty on the Arc4 is not a good idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

you're right, i forgot that the ground path was the lip, rather than the threads.

but if you either had a small twisty knob in the back, or some sort of twisty adapter, it would work.

it would be the same thing as holding the button down on the arc4. when you push the button, the battery goes forward and keeps pressure on the switch, so as soon as you let go, it turns of.
since it's a twisty, it would keep the battery pressed against, thus keeping it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

georget98

Enlightened

The battery is always touching the rear contact of the switch, this powers the micro-controller even when the light is off. Pressing the button pushes the battery forward and closes the switch.

According to Arc, the likely failure for the switch leaves it stuck on. The light has a "fail safe" mode where if power is applied with the switch already closed (and most likely broken) the light comes on (I think I read somewhere in secondary brightness).

So if you made a twisty with a strong foam washer at the rear end, twisting it on would close the switch before the battery makes contact at the tail and the light would go on after its bootup process.

You can see the failsafe function by loosening the battery so the light won't go on then retightening it. As soon as you do that, hold down the button until the light comes on. You'll find the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery again.

Status
Not open for further replies.