getting a tight beam using a fraen lp (lux III)

clicker

Newly Enlightened
I just finished up my first homebuilt lux III. I'm very happy with the project the only hang up I have is it seems that I don't have a lot of throw from the light. It definitely is bright but I'm not getting much distance out of it. I'm currently using a fraen lp and I can adjust the height of the optic from 0 to about .250 inches above the emitter. Right now I have a tight square shaped beam shot. Any thoughts on getting better throw from the light????

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: getting a tight beam using a fraen lp (lux III

Tight square shaped beam sounds about right for fraen lp, you did well.

Best throw will come from a well centered reflector rather than an optic, bigger the reflector better the throw. McGizmo gets great throw from the PR heads [and they are not that big].

vacuum3d

Enlightened

I had the same problem (square hotspot). lambda suggested that I use a reflector instead of an optics. I put my led behind a Mag 2D reflector. Wow, beautiful strong tight circular hotspot.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

clicker,

I'm not sure what size constraints you have, since I don't know what the LuxIII is in. But the full sized Fraen narrow optic produces a tighter beam, and without the squarish corona and the sudden drop in light output as you move out from the corona. Throw something like acrylite over it and it makes for a completly smooth medium range beam. If you still want more throw, use a 30mm optic or a large reflector.

In my opinion, Fraen LP is good for what it is - a small optic. But better results can be obtained if you're willing to go larger.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, the Fraen LP and the full sized Fraen have very similar beams. The full sized Fraen has a more round beam though.

The Fraen LP is what it is. It's a very good optic for small lights. If all the space that you have is enough to accomodate an optic, then you have a small light and the Fraen LP and the NX05 are probably the only choices that you have. A reflector the same size of the Fraen LP, won't get you more throw. In fact, it will probably get you less, but you'll have sidespill.

Simply put, the Fraen LP will NOT make a light a long distance thrower, in comparison to, say, a PR equipped light. It will make for a very good medium range light that will put lots of light on the subject. In my neck of the woods (meaning suburbs with lots of ambient lighting) the Fraen LP does well out to 40 yards or so.

If you want more throw, go with a light that will accomodate a PR. If size is not a concern, then a M@g reflector is in order.