Looking for a Multiple Output Head to Fit Surefire E Series Lights.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I have accepted the fact that my perfect flashlight simply does not exist, and I determined I will need to do some "lego-ing" on my own.

What I want in the end is a bomb-proof light with a clicky tail cap and 2 brightness level, with the high mode coming on first. I want it to have an easily replaceable tail cap and pocket clip as these are the parts I break the most. High brightness should be no less than 200 lumens and low output should be no more than 15 lumens.

For starters, I have a body from a Surefire E2D Defender Ultra, and I have a Surefire EDCL2-T that I can take the body from (I have a clicky from an old EB1 that fits).

What I am looking for is a head that will fit either of these bodies and will handle 2 cr123 batteries. I looked at Malkoff, but have no idea what I am looking at.

If anyone has an extra head that will work for me, or can provide links with where I can buy one, please let me know! Brand doesn't matter as long as it fits my criteria, is super tough, and is slim for pocket carry. Warranty is nice also if purchased from a company.

Thanks!

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff VME head fits E series head side and accepts P60 drop in also Malkoff, M60. You can use E2C adapter and put a real C series head on it with almost any P60 drop in.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't an MD2 Malkoff with the High/Low ring and drop in of your choice do exactly what you want?

Hello everyone!

I have accepted the fact that my perfect flashlight simply does not exist, and I determined I will need to do some "lego-ing" on my own.

What I want in the end is a bomb-proof light with a clicky tail cap and 2 brightness level, with the high mode coming on first. I want it to have an easily replaceable tail cap and pocket clip as these are the parts I break the most. High brightness should be no less than 200 lumens and low output should be no more than 15 lumens.

For starters, I have a body from a Surefire E2D Defender Ultra, and I have a Surefire EDCL2-T that I can take the body from (I have a clicky from an old EB1 that fits).

What I am looking for is a head that will fit either of these bodies and will handle 2 cr123 batteries. I looked at Malkoff, but have no idea what I am looking at.

If anyone has an extra head that will work for me, or can provide links with where I can buy one, please let me know! Brand doesn't matter as long as it fits my criteria, is super tough, and is slim for pocket carry. Warranty is nice also if purchased from a company.

Thanks!

Nephron44

Enlightened
Malkoff VME head fits E series head side and accepts P60 drop in also Malkoff, M60. You can use E2C adapter and put a real C series head on it with almost any P60 drop in.

I like that head, but I can't find a decent LED module with high/low that runs on two primary cr123 batteries to fit it :/

Nephron44

Enlightened
Won't an MD2 Malkoff with the High/Low ring and drop in of your choice do exactly what you want?

I'm not sure, I have never had a light that wasn't ready out of the box, so I have no idea what will work and what will not. That's why I asked all you experts :) I'm still learning, haha

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure, I have never had a light that wasn't ready out of the box, so I have no idea what will work and what will not. That's why I asked all you experts :) I'm still learning, haha

Well you can get an MD2 ready to go right out of the box.
Whats great to me about the H/L Ring is just how simple and reliable they are.
There is a Clicky in back and then if the head is turned loose you have low and tighten the head and it goes high,thats it!
The Ring merely introduces a resistor into the circuit to drop voltage for Low,not too much to break or think about and you always know the level you will get before clicking the button.
Malkoff drop-ins are also the most rugged out there and sold in different output level options and tint.

Buy once.Cry once as they say.

You can also call and talk with Gene Malkoff or his Wife or Son at any time and see what they suggest,they usually answer the phone!

Nephron44

Enlightened
Well you can get an MD2 ready to go right out of the box.
Whats great to me about the H/L Ring is just how simple and reliable they are.
There is a Clicky in back and then if the head is turned loose you have low and tighten the head and it goes high,thats it!
The Ring merely introduces a resistor into the circuit to drop voltage for Low,not too much to break or think about and you always know the level you will get before clicking the button.
Malkoff drop-ins are also the most rugged out there and sold in different output level options and tint.

Buy once.Cry once as they say.

You can also call and talk with Gene Malkoff or his Wife or Son at any time and see what they suggest,they usually answer the phone!

I looked at the MD2. While I really like it, isn't it a little on the large side? I have the impression that it's about the same size as a Surefire 6P or G2. If so, I tried to edc a 6P and the head was just too wide to be comfortable. It worked well in my tac pants, but not my jeans while in plain clothes or off duty.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
You went from E series to C...
If you want top notch look for Oveready E heads and if you want custom, ask Tana
4c38b1ea6159ee598ebfdefd30edb525.jpg
661aadfb5f70bf39b3fded2a665a89c5.jpg

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights you have are E series compatible (E1, E2, EDCLx-T, E2D, E2L...etc) and lights you're talking about with fellow avservice are much bigger. Double the size of your flashlights and similar to C series (C2, C3, 6P, 9P....). Also Surefire

Nephron44

Enlightened
Lights you have are E series compatible (E1, E2, EDCLx-T, E2D, E2L...etc) and lights you're talking about with fellow avservice are much bigger. Double the size of your flashlights and similar to C series (C2, C3, 6P, 9P....). Also Surefire

Ah, yes, now I get it.

I originally asked for E compatable parts, and AVService suggested the MD2. I like the MD2, but it is larger than the E series and would be uncomfortable in my pocket. Sorry for the confusion.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, yes, now I get it.

I originally asked for E compatable parts, and AVService suggested the MD2. I like the MD2, but it is larger than the E series and would be uncomfortable in my pocket. Sorry for the confusion.
I didn't realize you were looking for the trimmer stature of an E series and the MD2 is such a great light I suggested them.
I don't know of an E series light with a H/L head like the MD2 though and that design is just so simple and rugged it is really my favorite if you want a light that you don't have a lot to think about while in operation.

Most other lights require you to think about timing and number of clicks or twists back and forth or depth of button pressure to get to a certain mode but the High/Low twist selection seems like the easiest to me really.

I do have an Elzetta that is E sized I think but with a H/L tail instead of head and it works just like the MD2 really.

But overall there are many details to learn and to decide which is really just right for you,have you posted a thread asking about your whole list of wants in one place?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I just did what your aiming for. I have a vme head with a Malkoff M361 3 output head on a E2d body. I'm literally playing with it as we speak

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pic that might help get some perspective.

On the left is an E series sized Body and Head.

In the middle is an E sized Body with a C sized Head.

On the right is an MD2 with both C sized.

Sadly the MD2 is the only 2 speed Malkoff I think and the E series Malkoff drop-ins are all single or 3 speed and all a lot more bright than you say you want.

Basically if you want to run 2-cr123 to a drop-in it needs to be a 6-9 volt drop-in and they are listed that way on the Malkoff site.

The only Malkoff combo like what you want in an E-Series light is the MDC-2aa light which I have and though I do love the light,I find the mode switching to be a little tricky and I never seem to really get the hang of it honestly.
YMMV obviously or Hopefully maybe?

735c5c90733aef17183d229ecacfb049.jpg

0b86c8ae27fdfc49126fd6a839475ab0.jpg

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
It sounds like you need an E2D. That is exactly what an E2D was built for.

The only problem is the sharp crenellations. The last one I had chewed up my pocket and I had issues while trying to fly with it, hence my reason for getting rid of the head. I thought about filing them down, but then the warranty is voided.

If I remember correctly, Surefire used to have a defender model with less aggressive crenellations, but I haven't seen one in a while, much less at a reasonable price.

Nephron44

Enlightened

I didn't have time to call, but I sent Malkoff an email. We'll see what advice I get!