Please recommend something to replace a FourSevens Paladin...

dchang0

Newly Enlightened
Hi, everyone--

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

My beloved FourSevens Paladin is starting to fail (the tailcap switch has something loose moving around inside that sometimes interferes with function, often turning on the light in my pocket). I am looking for a replacement that is fairly similar in UI and convenience.

1) How ... purchase?
Online preferred but in-person okay too.

2) Budget?
Up to $150 (like the Paladin)

3) Format?
Flashlight

4) Size?
Tiny (EDC, 2-3 inches)
Smaller is better, but not too short to actually hold on to while operating the button with one hand
Lighter weight is better
Can be unusual form factor like Surefire Sidekick or Guardian or parallel AAA like the Frelux Synergy1

5) Emitter?
LED

6) Mfg?
No preference, so long as it has a good warranty and ready availability of parts.

7) Power source?
Accepts ONE CR123, AA, AAA cell OR TWO AAA cells in parallel
Can accept either rechargeable or non-rechargeable chemistries

7a) Rechargeable how?
No preference

8) OTF light?
Low (1-10 lumens), Medium (75 to 100 lumens), Burst (200+ lumens) modes

9) Flood vs. Throw?
Wide Throw preferred, Narrow Flood or Narrow Throw acceptable

9a) Distance?
5 to 50 yards

10) Runtime?
30 to 60 minutes

11) Durability?
Very Important (camping/backpacking/fishing)
If AA or AAA, can be disassembled at both ends for cleaning out leaks and prefer plastic battery liner or tube.
If CR123, disassembly at both ends is preferred but not required.

12) Switch?
Forward clicky button--recessed if no lockout feature, can be exposed if there is lockout
Button can be in any ergonomic location (don't have to contort fingers or use two hands to operate button)
Bigger switch is preferred, but obviously AAA can't have too big a switch.

13) UI?
At least the 3 light levels above (Low, Medium, Burst) within immediate reach. More is okay if the other modes are hidden somehow.
If the button is not recessed, must have lock-out feature (can be twist-operated lock-out, just like the Paladin).
Prefer to have twist-lock-on if button is momentary-only OR a button that is both momentary with light press and stays on once pushed past the click.
Prefer NOT to have selector ring.
Prefer strobe and beacon modes.
Prefer programmable.

14) Material
No preference, but if it's Aluminum, it should be Type III Hard Anodized. Plastic/polymer is fine so long as it is tough.

15) Water resistance
between IPX7 and IPX8. Specifically, can drop in water up to 10ft deep for 1 hour (I will attempt to retrieve the light by then)

16) Storage conditions
In house or in pocket, carried daily

17) Special needs
NO MAGNETS!
Has removable S-shaped forward and reverse pocket clip with ability to be worn on a hat brim (like on the Paladin)
Prefer tailcap stand (if a split ring is installed, it does not interfere with the tailcap stand)
Prefer that it has simple knurling, no ribbed appearance

In spite of the above list, I'm actually pretty flexible about the flashlight. In the end, the only hard requirements are the size (about 2 to 3 inches), forward-clicky button, momentary and lock-on, lock-out if button is not recessed, the immediate access to Low, Medium, and Burst modes (other modes hidden), durable enough to last for years of EDC, waterproof past IPX7, no magnets, and a removable S-shaped pocket clip.

Back in the day, I had a Quark 123 that met almost all these requirements (pocket clip was not removable, nor was it S-shaped). I think I had to pay extra for the forward-clicky button (was it called the "Tactical tailcap" or something like that?

Thanks again!

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
I recommen streamlight Protac 1L1AA in coyote brown tactical flashlight. it accepts either 1 aa or CR123A cell, with increased brightness and vastly increased runtime with CR123A. there is also automatic adapter built in, automatically extend to fit the larger cell.(AA) no need to take out adapter and risk losing it.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
No outside purchase links in this forum please, as highlighted in yellow above

Please also remove or rehost your "hotlinked" photo above.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
ok sorry didnt know sorry
I realize that your next post was already in the queue, but you have again hotlinked another photo.

I know that you are new to CPF, please do take a moment to review the rules. The main page is located here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/Rules.html

... but certain sections (such as the MarketPlace, as well as this "Recommend" subforum) have additional details.

Thank you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Paladin was/is a whole lot of things in a very small package. Something yet to be equaled or even similar in approach.

Closest thing I ever saw was a 1 cell SureFire Aviator body with an incan head using a 300 lumen Tana SingLED and a Scout tailcap. But even that was nowhere near as portable as the Paladin.

Perhaps a Mini Mk II or another Paladin is in order.

dchang0

Newly Enlightened
@mrnobman

Wow, the Protac 1L-1AA looks great. It looks like it meets all my requirements, but it's just a bit too long. If it were just 0.75 inch shorter...

I still might give it a try anyway. The price is low enough that even if I don't carry it, it wouldn't bother me to toss it in a emergency kit.

@bykfixer

I agree, the Paladin is/was a fantastic flashlight in one package. I truly love mine, but due to the tailcap internal damage, it's just too unreliable now. A few weeks ago I was outside in a heatwave and the Paladin had turned on in my pocket due to whatever loose piece is inside making contact (the knob was in lockout mode). It was so hot outdoors, I didn't even notice that it was burning a hole in my pocket until I happened to look down and see the light!

It's for this reason that I don't want to buy another Paladin (or Knight). I'm guaranteed to drop it again, and since the tailcap cannot be opened, it'll be another $150 loss. I have asked Prometheus Lights if they can figure out how to open it, but I don't think it can be done.

The Mini Mk II is a twisty (no forward clicky).

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

dchang0

Newly Enlightened
I contacted Streamlight and they said that "All Streamlight products are type II anodizing."

I know from personal experience that I'll destroy Type II anodized finished fairly quickly, so unfortunately, the the Protac 1L-1AA and Protac 1L are ruled out.

It's too bad--they were close to being perfect.

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
ok fenix pd35 v2.0 UCP Digital Camo Edition max 1000 lumens then. thats my other suggestion.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about PKs more current offering?

The PR1 seems to offer ore than a slight resemblance to the one you have now aside from the Bezel of Death f course!

I love mine.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
(11) Made of military standard aluminum the Fenix PD35 flashlight is strong and durable, while not being heavy.
Is there some reason that you can not reply within a single post?

Also do you have any idea at all what the OP is even asking for?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Is there some reason that you can not reply within a single post?

Also do you have any idea at all what the OP is even asking for?

My guess would be probably trying to artificially boost post-count :rolleyes:

Please don't do that, by the way. Extraneous "fluff" posts may be deleted by staff on CPF.

Within just this one thread @mrnobman you have been asked multiple times to review the rules here ... ad links, hotlinked photos, fluff posts ... I again suggest that you do so.

dchang0

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

@mrnobman:
The Fenix PD35 is pretty cool but still too long. I might get one anyway, but not as my EDC. Thanks!

@AVService:

Wow, the PK PR1 looks like a winner! I am a bit wary that it will be hard to get parts/repairs for it, though. Same dead-end as with the Paladin in terms of support/parts.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked into the new offerings from the new Foursevens owner, Prometheus Lights? The Mini Turbo MK III is quite nice and fits your requirements with the removal of the tail magnet. The AA or 16650 Quark pre-order is up to but longer length than requested.