[Short Review] Olight Seeker 2 Pro - 21700, 3 x XPL, Silicone grip, 3,200 lumens

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
after more than 5 months of hiding in the void (Warrior X Desert Tan notwithstanding), Olight has finally come out to play again... they are announcing a few new models for the NRA shows, and this review will be focusing on the Seeker 2 Pro, a 21700 battery powered household/outdoor/vehicle flashlight that inherit some design elements they've done with the Olight X9R. (psst, the other 2 are hunting and weapon light...)

jjarZuE.jpg

The specifications:
J2QaKYD.png

What's in the box:
371EpIB.jpg

honestly, I would rather they gives us a higher quality holster than the L-Dock. The L-Dock has a set condition for installation, you must make sure the distant of the L-Dock magnetic top is less than 1.2 meter from the nearest USB power source (minimum 1A) because that's the length of the MCC 1A cable. Of course, you could always use a longer (5 meter?) USB extender cable.

The 2 main differentiating factors...
fHNWVTs.jpg

... 3 x XPL (HD?) LED, my sample is less than 6000K CCT and projects a nice pure white beam.

pZEutM8.jpg

... and the 21700-size battery, the first 21700 size flashlight from Olight.
of course, it's a proprietary dual-polarity design from Olight...
fDwUWm2.jpg

the actual measurement is larger than 21700, I measured diameter of 21.2mm and a length of 75.2mm, so it's essentially a 21750-size battery. Your normal size 21700 may not work in this Seeker 2 Pro due to the length and it needs to have button top (nipple-top to be precise) to make contact.

take a look at the top of the battery here...
h1hDqjn.jpg

this is a design from S1R Baton II ORB-16C05-10C battery... officially, this design elements is there to prevent potential shorts... but I think it serves more purpose than that... you need to go back to Olight to get your spare 21700 battery and you cannot charge this proprietary battery in normal cradle charger, none of my Xtar and NiteCore chargers can fit the battery in the cradle... and that brings us to a very sticky point for me about this Seeker 2 Pro, it takes ~5.5 hours to fully charge the battery from empty, 5.5 hours!!! Come-on Olight, you have had 3A rapid charger with R50 Pro LE Docking station, and most of the USB world already moved on to above 2A charging, and yet, in 2019, this is the charging speed we get from Olight engineering team?

Let's take a few more look at the Seeker 2 Pro...
pUXvwNf.jpg

fx0QOgO.jpg

03Lj7Ov.jpg

Bonklvv.jpg

sm7Ha0x.jpg

xmX8Cot.jpg

finger-milled grooves, made from some kind of silicone material. pretty grippy.

WxUzMd9.jpg

Indicator lights, the left is for brightness, and the right is for battery status. the Moon and Low mode share the same brightness indicator. useful for initial checking of battery status, and after that, useless unless you change mode or switch OFF and ON again. No other way to activate the indicator except initial Turn-On or switch mode. Due to this, a marketing gimmick at best, unless they gives us a way reactivate the indicator lights.

Below are size comparisons to other lights:
2E5fMUJ.jpg

7KUOgJt.jpg

size is very comfortable to hold, especially with the silicone grooves.

and here we have the UI Diagram:
0m4gj2v.jpg

It's the trial and tested, familiar Olight side switch UI.

following is my measured output:
apq4y8o.png

The usual disclaimer: I do not claim the above measured lumens as authoritative nor an indication of over/under-stating the number given by manufacturer. It's calibrated against some known light output (e.g. SureFire, Elzetta, etc.) so take it with a grain of salt and just as a relative reading.

Next comes the runtime:
BJZ455p.png

Pretty good runtime considering most of the runtime spent in the 1,300-ish lumens. That 5000mAh does shines in Seeker 2 Pro.

Zoomming in to the first few minutes:
z5eBcHk.png

and you can see it doesn't get the full 2 minutes in 3,200-ish lumens as claimed, but ~1.5 minutes.
Also, repeatedly double-clicking to go to Turbo after step-down will land you between 2,500 to 3,000-ish lumens and not the 3,400-ish lumens we get when the battery is freshly charged...

Hk1uckz.jpg

... and speaking of fully charged battery, the included MCC 1A (pictured above) charging cable is not able to fully charge the included battery to 4.20V but ~4.11-4.15V depending on your multi-meter calibrations. However, using S1R Baton II MCC (the slimmed down Magnetic Charging Cable), I get a light that is fully charged. This testing has been carried out multiple cycles and every time is the same results. So, the MCC cable are NOT the same despite Olight saying otherwise.

SpgPKQn.jpg

The good thing about not fully charging the battery is the battery should (in theory) last longer, unlike Olight's R50 Seeker Pro LE where the initial release of the charging Dock overcharges (actually it trickle charge) the battery as long as you leave the light at the charging Dock (the non-LE version of MCC cable doesn't do this) and break the protection at the battery and renders the cell to read 0V. So if you want to squeeze the last drop of juice you can get, use the S1R Baton II Slimmed MCC charger, else, use the Seeker 2 Pro included MCC 1A cable.

In conclusion
This is a good household and Bag-carry flashlight, I especially like the long runtime in the thousand-ish lumens and pure white tint. Now, is this a flashlight that's worth getting? Well... let's just say that you should watch out for the latest promotion from your favourite Olight retailer and locked in the promotion price if you really need a new toy from Olight. :grin2:

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
I like this. Similar to my Acebeam T36 except it has onboard 2A USB-C charging capabilities.

The customised 21700 that powers the T36 also appears to be of a similar size as the 21700 for this Olight. Doesn't fit my XTAR and Nitecore chargers at all. I blame the protection circuits...

matt4350

Enlightened
This thing needs the Warrior X switch (and obviously faster charging😊). I love the idea of Olight bringing out a 21700 and shall look forward to their next model, hopefully something geared towards patrol/tactical use.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Pity it doesn't come with the metal rear tail switch as that would finish it off nicely.

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Rookiedaddy. I agree with your comments. The battery can be a problem, fortunately I have at home an Acebeam 21700 5100 mAh battery that works well with the Seeker 2 PRO. I was also able to recharge the original battery with the Nitecore UMS4 charger with the help of a small magnet at the positive pole (I attach photo). The price remains high but discounted can be a good buy.
0brpJ2kl_o.jpg

Last edited:

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Pretty fair review. I got mine today (ordered on sale last Friday) and I love it so far!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. This light would be a really great light if not crippled by the proprietary battery and poor charger. They came close with this one, the size of this light and features are great. They made one other mistake, since the current battery system favors the frequent user, security guard, LEO, etc., the light should have a UI that works with the tail switch for at least some modes. I'm not too worried about the lack of a tail switch, but it would have improved the light, and I think critical for a large potential user-base. The charger dock mechanism though is another sign that LEO operation was not really considered. This light could have been way more popular, I just don't understand how they figure a proprietary battery is the way to go... they have the engineering capability top make this work with standard cells, but they just seem to want to spend more money making it work with proprietary cells. The consumer is the loser here.

tim4i

Newly Enlightened
I got my Seeker Pro 2 on Wednesday last week...charged it up and have been playing around with it the last few days. Awesome.
-Moonlight is a bit a lot brighter than I would like...but yeah its a hand held so that is fine.

Had a mate over today who I was showing the new tech too...embarrassing... the torch stopped working while I was cycling through the light settings. I thought i had accidentally put it in lockout mode but after reading the instructions 3x times and watching the videos online to make sure I was doing it right. I can safely say that something is defective. I believe it is the battery. But I don't have a spare to confirm my suspicions.

I have 3x Olights - the other 2 are 2+ years old and this is the 1st Olight I have ever had a problem with.

I got a whole 4x days of testing with the Seeker Pro before it stopped working. I removed the battery to have a look if the contacts were dodgy....that burnt electrolyte smell exists....eeek.
I have a sent an email to Olight (so glad I bought it from the local Australian Dealer and not overseas). Will see what they say.
-I will post the results when I get somewhere.

I'm really hoping this is a one-off and not a common problem, Olight is one of my favorite brands atm. I really like their switch interface.
Oh well guess I'm waiting my Prometheus Foursevens Quark Mk3 now....don't let me down Jason.

tim4i

Newly Enlightened
Olight support contacted me (within 12 hours which is great) with the solution to my Seeker 2 Pro not working.

Loosen and tighten the tailcap...all the way <== sounds obvious eh... the rubber grommet is a really tight fit. So the last 1/4 turn requires a decent twist to make the full contact.
If you don't have a full 100% contact you will get a torch that simply does not turn on.

Good to know support has already received this feedback and know of the fix.
Well done Olight.

PS - the Tan Seekers 2 Pro's are still available on the Aussie site if you missed out....or if you don't need another....<grins>.
https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-seeker-2-pro-3200-lumen-rechargeable-led-torch-desert-tan/