Solarforce getting out of P60 market?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
In another thread, someone mentioned that Solarforce's website looks pretty empty so I went to take a look and they really do seem to be clearing out stock, at least for the L2 variants. Does anyone know if Solarforce is getting out of the P60 market?

--flatline

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it was me that made the observation you are referencing. I've largely been away from CPF for at least 4 or 5 years, which is why i've been sensitive to changes like this. its kind of like your children, you dont notice how they grow up but relatives that see them once or twice a year do.

i've been shocked how little attention some manufacturers (including old standbys) seem to get nowadays, at least from CPF members. this includes companies and people that used to get tons of attention. some have formally announced they aren't participating anymore, some have drastically scaled back. i've been looking for a p60 host in particular and so many of the former standbys are barely participating at this point. but the same observations could be made in the custom marketplace and others

i dont know anything about Solarforce but am curious about them and others...

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may well have been your comment that got me thinking. I couldn't remember which thread it was in so I decided to just start a new one.

It's only in the last year or so that I became interested in the P60 platform so I don't have a good reference for whether or not the P60 ecosystem as a whole is drying up, but a year ago there were lots of different hosts available through the Solarforce website and now there's barely a handful.

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think that the P60 platform is not really optimized for very-high-output (very high heat) which has since become popular.

Additionally, that platform was initiated and driven by the SureFire incandescent "ecosystem" of interchangeable parts, but now has been nearly wholly discontinued.

Those who still appreciate the modular aspect of flashlights built around easily replaceable dropins and "lego-type" parts have mostly transitioned to Malkoff's MDx platform instead.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 years ago I had no interest in the P60 platform because of the heat issue, but now that I can get 100L modules that run cool, I find it a very compelling platform, especially the polymer hosts. I have no need for a 1000+L monster on my belt. That kind of light can live in the house or car.

I've got a MD2 and like it plenty, but tend to reach for a G2 or Nextorch GT6A first.

--flatline

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
have no knowledge of solace intent about p60, but if they stop making them, good for them, p60 format was a compromise, a bandaid, it greatly limits led potential.

scout24

Flashaholic
I respectfully disagree. I can get 450 lumens for an hour plus, continuous duty on time, out of a Surefire P/C/Z/D two cell host. There are lights of similar size with brighter ANSI specs, but what's their output after a couple of minutes?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is more that the platform as a whole is is just not as desirable. I own a few of them but while having a simple on/off light is perfectly fine in a lot of cases, I prefer to have more than just binary function in my EDC light. My EDC light now is my Olight M2T Warrior. I like having the ultra low and low in addition to the max blast of 1200 lumens. I also love the way the Olight UI works. It is how I feel a "tactical" light should function.

I am a little disappointed that Solarforce hasn't continued to make more interesting designs for their hosts, but nowadays I'm not so sure I'd be buying them unless it was really interesting or unique. I did like the L2N design...just failed to buy it when it was readily available...maybe I can dig one up somewhere.

I really do think that it's all about options, for output mostly but sometimes other things in addition. Most P60 modules have to power cycle to change outputs if they have more than one level. I personally dislike that and only have one from Mountain Elec. that's in a SolarForce host for around the house use. I do wish there were more options for the platform, I just don't see it happening so I have moved on to other more feature rich lights.

Short_Round

Newly Enlightened
I bought a last batch of L2M hosts on ebay not long ago, but I'm having trouble finding a decent price on the .8-4.2v drop-ins I like.
0c71363a55745e1dabdbea7a84851548.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone knows the size of o-rings for L2 tail?? i e mailed Solarforce CS they were no help at all

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone knows the size of o-rings for L2 tail?? i e mailed Solarforce CS they were no help at all

The one I just pulled off of my older L2 appears to be roughly 7/8 OD with the o-ring itself being approximately 1/16th of an inch thick.