Moved to the forest, need recommendation for a rechargable light

GlitteringPrizes

Newly Enlightened
Moved to a more rural area and it's pretty much pitch black at night.

Can anyone recommend a good rechargable light that will be used frequently?

Ideally it will have high output and recharge without taking it apart.

So far, I've been looking at a PROTAC HPL USB, because I have a streamlight and like the output but the battery life is a but poor (maybe it has a faulty end cap since the tentap/strobe doesn't work either?). Area there any better options?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moved to a more rural area and it's pretty much pitch black at night.

Can anyone recommend a good rechargable light that will be used frequently?

Ideally it will have high output and recharge without taking it apart.

So far, I've been looking at a PROTAC HPL USB, because I have a streamlight and like the output but the battery life is a but poor (maybe it has a faulty end cap since the tentap/strobe doesn't work either?). Area there any better options?

If you have a Streamlight, and you think you are having problems with it, contact their Customer Service, they are great to deal with!

Streamlight has some great stuff that should fill your needs.

Good luck!

tbhracing

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the Streamlight ProTac HPL and really like it too. I switched it to the low-medium-high mode with no strobe. Also agree with sending it in to Streamlight to get the tail cap fixed.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Not long ago I got an Astrolux FT03 and I like it.

I also like the convoy S2+ (if I remove that battery it is rechargeable).

The two have completely different characteristics, so it depends upon what you want the light to do.

SKV89

Enlightened
Wuben TO50R, Thrunite T1 for most compact powerhouse, upcoming Astrolux MF01 Mini, Olight Seeker 2, Sofirn SP36, and BLF GT1 to prepare for blackouts

GlitteringPrizes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions!

I was on my way to throw some waste food in the compost pile tonight when all of a sudden something growled at me from the trees. Needless to say, I decided to turn around... that's what I get for calling the dog a coward for high tailing it back to the garage the other day.

I'm split between the klarus XT21X and the Streamlight ProTac HPL. The others seem too big or not bright enough (at least in specs). Any reason to pick one over the other?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I love the dual tail switch setup that Klarus uses. You can switch the light on using the paddle switch to low and bump up to what is comfortable, then hit the main button to get max output overriding what it was set to and when you release the main button, it switches off. You can also just use the side switch to turn it on and off. Comparing it to the Protac HPL, the Klarus is gonna be significantly brighter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was thinking of starting a "anybody see woods walker" thread fearing Bigfoot may have convinced you to stay completely off the grid forever.

When I lived in dark country I actually did not need as much light as I do where all the free lumens cast shadows everywhere. An incan minimag caused me to squint. Heck the full moon caused me to squint back then.

One thing with a Streamlight is the way they annodize the body means even slight loosen of the tailcap can cause the circuit to be cut creating a seemingly faulty tailcap. In those cases I stick a small amount of alluminum foil over the threads,which adds a thread lock aspect and lengthens the contact area between the threads on the tailcap and the body.

The ProTac HL5 is about as big as a Stinger (or perhaps a 3C cell sized incan) and puts out big numbers. In dark country it can be programmed to start on low,which is 250 lumens for a whole bunch of hours, then medium is a thousand lumens. If you want to see down the road a way the 3500 lumen high is available. It can run off primaries at times when the all night generator is down, say after an ice storm that knocked out power to you and the other 45 residents in the county. So while power crews are restoring electricity to areas with larger populations you'll have a backup plan in play.

Speaking of backups, perhaps a Microstream USB would be in order for portability sake.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Banned
That Streamlight Protac HPL will last you forever. I like it because I can put it under my arm and it will stay. I too go out in the dark county and will use either the HPL or the Pelican 7060.

GlitteringPrizes

Newly Enlightened
One thing with a Streamlight is the way they annodize the body means even slight loosen of the tailcap can cause the circuit to be cut creating a seemingly faulty tailcap. In those cases I stick a small amount of alluminum foil over the threads,which adds a thread lock aspect and lengthens the contact area between the threads on the tailcap and the body.

The ProTac HL5 ... can run off primaries at times when the all night generator is down, say after an ice storm that knocked out power to you and the other 45 residents in the county. So while power crews are restoring electricity to areas with larger populations you'll have a backup plan in play.

Speaking of backups, perhaps a Microstream USB would be in order for portability sake.

Thanks for the suggestion on the tailcap, I'll check it out.

For power outs, I have a couple of protac hl's which fit the bill alright. I am looking specifically at similarly sized rechargeable lights, so I don't go through batteries as fast (using it daily).

And after checking out more of the brands, I've gotten the sudden urge to find a usb-c chargeable light rather than micro usb... so into the rabbit hole I go.